4850 vs 9800gtx

i returned my 4850,for a 9800gtx+ ,
with the 4850 in cod4 the claymores didnt appear on screen ,only the red laser lines were visible.and the performance,i see now in games is an improvement over the 4850.

...but none of the other issues in L4D or COD4.
Check out [H]'s latest look at Valve's zombie shooter and the poster below you for more COD4 fun. I'm glad you don't notice/experience them, but that's not the case for a lot of us.

CCC is pretty simple IMO, it's just a matter of what you're use to I guess. I hear mac users rave about how much easier they are to use, but I don't see it when I'm behind one.
Why should I have to scroll all the time to change so few settings in the 3d box? Why can't the boxes be resized if they limit the space so much? Why are there so many categories w/ such few options inside? Nvidia packs so much more into a smaller space that when you're constantly in there, it's less hassle. Profiles for games are much easier as well. I've used them both for years and NV's always been easier to deal w/ and consistently has fewer issues on release w/ games. As for mac users, I'm not sure what that has anything to do with my Vista box or displeasure w/ the inefficient ATI CC.

Check out [H]'s latest look at Valve's zombie shooter and the poster below you for more COD4 fun. I'm glad you don't notice/experience them, but that's not the case for a lot of us.

Why should I have to scroll all the time to change so few settings in the 3d box? Why can't the boxes be resized if they limit the space so much? Why are there so many categories w/ such few options inside? Nvidia packs so much more into a smaller space that when you're constantly in there, it's less hassle. Profiles for games are much easier as well. I've used them both for years and NV's always been easier to deal w/ and consistently has fewer issues on release w/ games. As for mac users, I'm not sure what that has anything to do with my Vista box or displeasure w/ the inefficient ATI CC.

The point of the Mac commend was how some people think they're easy to use while others may not. Neither is right or wrong, just a different perspective depending on what one is use to using.

I'm not saying ATI's control panel is better (or worse) than nVidia's. I'm simply saying I (as well as others) don't find it hard to use at all. So to say it's complicated is a matter of opinion, in this case, yours. My opinion is that CCC is very intuitive and everything is laid out properly.

If what you said applies to everyone, ATI would hardly be able to sell a card. Heck, why would anyone buy ATI if they have issues with some of the most popular games out there and everyone thought CCC was too complicated? I certainly wouldn't. Fact of the matter is that everything you mentioned are either isolated incidences or matter of opinion. I've only experienced one of the several "issues" you said ATI has.

I've got 4 gaming capable PC's, 2 using ATI cards (HD3870 & HD4850) and 2 using nVidia (9600GT & 8800GT) so I'm pretty familiar with both interfaces and well aware of what each has to offer. Admitedly, nVidia's drivers are currently less buggy than ATI, but that's a cyclical thing. Both camps go through phases where their drivers are less than stellar.

Doh, right click at the ATi tray icon and you don't need to scroll anything. :rolleyes: I said it before in the other thread, most problems with the driver are usually an user error.

Seriously. I think those that have a preference of red or green will scrutinize the others offerings with a finer comb than they would with their "preference" card.

What I mean is a green hat would put up with the quirks of a green card and the drivers that come with. It more so than a red hat would and vice versa. So saying one is better than the other in my mind is a waste.

Hope that made sense {let this thread die}

Can't compare to the 9800gtx, but my new rig (in sig) is unstoppable. L4D, 1920x1200 maxed out. Doesn't drop below 60. I can even record with fraps and not have it miss a beat. It absolutely beats any SLi setup I've done in the past.

Fallout 3, same deal. I'm installing CoD4 now but I expect the same deal.

Very glad I finally went with ATI. Installation and detection was also a breeze.

if you can find a 8800 GTX with its 768MB of memory for cheap i would get that over the 4850. 512mb is not cutting it anymore.

if you can find a 8800 GTX with its 768MB of memory for cheap i would get that over the 4850. 512mb is not cutting it anymore.

what? 4850's newer and faster architecture stomps all over the 8800gtx's ass. :rolleyes: even with its "lesser" ram lol

what? 4850's newer and faster architecture stomps all over the 8800gtx's ass. :rolleyes: even with its "lesser" ram lol

Its a little faster in general. It doesn't stomp all over an 8800 GTX's ass or any other part. Pretty much sits between an HD 4830 and HD 4850 these days.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4850/1.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4830/1.html

Love these exaggerations, both the person you quoted recommending the 8800 GTX and yours giving the typical "The HD 4850 can bend steel in its bare hands and achieve world peace". I wouldn't go out of my way to find one these days, but if I had one (which I do, but don't use anymore) there's no way in hell I would upgrade to an HD 4850. They're too close.

your both wrong. plenty of cases when quality is high and res is high the 8800 GTX beats the 4850. facts.

Back