4850X2

I don't know if i want to be cutting my case and messing it up. I think ATI should really work on making these cards smaller so they can fit in all cases. Also I don't see why the 4850x2 has to be longer than the 4870x2. Doesn't make sense, but to teach their own.

I don't know if i want to be cutting my case and messing it up. I think ATI should really work on making these cards smaller so they can fit in all cases. Also I don't see why the 4850x2 has to be longer than the 4870x2. Doesn't make sense, but to teach their own.

ATi didn't design the 4850 X2. There is no official reference board for it. Sapphire designed it.

Does the Shappire 4850 X2 support DVI correctly? I had issues with DVI not working right with my 3870's on my Dell 2405 FP

Yes.

The card has QUAD DVI ports, however for your monitor..you need to use the first one, the one on the top left.

I wonder if someone is running two 4850x2s in crossfire...does that mean you can hook up 8 monitors? That would be crazee. Imagine if you got on that $50 Acer 22" monitor deal...and bought 8 of those for a total of $400!

The card has QUAD DVI ports, however for your monitor..you need to use the first one, the one on the top left.

Why is it that way on his monitor ?

My 22" works fine on either top ones.

I wonder if someone is running two 4850x2s in crossfire...does that mean you can hook up 8 monitors? That would be crazee. Imagine if you got on that $50 Acer 22" monitor deal...and bought 8 of those for a total of $400!

Go see rennyf77's thread.... i would like but im in a hurry

but yeah you could hook up 8 monitors (maybe technically 10 VIA HDMI ?????)

That is absolutely nuts, I'll be happy when the wife gives me permission to buy the 3007wfp hc to go w/ my duel 2001fps haha

"Prepare to dominate".... That's a laugh. First, it has to install on Vista 64, without idiotic compatibily errors while disabling the other onboard GPU for all... as well as run without stupid code 43 errors in the device manager. I'm hating things ATI and Catalyst right now.

Yah some people just not computer savvy enough to install drivers. Most people in this thread have it working fine, but few bad apples that can't install drivers.

Has nothing to do with computer savvy.....and Yes it's finally working... BUT...only after removing all drivers downloaded from Sapphire and ATI websites and using the drivers which came bundled on cd. Smart guy.

I am running it fine on win 7 64 and vista 32..... the only problem i used to have was with the resolution changing with certain programs but that was an easy fix. I dont know why some are having issues..

some people just not good enough with computers to figure stuff out. some just not problem solvers, they should call geek squad or someting.

Oh, NewEgg...

Other Thoughts: i bought 2 of them running crossfire. i have almost 4 gigs of video memory now....i know i know over kill but i couldn't help my self!

howdy. just checking in to see how its going. see you later.

o, btw anybody having success with x2 crossfire? scaling at all? thinking about another card.

Vanilla I would not bother with X2 Crossfire with another X2. The scaling isn't there most of the time.

For people that want something more with a HD 4870 X2, add a single HD 4870 1Gb. If you have an HD 4850 X2 2Gb, add a HD 4850 1Gb. If you have the 1Gb X2 you could add a 512Mb 4850 or even 4870. Don't get an extra card with more ram than your main card because it will use the lowest ram value in Crossfire. You can use a faster card though, ATi cards run Async in Crossfire. Cards having to have the same clock speed is an nVidia SLi limitation.

X2 cards have the effective value of half their ram because the two GPUs divide it up and it does not "stack".

So if I were you Vanilla, and interested in adding more to my 4850 X2, I would pick through here and grab what you like. Ideally to get the best results, you'd play 1920x or higher.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&Description=hd 4850 1gb&bop=And&Order=PRICE

You could also tack on that-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161269

or

That-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

Instead of the HD 4850 1Gb.

You can also add an 8800gt card for physx as well...not that physx has any uses for games any way, but bragging rights are still a factor.

the price difference between the 4850 1gb and the 4870 1gb is less than $30, so maybe i will go for one of them. thanx for the info.

honestly VG, I don't think it's worth even adding another 4850 or 4870...

ATi scaling kinda blows from my experience.

I tried 4870x2's in quadfire and it was seriously a disappointment....

I just got my 4850x2 2gb on friday and will be installing it tomorrow when I get my mobo and cpu in.

so VG are you using the 9.2's? or the drivers from the CD?

First off, nvida/ati scalling for three or more gpus doesn't seem to yield a performance difference. Ati scaling across two gpus seems perfect with the 4850x2.

9.2 ccc. but theres really not much difference from the install cd except for "hydravision" and some avivo stuff.

Anyone else have problems with this?

After I put my rig together, loaded up Crysis, it played beautifully for 10 minutes at Very High everything maxed, was getting 40-60 FPS.

Then the card shorted my power supply out, which in turn shorted the breaker.

Then the card would no longer function at all inside of any PC, so it had to get RMAed.

I really hope that was just a fluke. Otherwise I'm going to be quite upset.

Right now I'm on a spare 8800GTS, and it blows in comparison. D:

wow, hope I never run into anything like that...

you didn't have any loose wires or anything?

@yang88she..... How did the install go? I have my fingers crossed for success in your case. Post some results when you get it up and running. Good luck. Keep gaming.

@yang88she..... How did the install go? I have my fingers crossed for success in your case. Post some results when you get it up and running. Good luck. Keep gaming.

Not a hiccup, runs like a champ...

I run multiple screens, so I like watching a movie and gaming @ the same time...no lag, and everything turned up (well I only play L4D)

so no complaints so far, I have to say I'm happier w/ the 4850x2 then I was running 4870x2's in quadfire :D

It can, but I believe in order to use all 4 DVI ports, you have to disable crossfire. So you'd essentially have 8 monitors running on the equivilant of 4 4850's with no crossfire performance.

I cannot deal with the high idle noise of this card. Ive tried flashing with this so called "new bios" se87qam.rom and se87qas.rom but the flash is not taking hold what so ever, under a elevated command prompt, nor under safe mode.

Don't know what to do but im not going to strap a couple of fans on it and make it look all ghetto.

Really considering just selling it. I love the performance but I work too much at my PC from home so this just doesn't cut it for desktop idle noise.

How much quieter is a 4870x2? They are hitting below $400 on the egg now. The 4890 in a couple of weeks at over $250 may also be an option.

i know what you mean about the noise, it drove me wild sitting there idle.... when i bought my x58 setup i decided to get 2 x gtx 260's and sell my 4850x2. even both of the cards together arent as loud as this lol. and i hated the fact it was so big and floppy.

but for price / performance this is definately a hot card, no question about it.

Is going from a 4850 512mb to a 4850x2 2gb worth it? What kind of performance increase will I see in actual games?

Is going from a 4850 512mb to a 4850x2 2gb worth it? What kind of performance increase will I see in actual games?

Depends - what resolution do you play it? I noticed at LEAST a 20% increase when I made that jump on my 30" Dell (3007WFP-HC)

Why don't you create a signature so we can better understand your questions. I'm sure you've read reviews, but how does that relate to your system? It may or may not be worth it for you depending on your specs.

Back