• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 X2 (Quick Question Regarding 32-Bit Operating Systems)

Possédé

n00b
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
24
Hello,
I'm a long time lurker, and this is my first post. I have 3GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM, and run Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I currently have a 8800 GTX, and thinking of upgrading to a 4870 X2. Now, I have skimmed through that other thread regarding this issue, but didn't find a definite answer. If I were to install a 4870X2 into my system, how much will the OS be able to address? Is the jump from the 8800GTX to the 4870 X2 worth it? (I play Crysis, TF2, STALKER Clear Sky...)

Thank you, and I apologise in advance if these questions have already been answered.
 
Well, now that is hard to say. What we do know is that a 32-bit OS has enough addresses for 4GB. We know right off the bat that 2GB of that are going to be used by the VC. That leaves 2GB for your remaining hardware to map out, then the rest for the OS.

Now this is just a guess, but I'm going to have to say that you are going to end up with only 1.2GB - 1.5GB of RAM for your OS and other applications.
 
Well, now that is hard to say. What we do know is that a 32-bit OS has enough addresses for 4GB. We know right off the bat that 2GB of that are going to be used by the VC. That leaves 2GB for your remaining hardware to map out, then the rest for the OS.

Now this is just a guess, but I'm going to have to say that you are going to end up with only 1.2GB - 1.5GB of RAM for your OS and other applications.

Pretty much the case.
 
the memory on the 4870X2 is mirrored as it is a dual GPU solution. You only need to address 1gb.So you will be able to address 3gb for the system minus the other mapped memory. So around 2.5 mb or in that range. You should be fine.
 
Dan the editor was kind enough to answer this question for me earlier. He plopped his 4870X2 into his XP 32-bit machine with 4 gigs and it showed 2.99 gigs of addressable RAM. If you're using a GTX right now, you're probably only showing at most 3.25 gigs as it is right now, so you would only lose 1/4 gig upgrading to the X2. You would still be fine.
 
any chance on getting him to post that in a thread? people just seem to refuse to believe that.
 
any chance on getting him to post that in a thread? people just seem to refuse to believe that.
He did post it in a thread. I linked that thread. You need him to post it again?
 
Someone posted a screenshot of a XP SP3 32bit install with a a 4870X2 and still 3.25GB of memory available, i am not that lucky went all the way down from 3,25GB with my 8800GT to 2,6GB on the 4870X2.
 
memorykk3.jpg


And the first thread for discussion:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1334980
 
Back
Top