4850X2

Actually, new drivers notwithstanding, I seemed to workout the DX9 microstuttering in Warhead that I posted about earlier. Enabled v-sync and smooth mouse in game, disabled some background OS stuff. It runs like butter 1920 x 1200 with gamer settings. It's like a completely different game with 40-50 fps. on the ice levels. Fired up some Fallout 3 for a few hours for the first time in a while, also. Very nice!

I felt if I worked with it long enough, I could get most of the bugs out. I'm liking this card more and more every day...

So what exactly is the difference between the 50 and 70x2's?

Memory speed/memory bandwidth and core clock. I doubt that memory bandwidth would be a problem since the RAM are mirrored so the bandwidth is theoretically doubled.

Nothing is at fault here, the game just loads at a very low resolution which is not supported by the TV. This is normal for older games and I'm sure that you will come across this problem again with some other older games.

There is nothing you can do... or maybe there is, try using GPU scaling option. I guess that the option could scale the game to fit the higher resolution. I think that this way your TV will always see the resolution from your card as 1920x1080.

I've had GPU scaling enabled the whole time.

there are some really great deals on this card now. found the 4850 x2 2gb for 279.99 after MIR. you guys think this is an upgrade from my GTX 280 oc, or is it wasted $? I'm about the play Crysis Warhead, finishing up Jericho... not sure what else I will be playing but I love my FPSers.

*added: I play at 1920x1200 on 24"

I've heard a rumour that ATI will Make there own 4850X2, if so I'll prob get one then, also sapphire is gonna make a new card that has quieter fan's. Also You can get a 4850X2 for 280.00 before Mir.

Yeah, I just picked one up for 279.00 with no rebate and free shipping.

Looking forward to trying this baby out.

there are some really great deals on this card now. found the 4850 x2 2gb for 279.99 after MIR. you guys think this is an upgrade from my GTX 280 oc, or is it wasted $? I'm about the play Crysis Warhead, finishing up Jericho... not sure what else I will be playing but I love my FPSers.

*added: I play at 1920x1200 on 24"

Check the reviews listed above. IMO this is the best bang-for-the-buck card on the market. I probably wouldn't buy it if I already had a 280, but you may feel differently.

I've heard a rumour that ATI will Make there own 4850X2, if so I'll prob get one then, also sapphire is gonna make a new card that has quieter fan's. Also You can get a 4850X2 for 280.00 before Mir.

I'll believe an ATi self-branded card and a new 4850 X2 from Sapphire when I see them.

And while we're talking about seeing things, would anyone have an explanation as to why Windows Experience Index rates my 4850 X2 at 1.0? (Yes, I re-ran its system scanner.)

Check the reviews listed above. IMO this is the best bang-for-the-buck card on the market. I probably wouldn't buy it if I already had a 280, but you may feel differently.

I'll believe an ATi self-branded card and a new 4850 X2 from Sapphire when I see them.

And while we're talking about seeing things, would anyone have an explanation as to why Windows Experience Index rates my 4850 X2 at 1.0? (Yes, I re-ran its system scanner.)

How is your card? You were hesitating before to buy it, but now you already have the card, did you make the right choice?

are you using stoptimer or a cracked version of vista?

to the other guy. while this card beats the 280 in all tests (except vantage - doyyyyyy) in the links i posted above, it doesnt beat it by much. now that the price has dropped you may want to consider another 280, if your mb will support it.

i think its a little late in the game for an ati branded card (card was supposed to drop in september). but i totally expect some of the smaller brands to put them out, eg h.i.s., apollo, powercolor.

I was just getting ready to drop the cash on a 1GB Toxic 4870. I'm so tempted to go for this a just about the same price.

are you using stoptimer or a cracked version of vista?

Nope. Legit MSDN version of Vista here.

Turns out it's a known issue with the way WEI scans computers. I just had to delete some XML files as per a Microsoft KB article and re-scan. Problem solved. Everything on my computer ranks 5.9, except the memory, which ranks 5.7. Pretty good for 900 bucks, IMO.

Now I just need to find good temperature monitoring program and maybe install ATi Tray Tools... unless there's a newer program which has surpassed Tray Tools.

Interesting. I wonder (some of you might know) why my 4879x2 when playing left for dead was pegged at 60fps. I noticed in a 4850x2 and 4870x2 comparisson each card was above 100fps while playing left for dead. What do I need to unlock to get performace above 60fps?

