4850X2

Hey all, Got a question.
I am torn between buying a 4850x2 or a gtx 280/285. I watch a lot of movies on my PC, HD and standard. How is video playback quality on your systems?

i play bd and hd dvd thru a lg internal drive, the x2 and powerdvd 7 ultra on to a 37" viewsonic. it looks spectacular.

Great I just got it this morning. It took some time messing with the settings but I finally got it working correctly. I am finding that DVDs don't look quite as good, I messed around with the noise reduction (40%) and it looks a little better. What kind of settings do you use?
Using PowerDVD7 HD with the HD dvd/Bluray LG drive to a 1080P samsung. So we should get similar results.
So far its a great card for the price ;)

I'm soo glad i stuck with the 8.11's on the CD ;) I've had ZERO problems with everything thats been thrown at it. Hope the 9.2's will work better.

I just got a 4850x2 2GB to go into my new i7 920 build. I have a 24" LG 245WP and my main goal was to be able to game smoothly at 1920x1200.

I'm completely blown away. I upgraded from a BFG Tech 6800 Ultra on an AMD Opty 270 w/ 2GB of DDR1.

This card's amazing, and I'm running ALL the Steam source games w/ settings maxed and getting totally smoothly gameplay all the way through.

I have run into a few small, strange glitches in certain games that may just be due to how I configured things. Has anyone here experienced a stuttering in Call of Duty 4? The FPS will be wonderful but when moving around on some servers I seem to stutter in my movement. It's really strange. On a different server everything will be smooth as silk.

I haven't done any oc'ing just yet because I'm debating over which CPU cooler to get (have the stock one for now). I'll get around to running some 3d mark benchmarks (running Vista x64) and will post results here.

Yeah, I was as surprised as you where when I could run everything at max and smooth as hell... (at my res 1920x)

Great I just got it this morning. It took some time messing with the settings but I finally got it working correctly. I am finding that DVDs don't look quite as good, I messed around with the noise reduction (40%) and it looks a little better. What kind of settings do you use?
Using PowerDVD7 HD with the HD dvd/Bluray LG drive to a 1080P samsung. So we should get similar results.
So far its a great card for the price ;)

i am running at complete default. but i havent watched any dvd's. just .avi, bd and hd dvd.

Currently running 2x 512mb 4850s. Thinking about getting the 2gb 4850x2 to possibly run tri-fire or upgrade the graphics cards in two of my other gaming rigs (they both use 640mb 8800gts). Would the 2gb 4850x2 be any kind of upgrade from my current crossfire setup? I game @ 1920x1200.

Thanks

Currently running 2x 512mb 4850s. Thinking about getting the 2gb 4850x2 to possibly run tri-fire or upgrade the graphics cards in two of my other gaming rigs (they both use 640mb 8800gts). Would the 2gb 4850x2 be any kind of upgrade from my current crossfire setup? I game @ 1920x1200.

Thanks

The additional video memory on the 4850 X2 2GB will definitely help. At the very least you'll be able to increase your AA and texture settings.

Cat 9.2s are out. 4850 X2 support is now "out of the box," meaning we don't have to download a separate driver anymore. Scoring 17200 in 3dMark06 now, not much of an increase. I'll test out GTA4 later.

So yeah. I ordered a new 4850x2 last night off amazon and got my old 4850x2 ready to ship back to them for return. I noticed those new 9.2 Cats came out, so I plugged it back in, and all of a sudden, both cores are loading...what the hell? So yeah, no idea what the problem was, but my card is working now.

Anyone ever done a package refusal from Amazon/Fedex? I'm thinking it will be the cheapest way to return this second card.

i have done one from newegg/ups and it ws a bitch. got shipped back to the "wrong warehouse" and i waited about 6 weeks for my refund.

NotVery[H];1033746029 said:
So yeah. I ordered a new 4850x2 last night off amazon and got my old 4850x2 ready to ship back to them for return. I noticed those new 9.2 Cats came out, so I plugged it back in, and all of a sudden, both cores are loading...what the hell? So yeah, no idea what the problem was, but my card is working now.

Anyone ever done a package refusal from Amazon/Fedex? I'm thinking it will be the cheapest way to return this second card.

If you bought from Amazon and not an Amazon seller, shipping back to Amazon for a refund is free. As long as the package is not open and such.

Couple questions:

Anyone running vista x64 have their display go dark for 2-4 seconds (not all the time though) when that windows security thing pops up that asks you if you want to continue or allow something to happen? It doesn't go dark all the time, but occasionally it does.

Secondly, anyone run into any significant success or problems w/ the 9.2's?

