4870 melting in a Fusion.

Doomeh

n00b
Hey all,

I really wanted top notch gaming on my HTPC so I figured (perhaps stupidly) that I needed a 4870 and that fitting it in my Antec Fusion case was a nobrainer. Too much heat is generated though. My screen will blink on and off once it gets to 72c or so. Im guessing its overheating, its a Golden Sample Gainward 4870. Fitting an Accellero Twin turbo does not help as its so deep it sits across 2 or 3 PCI slots and the only slot left is a PCie slot which houses my Audigy titanium. There is 5 mm clearance between the two. Right now all is well, but I have the lid off and I didnt buy the fusion for it to look awful. Anyways,

Has anyone managed to get this setup running at all? I dont think my idea of airflow is particularily good as I have generally just used normal gaming cases and not really had to. Would be great to get an idea as to how I can achieve this or if its just an already dumb idea that will cost more :)

Stuff I am using:

Gigabyte DS2R
4 GB Geil 6400 Ram
e6400 @3.0ghz (Mini Scythe Ninja)
Audigy X-fi Titanium (full height)
Gainward GS 4870

The HTPC is clone viewing with 2 1080P screens, my 42" LCD and 24" monitor which is my desk and hence used a lot so quiet would be an even better bonus. I guess an airflow diagram is what I am asking for. TIA.

Sounds like you just have too much stuffed into a tight space... you need to increase your airflow through the box... since its an htpc your kind of in a jam because you want it to be as quiet as possible, but your equipment is calling for more fans... if you don't mind the noise, add a few fans... can't really tell you if thats going to solve the problem though... you have a lot of heat to dissipate and not a lot of room to work with...

I'm assuming you've already cleaned all the dust in there out.. and moved it away from your radiator or hot air vents...

Yes its not in my oven ;) .

Whats a bit annoying is that I have spent a lot on quiet fans, replaced all the stock one With Noctuas and Acoustifans yet I dont think they help as all they are doing is chucking hot air around...

I am looking at the new Max Antec case which look like its more than capable of chucking heat out but I just wanted to see if anyone had any crazy ideas before I go buy more :)

Probably want to switch to a 4670 or a 4830. I tried stuffing a 2900XT in the fusion but it didn't fit because of the top mount PCIe power connectors, either way, there wasn't much room for it to breath.

Let us know if you get the max, I've been eyeing it too.

Hey all,

I really wanted top notch gaming on my HTPC so I figured (perhaps stupidly) that I needed a 4870 and that fitting it in my Antec Fusion case was a nobrainer. Too much heat is generated though. My screen will blink on and off once it gets to 72c or so. Im guessing its overheating, its a Golden Sample Gainward 4870. Fitting an Accellero Twin turbo does not help as its so deep it sits across 2 or 3 PCI slots and the only slot left is a PCie slot which houses my Audigy titanium. There is 5 mm clearance between the two. Right now all is well, but I have the lid off and I didnt buy the fusion for it to look awful. Anyways,

Has anyone managed to get this setup running at all? I dont think my idea of airflow is particularily good as I have generally just used normal gaming cases and not really had to. Would be great to get an idea as to how I can achieve this or if its just an already dumb idea that will cost more :)

Stuff I am using:

Gigabyte DS2R
4 GB Geil 6400 Ram
e6400 @3.0ghz (Mini Scythe Ninja)
Audigy X-fi Titanium (full height)
Gainward GS 4870

The HTPC is clone viewing with 2 1080P screens, my 42" LCD and 24" monitor which is my desk and hence used a lot so quiet would be an even better bonus. I guess an airflow diagram is what I am asking for. TIA.

Which power supply do you have? I've seen these cards idle around where yours is at... within 10 degrees. I don't blame the video card.

+1 on normal gaming temps

Also, you may want to find a stock HeatSink for that 4870's as they exhaust the heat out of the back of the case. May help some of the heat, but I don't think it's the cause of problem

Yeah, that was a stupid mistake. You would have been fine with a 4850 at 1920x1080 gaming and I know for a fact that it fits in the case cause I just had one in my Fusion.

Which power supply do you have? I've seen these cards idle around where yours is at... within 10 degrees. I don't blame the video card.

My PSU is a 700 watt Jean Tech Storm, yes I know, it was bought when the original 430 watt died as an emergency buy(molex pin worked its way out of its housing) and I just havent got round to getting rid but saying that its done OK as far as I can tell.

+1 on normal gaming temps

Also, you may want to find a stock HeatSink for that 4870's as they exhaust the heat out of the back of the case. May help some of the heat, but I don't think it's the cause of problem

I'd say the software he's using to get that value is wrong.

Your finger (and the singed layer of skin) dont lie.

the layout of the fusion wants to pull air in the expansion slot (as well as the HDD zone) and dump it out the right hand side if the case. cards that exhaust out of the case don't work very well but if you use the rear case fan in the stock position to draw air from the cpu and the forward fan to suck air in as little as a card board divider cleverly cut and bent will feed your card with plenty of air. its ok if there is a but of restriction you just need the air moving in the right directions. your hard drives wont care about the revers flow much.

my card is passive and gets very hot under normal load. i divided the ninja mini so the rear vents feed the cpu. my card and south bridge dump their heat out the rear. i don't have any pics yet of the ducting but i hope this is a clear explanation of an option.

Well after a bit of complete re-wiring and double checking the fans I have it sorted. I had one of the Noctua 120's sucking air in which seems to have messed the airflow. Card now idles at 46c and peaks at 63c during 1080p Fallout 3 with full everything AA etc. Im a very happy camper for now. It could still go wrong I guess but I dont play anything more GPU intensive at the moment other than EVE online which is all I wanted to work.

So it seems you can 4870 in a Fusion. At least I dont have to lay down £175 for the same but bigger Max version. :D

how does it fit in there?

My GTX260 wouldn't fit in my fusion by a long shot

break out the hacksaw and drill :D

6634573_c676421b45.jpg

6634568_4f29469a91.jpg

6634576_dada21a783.jpg

Back