4870 Aftermarket Cooling Options

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. It looks like it fixes the 2 biggest issies I have with the S1, that the turbo fans look cheap being attached to the S1, and that the SLI cable should fit better with the Twin Turbo since that big plastic piece isn't there. If I knew it was say, coming out in the next 2 weeks, I'd wait. But I guess I won't now.

hm, i plan to wait a little to get a vga cooler but the question is, T-rad2 or twin turbo? i like the fact that i could put my own 92mm fans on the t-rad2 but I'm still curious about the twin turbo, overall which do you think would be better estimate wise?

You and I are in the same camp. Once I read about the homebrew fix to fan speeds, I stopped obsessing while reading this thread...:D

Just take the cover off of the stock cooler and tape an 80mm fan to it. I used to do this with my PCI-E version of the 6800 and it dramatically improved cooling. Its ugly, but it maximized the potential of the heatsink for cheap. I just unplugged the built-in fan so I didn't have to hear its whiny little ass.

I installed the HR-03GT on my 4870 and noticed the VRM's are getting really warm to the touch. I still dont have an OS on the machine so I assume when it makes it into the OS these might cool down after the software takes control? I even stuck a sink on the vtec chip because it was hot also.

anyone looking for the GFXChilla, NCIXUS.com has them for 20.93$ Shipping was 13$ for Fedex Saver. Because of micro-atx case I am currently using an AC S1 passive. Its keeping my temps pretty low, but I am looking to O/C my 4850 more and passive will just not cut it.

Here is the direct link: http://www.ncixus.com/products/28504/KL-02/Coolink/

I have the GFXChilla's installed on my 4870 crossfire setup. They work really well and are pretty silent.

Do the stock 80x10mm fans just fit into two slots. Would love to add 2 80x25mm fans and run them at 7 volts. ;)

My GFXChilla came in today, looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it out when I get my card next week. :D

Got my Thermalright HR-03GT installed with 92mm Kama flex 1,600 rpm fan. Setup is near silent. I did install a small 60x10mm fan over the VRM chips as even with the sinks they were getting hot. Getting 45C at idle with my case fans running @ 800rpm. Max temp I have seen so far was 56C. Cooler is working out real well.

Got my Thermalright HR-03GT installed with 92mm Kama flex 1,600 rpm fan. Setup is near silent. I did install a small 60x10mm fan over the VRM chips as even with the sinks they were getting hot. Getting 45C at idle with my case fans running @ 800rpm. Max temp I have seen so far was 56C. Cooler is working out real well.

Pics would be nice on any of these setups....any takers? :D

Does anyone know if the Thermalright V2 can be installed rotated 90º either way, as you can see I'm short for space above the card so I think the heat pipes would probably get in the way.

Eh, So I got around to putting DuOrbs on my 4850s. Pretty much what you've heard is true, they cool the GPU well, and the fans are noisy. Noisier than the stocks at idle, but of course much quieter than the stocks at full. I've got a fan controller on them at the moment, that seems to be the best bet, it's still running in the 40s at idle but with less noise.

I've got a problem though, something is overheating I think. When I tried to run the auto-tune in CCC, when it got to my 2nd card, the system froze up. I restarted, fired up 3DMark, started testing, and the system froze up again. Now originally, I put the cooler on the 2nd card first and played some COD4 with it Xfired to my stock card and didn't have any problems, though I don't think COD4 stresses out the GPU as much as either of the tests that froze, so I may have just gotten lucky, so this is a drag, not sure how to narrow this down.

Oh, for the install, I only used the included PWM sinks on the 4 big power things, and I ended up using some Zalman heatsinks for all the RAM and the 2 groups of 4 ICs, I just liked the design of the Zalman sinks better than the plain looking sinks that came with the HSF.

I thought the DuOrb might block one of the CF bridges, but it wasn't a problem, both go on ok.

EDIT:Forgot to mention temps, it's basically running 20 degrees cooler than the stock cooler at idle, and 20-25 cooler at load. Just did a test with the CF turned off and the system didn't freeze doing 3DMark or the Call of Juarez demo, so I bet it's card 2 for sure. I'll test it later after I get some sleep. I'm assuming since it froze during the auto-tune when it was still testing the GPU, and didn't get real far, that since the GPU temps are fine, that it's probably one of the PWMs? Which is odd, because this card runs cooler than the other because it's inline with the intake fan, so it's getting air blown on it pretty well I'd think.

I've never had good luck with Auto tune. Have you tried stock speeds?

Yeah, it's being weird. At the moment I'm wondering if it was drivers. I had no problems with Xfire with one of them still using stock cooler, and I had no problems with just 1 card in COD4 the other day. Well I tried it again with 1 card and had some issues, got told the driver wasn't responding after I quit the game. Ended up uninstalling drivers, using Driver Cleaner in safe mode, then reinstall the hotfix. Had no problem in COD4 in Xfire after that. Too soon to know if it was drivers or coincidence at this point, haven't done any game time tonight. I hope it was drivers, less hassle that way, then I don't have to worry about the card, heh.

I'm waiting on the T-Rad^2. I hope its everything i can imagine and more. Right now i just modded the CCC profile config to run it at 30%. Its really loud compared to the rest of my stuff (quiet build). But its totally worth it, I'm loving Mass Effect at 1920 maxed out.

