• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 Crossfire on X38

rennyf77

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
2,865
finally got around to unwrapping the cellophane off two brand spanking new his 4870's. i intended to post a crossfire comparison between x38 and p45 chipset boards, but i never got to trying many titles nor testing the card in the p45 rig. here are the specs of the x38 build:

q6600@3.38 ghz
asus maximus formula se
4x1 ocz ddr1100 5-5-5-15@1000mhz
raptor 150 raid0
vista ultimate 64

i only tried crysis once at 16x10, the rest of the tests were at 19x12. i chose to use the same stage that the [H] editors use in their video card evals. i began recording frame rates with fraps from the end of the cut scene when nomad receives the orders to take out the anti aircraft batteries, and ended following the landing of the vtol after destroying the second battery. i have god mode enabled, as well as unlimited ammo. i pretty much moved through the stage, taking out enemies and buildings with the rocket launcher. i played through the stage three times with each of my three sets of settings. my numbers aren't an average of the three runs, but the recorded numbers of the first run; using the 2 subsequent test plays to verify that there wasn't something weird going on.

1680x1050: all high 16x af. min 3, max 52, avg 28.32
1920x1200: object medium 16x af, rest high. min 0, max 40, avg 21.92
1920x1200: object/shadow medium 16x af, rest high. min 3, max 55, avg 32.86

i tried all settings at high with a resolution of 19x12 but that was utterly unplayable. the game remained in the low 20's even when there was nothing going on around you. micro stuttering was present at all times, but not to any excessive degree. even at the lowest average fps run, the micro stuttering was no more distracting than the already slow pace. i like the third set of settings best. even with the occasional micro stuttering, the game felt incredibly smooth because it felt like the 4870's kept the game from hitting minimum frame rates a large portion of the time. i was only able to make one run with shaders on very high, object/shadow on medium, and the rest on high so i didn't include them in my results, but the game play felt nearly as smooth as the third series of settings.

i made two series of runs in cod4 and after doing so, i understand why [H] dropped the game from their stable of tests. when it wasn't micro stuttering, the game was flying at impressively fluid frame rates. unfortunately, 4870's in cf micro stutter a lot in this game. i chose not to use 1600 resolutions in the cod4 test because i feel anyone contemplating buying two 4870 cards to play this game at $300+ a piece can and should spend $300+ on a monitor capable of at least 1920x1200. i chose the war pig stage and played through the entire stage on standard difficulty using fraps to record frame rates.

1920x1200: max in-game, 16x af, 8x ssaa box filter. min 9, max 417, avg 116.28
1920x1200: max in-game, 16x af, 16x ssaa box filter. min 9, max 372, avg 112.72

i tried 8x ssaa with edge detect, but the frame rates were unplayable.

i'll drag my p45 system into work tomorrow and try to run some tests. i'll probably also include a series of grid runs. hopefully someone interested in trying 4870's in crossfire will find this post useful.
 
Thanks for all the info, I've got a similer setup I've just thrown together, i've got a Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz, 4Gb RAM, and I'm waiting for my order of 4870's to arrive, i've orderd 2, this all sits on my Asus P5E x38 mobo.

I'm worrying a bit about this "micro stutter" people keep talking about, how bad is this really? I'm usualy quite sensitive to low frame rates and tend to prefer 50-60fps average in most games, even more if I'm playing competatively.

I'm not sure how clear my idea of microstutter is, surely at 100+fps that you're getting in CoD microstutter is hard, or almost impossible to detect? It doesn't sound like the case...I'm getting a bit worried about this now.

I dont know if microstutter was ever apparant on the 7950GX2 card which is the only other multiple gpu setup i've had, if it was then I never noticed it, and if thats all that microstutter is then I'm not too worried.

Is this a constant effect that you feel all the time, or is it every few seconds a small pause or something like that?
 
How is the improvement in CF over single card in crysis? It would be interesting to see your bench results in very high settings though.
 
i feel anyone contemplating buying two 4870 cards to play this game at $300+ a piece can and should spend $300+ on a monitor capable of at least 1920x1200. hopefully someone interested in trying 4870's in crossfire will find this post useful.

:eek: OMG someone with brains is posting today!!! There is NO point in spending $300+ on a VGA if you dont have a 19x12 or 25x16 monitor coming!

At 16x10 the 8800gt was a very good card already and the 4850/9800GTX+ pretty much closes the issue: mid/high end cards are for MID/HIGH monitors, $200 cards are all you need for 16x10 gaming. Maybe a moron could show numbers of 100pfsx160fps to " prove" that card A is better than card B but anything above 60fps is meaningless since the monitors top at 60Hz refreshrate in 16x10 and above resolutions.
 
120x1920 = 230400 fewer pixels as opposed to 1920x1200's 2,304,000 total pixels or a 10% less work to do. So 1920x1080 has maybe ~5-6% higher frame rates then 1920x1200. That's just a guess though.
 
I get microstuttering ONLY in cod2 and cod4 with a single 4850 card. The games start off smooth for about 3 minutes and then the micro stuttering starts. This is not related to crossfire, it's an ati issue whether it be hardware or drivers. Seeing as I pretty much only play cod2 multi these days this is a concern for me. It's more of a nuisance than anything so far but these 2 games are nowhere near as smooth as they were with my 8800gts640, even though the framerate is 20% better now with the 4850. I hope they can fix this, but I'm not holding my breath since it will most likely not affect everyone.
 