That is how Windows works. Turn UAC off

Haha... I know about UAC, but sometimes when it happens the screen will go dark for a few seconds, rather than just doing a momentary blink. I was hoping I could eliminate an issue before disabling it.

Doing a new build, but this thing might be too big for my cosmos elite 341 matx case. Maybe one 4850 is the way to go.

Doing a new build, but this thing might be too big for my cosmos elite 341 matx case. Maybe one 4850 is the way to go.

Or just go the classic Crossfire route with two physical cards. Slightly more expensive, but the performance is proven.

Haha... I know about UAC, but sometimes when it happens the screen will go dark for a few seconds, rather than just doing a momentary blink. I was hoping I could eliminate an issue before disabling it.

Yeah, I get that. A rather long pause (several seconds). I figured that was how UAC worked and I haven't messed with it.

Vista 64 with the 9.1s (the older drivers did the same.) Occasionally I also get a long pause when the DVD drive is accessed.

i received two 4850x2 2gb a couple nights ago. two x2's are definately slower than 2 gtx 280 in crysis at 25x16. actually, it wasn't even close. i can run nearly all gamer/high settings with the 280's but the x2's were barely playable with all settings at mainstream/medium and shaders at high. the x2's were also inferior in prince of persia and mirrors edge. in pop i had to disable aa to stave off micro stuttering but 2x aa is manageable with some micro stuttering. in mirrors edge i had to disable physx (of course) but i couldn't apply any aa successfully. even then, the game suffered from severe high/low frame rate changes. there's still far cry 2 and fear 2 to test with. i'm sure users with one 4850x2 2gb and 19x12 monitors are happy with this product, but a user on a 30" who wants to play all of their games at native res are probably better off with a 4870x2 or a gtx 295 (if you can find one).

Yeah I think the 4850x2 is an outstanding card at its price point for 1920x1200 gamers. At least that's the case for me on a 24" LCD.

has anyone tried running 3dmark vantage on catalyst 9.2 with the 2gb 4850 x2? i get MAJOR artifacts and graphical error, issit my card or the driver?

has anyone tried running 3dmark vantage on catalyst 9.2 with the 2gb 4850 x2? i get MAJOR artifacts and graphical error, issit my card or the driver?

Happened to me on 8.11 and 8.12 from Sapphire, 9.1 looked okay after I overclocked to 3.6GHz (but it wasn't stable, so I reverted back to 3.2GHz.) My guess is that it's the test itself. 3dMark Vantage is designed with Nvidia cards in mind because it implements PhysX across the board. Use 3dMark06.

it implements it across the board? o_O i didn't know that, good.. just making sure my card's not a DOA... so 3dmark 06 is still the standard?

Yes, every test in Vantage uses PhysX. This is why Nvidia cards score 4-5 times higher than ATi cards in Vantage. You can only use Vantage to compare ATi cards to ATi cards and Nvidia cards to Nvidia cards. For true across the board comparison, 3dMark06 is still the best.

So, I have a UD3P mobo....and a spare 8800 Ultra. I doubt this would work, but could I install my 8800 Ultra and use it to process PhysX along side the 4850x2?

If not, do I have any use for the 8800 Ultra anymore?

I doubt very highly you can use the 8800 as a dedicated PhysX processor. Never heard of that before.

8800 ultra is still good for most games, don't see why you want to upgrade yet.

how long is the 4850x2 exactly with the power connectors connected?

Don't ask the same question in two threads.

The power cables plug in from underneath the card, not on the side of the card. A simple glance at some photos would reveal this. The PCB length is about 11.25 inches.

I doubt very highly you can use the 8800 as a dedicated PhysX processor. Never heard of that before.

I thought I read somewhere that was possible; now I know it's not. That's a bummer. nVidia could grab some new business from ATi owners if they would make it work.

nvidia video cards 8 series and up with 256mb of memory or more can be used as physx accelerators. the question is, why would someone use such a hot and power hungry part exclusively for the purpose of physx processing?

nvidia video cards 8 series and up with 256mb of memory or more can be used as physx accelerators. the question is, why would someone use such a hot and power hungry part exclusively for the purpose of physx processing?

i think that only works in windows 7

you're right that only works it you use an nvidia card as your display accelerator. to pair an nvidia card with an ati card as the display device the os has to be win 7.

how long is the 4850x2 exactly with the power connectors connected?

Buy it and stop by the hardware store for some heavy metal cutters or a hacksaw if you run into any space constraints.

Like a poster above stated, the power cables plug in sideways at the end so you don't end up with any more length from plugs. I think mine goes over the edge of my mobo by about an inch or two.

Back