Thanks

Interesting. I wonder (some of you might know) why my 4879x2 when playing left for dead was pegged at 60fps. I noticed in a 4850x2 and 4870x2 comparisson each card was above 100fps while playing left for dead. What do I need to unlock to get performace above 60fps?

Thanks

Did you accidentally enable vsync?

Hey guys I just bought one! Hopefully I'll have a decent experience with it (no driver issues etc.). Got it for the $279.99 price at Newegg!

Hey guys I just bought one! Hopefully I'll have a decent experience with it (no driver issues etc.). Got it for the $279.99 price at Newegg!

Congrats. Good deal too, that's $20 off what I paid for it on the 8th. (I'm a little jealous, but hey, it's only a Benjamin.)

The drivers are fine, no need to worry there.

Congrats. Good deal too, that's $20 off what I paid for it on the 8th. (I'm a little jealous, but hey, it's only a Benjamin.)

The drivers are fine, no need to worry there.

Thanks man - any word of compatibility in Windows 7 at all?

it works in win7 with the cd install drivers or the updated sapphire website drvivers installed in vista compatibility mode. with the ati win7 drivers, you have to enable crossfirex after each boot. at least thats the way it works for me.

it works in win7 with the cd install drivers or the updated sapphire website drvivers installed in vista compatibility mode. with the ati win7 drivers, you have to enable crossfirex after each boot. at least thats the way it works for me.

Here's my next question...

My brother has an ASUS SLI motherboard with a single 4850. Which of course...he wants to upgrade to the 4850 X2.

Can he actually do that with a 4850 X2 because it uses xfire & it's an SLI motherboard?

Here's my next question...

My brother has an ASUS SLI motherboard with a single 4850. Which of course...he wants to upgrade to the 4850 X2.

Can he actually do that with a 4850 X2 because it uses xfire & it's an SLI motherboard?

He can upgrade to HD 4850 X2 but he can't use tri-crossfire with his old HD 4850.

HD 4850 X2 would be faster.

I figured that much. I'm just concerned about dropping down to a single 4850 when a game isn't supported. Although, at 16x10, that may be plenty. Then again, at 16x10, and with no plans to move up to a 24"+ monitor in the future, this card is probably overkill anyway.

You can turn 1 GPU off on a 4850x2?

Yes. Open CCC, go to the CrossFireX selection at the bottom of the left-hand list, untick the box.

Sorry, didn't see your post before! I haven't tried it, but apparently installing the Sapphire drivers--either from the disc or from the website--in Vista compatibility mode will let the card work in 7 just fine. You'll have to enable Crossfire every time you boot, though.

Can any of you guys measure the card for me? I'm trying to see if it's going to fit in my case..or if I'm going to need to make some modifications.

So if you turn off crossfire x is the gpu really turned off on the 4850x2? I'm wondering if turning that off helps descrease
idle power consumption....

My order just shipped :D

Capture-1.jpg

Can any of you guys measure the card for me? I'm trying to see if it's going to fit in my case..or if I'm going to need to make some modifications.

According to Bit-Tech, it's 283mm (a little over 11 inches) long. I don't know if that's the total length including the DVI ports, or just the PCB itself.

For what it's worth, it barely fits in my CM-690 case.

You may want to invest in the Cardkeeper mentioned a page or two back. I'm seriously considering it.

Yes. Open CCC, go to the CrossFireX selection at the bottom of the left-hand list, untick the box.

Sorry, didn't see your post before! I haven't tried it, but apparently installing the Sapphire drivers--either from the disc or from the website--in Vista compatibility mode will let the card work in 7 just fine. You'll have to enable Crossfire every time you boot, though.

no, you only have to enable crossfire every time you boot if you use the amd/ati win7 drivers. the sapphire drivers work fine.

yes, its long (antec 900) and yes, it sags.

3116106895_421c7db18e.jpg

How do you turn triple buffering on? I know someone mentioned that to avoid dips in fps to turn this on, but they did not explain how to turn it on.....:confused:

Damm van that pic makes the card look like its about to fall out of the socket :eek:

Is it that heavy?

no, you only have to enable crossfire every time you boot if you use the amd/ati win7 drivers. the sapphire drivers work fine.

yes, its long (antec 900) and yes, it sags.

Can you take some more shots of it in your case - I want a better idea of scale.

Nice, keep us posted on what your results are, that goes for both the chip and card :cool:

Thanks man - will do! :D

Back