How is the improvement in CF over single card in crysis? It would be interesting to see your bench results in very high settings though.

thanks for the suggestion. i'll try to run crysis on a single card. as to playing on very high, it might be possible at 1680x1050, but since the performance with everything on high at 1920x1200 was so piss poor, i can imagine how much worse everything on very high at 1920x1200 can be. keep in mind that i will always try to run 16x aniso.
 
I'm not sure how clear my idea of microstutter is, surely at 100+fps that you're getting in CoD microstutter is hard, or almost impossible to detect?

the micro stutter is pretty easy to pick out even with the high frame rates. here's an example: the first quarter of war pig after taking out two choppers, i ran back into the bus the enemies were using as cover to get a 30 cal one of them drops. as i exit the bus from the front with the 30 cal the game goes into convulsions. like someone is vigorously shaking me while i play.
 
I get microstuttering ONLY in cod2 and cod4 with a single 4850 card. The games start off smooth for about 3 minutes and then the micro stuttering starts. This is not related to crossfire, it's an ati issue whether it be hardware or drivers. Seeing as I pretty much only play cod2 multi these days this is a concern for me. It's more of a nuisance than anything so far but these 2 games are nowhere near as smooth as they were with my 8800gts640, even though the framerate is 20% better now with the 4850. I hope they can fix this, but I'm not holding my breath since it will most likely not affect everyone.

its a bit disheartening that you're experiencing micro stuttering on a single card. the power play bug may be back.
 
i have 4850's on a x38 and I experience no stuttering at all, its butttery smooth
 
I don't like 24 inch monitors so I'll stick to my 22 inch 1680x1050 native resolution, and maybe even crossfire 2 4870x2 upon release, but thanks for the advice renny ;)
 
I don't like 24 inch monitors so I'll stick to my 22 inch 1680x1050 native resolution, and maybe even crossfire 2 4870x2 upon release, but thanks for the advice renny ;)

excellent, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. my recommendation was really in regards to cod4. i mean how much more can you max out the game than 16x super sampled aa at 16x10.
 
i have 4850's on a x38 and I experience no stuttering at all, its butttery smooth

I've got a pair as well on an X48 (which as far as I can tell is nearly the same chipset) and it's perfectly smooth as well. I haven't seen this problem in any game that I play.
 
Well I only get the stuttering in call of duty games. I get it very slightly in nfs pro street but that game blows anyway and I just tested it to see the difference in performance between my 8800 and my 4850. I did notice when playing cod2 that the CCC throttled down to 500/750 once or twice then back up and then stayed at 500/750 after that. No games would go beyond 500/750 after that until i reset the o/c speeds on the CCC. I havent been able to duplicate that again though. I think there may be some power play going on in there. these drivers are pretty bad so hopefully when a new catalyst version comes out they will have the drivers designed FOR these cards and not just to work with them willy nilly like what we have now. Looks to me like they released the card nvidia style with great hardware and no driver support :( When in Rome i suppose...
 
crysis will get better with drivers. i bet if you use gpu-z and alt-tab to sensors while running, that your second gpu isn't doing any work at all. those numbers aren't much better than mine with two 4850's and i know one of my gpus is watching the other one work.
 
OP are you testing in XP or Vista? I've noticed in my own testing that CF seems to be totally broken for Crysis in XP with the current drivers - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1329492

cfxxpnc6.gif


:eek: OMG someone with brains is posting today!!! There is NO point in spending $300+ on a VGA if you dont have a 19x12 or 25x16 monitor coming!


I get so sick of hearing this parroted all the time. Maybe not everyone buys a new videocard every 6 months and would like some insurance for future games. Or maybe some people prefer max settings, filtering, AND guaranteed 50+ fps (except in Crysis :rolleyes::p)
 
What about a 1080p monitor, playing at 1920x1080? 4870XF worth it?

I run CF 4870's on a Hitachi 42", running 1080p, with one card on Assassins Creed I had to lower the AA to 1/3, at certain points it would get a bit choppy, but totally playable with 2/3, with crossfire I maxed it out no problem!

On WoW I could use 8xAA no problem at 1080p with one card, with 2 I now use edge detect, actually I don't see a big difference in that game so its not totally a big issue I guess.

With Crysis theres always going to be increases :rolleyes:

Running 4870CF, P45, Q9450 at 3.6, 2x2gig of Corsair 1066
 
heres my results on my system p45 with both a gtx280 and 2x4870 cards, spec below

Vantage
15,538 - 2x4870 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=254990
14,006 - single gtx 280 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=229529

3dmark 2006
21,524 - 2x4870 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7579301
19,018 - single gtx 280 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=7432871

the only differnce is the video card

the ati 4870 cards are @ 790 core
the gtx 280 card is @ 715 core


< Message edited by wesg79 -- 7/29/2008 7:13:34 AM >

_____________________________
Q9450 2.6 @ 3.8 8x475 1.23v (air, TRUE)
8 GB Mushkin Ascent 1066
Two 4870 in CrossfireX
ASUS Maximus II Formula p45
1920x1200, 24" LCD
Vista 64 Bit, Velociraptor x 2 Raid 0
Corsair 1000w PSU
Antec 1200, 250gb 2.5" removeable
 
Back
Top