Since the Arctic Cooling unit I wanted to try is not available yet, I went ahead and ordered the GFXChilla. I'm very happy with the results. 37C idle and 50C load with an ambient temperature of 22C. Amazingly quiet. I had to double-check it was actually working.

Installation was easy and the instructions were very detailed. I can't tell you anything you can already find in the published reviews, but it includes a nice assortment of heatsinks including low profile pieces to prevent interference with cards that have memory chips that will lie under the heatpipes (like the 4800). I used MX-2 rather than the included compound.

I had already told myself that I would order the AC anyway once it was available and replace this, but honestly, I can find no reasons not to keep this one. Other than the arguably ugly blue fans, there isn't much to dislike.

u guys think the du orb will fit in my matx case along with my x-fi card installed?? the stock cooler i proly have 1-2 cm of clearence b4 it hits my x-fi card.

Just got my 4870 and Accelero S1 in the system. Using my not entirely thorough testing and HWMonitor, looks like she's idling at about 43c and runs under full load at about 57c, in a very hot room to boot. Nice temps considering my 8800GTX with VF1000 cooler was idling at around 65c and running full load at about 87c. I'll take a full-load difference of 30c, with better performance, any day!

Quick tip for anyone worried about the bottom-most ramsink getting in the way of the Accelero's heatpipe on a 4870. If you can spend some cash, or have extras, a Zalman aftermarket ramsink has a lower profile than the stock Accelero sinks. If you attach one to the card slightly offset of centre, it'll clear the heatpipe and you'll be sure to get proper contact between the main heatsink and GPU.

Since no one knew the answer to my question about the Thermalright V2 on the previous page, I went ahead and got an Akasa Vortexx Neo for my 4850:

avn.jpg

Temps dropped from 78°c to 44°c idle, so I'm happy. Much quieter than the stock cooler.

Since no on knew the answer to my question about the Thermalright V2 on the previous page, I went ahead and got an Akasa Vortexx Neo for my 4850:

Temps dropped from 78°c to 44°c idle, so I'm happy. Much quieter than the stock cooler.

I want that cooler! Unfortunately its not sold out here. :(

how 'bout load temps on the akasa? BTW, it looks sweet.

Just got around to checking, getting about 56°c under load. Not sure how that compares to others, I'm using a micro ATX case so it gets pretty warm in there.

Personally I'm waiting to see some reviews of the T-Rad2.

I think I'm leaning toward the duorb.
I have two 4870s in my P180, and the bottom card is snug against the case wall of the p180. So it's starved for airflow to begin with, and I think adding a 3rd party cooler that uses "closed" fans isn't going to cut it. The duorb seems nice and open so I'm hoping the fans will be able to access some fresh air.

HD4870 with HR-03 GT and Noctua NF-B9 using Installation Type 2

DSCN0507.jpg

more detail in my video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1gL5TiZfY
HR-03 GT Setup Type 2
thermal paste : ArticSilver5
idle : 46 (stock clock)
full load : 55 (stock clock)

A few days ago, I changed my setup to Installation Type 1 with secondary GPU fan, it have better cooling performance. I'll post here once my video is ready :)

thunderztorm, nice setup. anyway you could find the exact height from the top of the card to the bottom of the fan for me?

Hmm.. I just changed my Setup to Installation Type 1, so I can't get the exact height of my previous Setup (Type 2).
But I just checked using my ruler, it's should be around 8cm (less)
And if we look from the spec, the fan is 25mm, HR-03 GT itself is 51mm, so yeah it's should be less than 80mm ;)

Finally getting a pic up of my setup. Ive got it at 865/1100 no voltage mod and ended up getting an Antec spot cooler for the VRM's which is working out REALLY well. Those things get real hot and I think this may have helped my OC keeping them cool. I still have not pushed the card to its OC limit.

IMG_1797.jpg

Here are some images with my 4850 + GFXChilla. There are no sinks on the regulators or ram and it idles around 34C.

im000361smfs9.jpg

im000362smpg6.jpg

HD4870 with HR-03 GT and Noctua NF-B9 using Installation Type 1

So here's my HR-03 GT Setup Type 1 pic and video is ready =D

DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

This time with secondary GPU fan that blow to the RAM/VRM, but that small fan crashed with my HR-03 GT heatpipe so I had to move it 1 slot
away from the 4870, also the fan interface is quite small and short. But it does a very good job cooling the card.

More detail in my video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJ9BpjcPEY&fmt=18
HR-03 GT Setup Type 1
thermal paste : ArticSilver5
Clock : 790/1100
idle : 37-38
full load : avg 48 (barely can reach 50)

Now that's 8 degrees cooler than my last setup (Type 2)

Pulled out the old camera to make a few pics of my HD4870.

It's the standard setup most of you have seen before; Accelero S1 + heatsinks galore + 120mm cooling fan.

Click on any of the pics below for a bigger version...

-Memory heatsinks and VRM heatsink are held on with Sekisui 5760 thermal tape. Excellent sticking power. Great stuff.

-The memory heatsink nearest to the bottom heatpipe is from the Thermalright HR-03 GT VRM heatsink set. It's a bit smaller than the Accelero memory heatsinks and fits just right.

-The 120mm cooling fan is a Scythe S-Flex SFF21E (1200RPM). I have it running at 100%, and it's hardly noticable. Very effective cooling power.
where did you get that low profile ramsink that's under the heatpipe?

Back