4850 vs 9800gtx

Haha cool link
I'm here to please! ;) Give a person a fish and you feed 'em for a day; teach a person to fish and you've fed 'em for a lifetime. Googling is even EASIER than fishin', too! :eek:

I just ordered a new rig with Xfire 4850 over a single 260 GTX. Considering the price of two 4850s is around the same as one 260gtx, and performs considerably better, the choice was obvious.

Yeah, but now you have to deal w/ the:

1.) release day of hot new game
2.) updated Nvidia driver released the day before
3.) promise of a fix soon from ATI

I'm glad to have supported team red this round, but there's just too much wonkiness going on w/ owning an ATI card these days.

Yeah, but now you have to deal w/ the:

1.) release day of hot new game
2.) updated Nvidia driver released the day before
3.) promise of a fix soon from ATI

I'm glad to have supported team red this round, but there's just too much wonkiness going on w/ owning an ATI card these days.

Nvidia has a slower driver release schedule than ATI does -_- Then again, I'm still running the 8.8s without any trouble, and even playing new games like Fallout 3 with AA without needing the "hotfix" :rolleyes:

That really isn't true. I can easily notice a difference between 4xAA and 8xAA in some games at 1280x1024. Larger screens benefit just as much from AA as smaller screens, as the dot pitch doesn't really improve (meaning jaggies are just as visible). One tends to sit a bit farther back from a larger screen, which does help, but AA still helps more. You may not mind jaggies, but I personally can't stand them. I would gladly lower the IQ a bit to up the AA (but I don't have to, w00t)

I have a friend who thinks that 20fps is perfectly playable in Oblivion - I think it is so jerky that I start getting a headache. It is all up to the eye of the viewer.

I can't stand jaggies either - in fact, I despise them. I have 20/20 vision. I sit about two feet from my monitor, I play Oblivion. There is almost no difference between 4X and 8X AA with that game. Or with Fallout 3. My GPU is more capable than yours of running at max settings. I would much rather have smooth game play and my FPS nailed at the vertical sync limited 60 almost everywhere than a tiny, almost imperceptible decrease in aliasing. I don't care if you own an ATI card, higher levels of AA impact their FPS as with any GPU. May not be as much as with an Nvidia card, but they aren't immune.

Oh, the dot pitch on a 24" is fractionally finer than a 22", a 30" is substantially finer.

I did google it but I do like and respect the users opinions on here more then other websites.That was a cool link tho I do give you some credit for that.
I wanted to let people know about that site, so you were my unwitting victim! :) ;)

Nvidia has a slower driver release schedule than ATI does -_- Then again, I'm still running the 8.8s without any trouble, and even playing new games like Fallout 3 with AA without needing the "hotfix" :rolleyes:
I am glad ATI is working for you but why do NV have to release a new driver every month just like ATI when the current one are just fine and betas are "leaked" to get fieldtest of new drivers.

My GPU is more capable than yours of running at max settings.

Not necessarily. I only play at 1280x1024. It is quite possible for me to be running at the same settings as you and have higher FPS. Your specs aren't in your sig, though, so I don't know what your GPU is. I don't have to sacrifice FPS for AA since my CPU is the bottleneck. I actually get free 8xAA in many games, including more demanding ones like GRID (where I get ~56 FPS with 8xAA)

I sit about a foot away from my monitor, give or take.

Oh, the dot pitch on a 24" is fractionally finer than a 22", a 30" is substantially finer.

It isn't a substantial improvement at all.

1280x1024 19in: 0.2944
1680x1050 22in: 0.2821 4.4% improvement
1920x1200 24in: 0.2692 4.8% improvement
2560x1600 30in: 0.2524 6.7% improvement

An improvement at each step, yes, but I wouldn't call 4-6% improvement "substantial"

Then again, my laptop has a dot pitch of 0.1728 (1920x1200 15.4in), which is a 46% improvement over a 30in screen, but I would rather game on my 19in any day.

I am glad ATI is working for you but why do NV have to release a new driver every month just like ATI when the current one are just fine and betas are "leaked" to get fieldtest of new drivers.

Context is important, buddy, don't skip it. That was in response to someone claiming that nvidia releases drivers for a game before the game comes out, whereas it takes until after the game is released for an ATI hotfix. If ATI releases drivers more frequently than Nvidia, then ATI will logically beat nvidia in the per-game optimizations/fixes in terms of a released driver.

Of course, if you take a look in the Nvidia flavor section here, you will see that the current nvidia drivers aren't "fine" ;)

I like nvidia more then ati.
I have owned a 8800gt and a hd4850 and I can say I prefer nvidia.
Sure with ati my max fps is higher but that doesn't mean shit when my lowest fps is low

i exchanged my 4850 for a 9800gtx+,a good choice, i had nothing but problems with the ati card,now my games run smooth as silk.not a juddery mess.

I guess this thread is worthless now since I got the 9800gtx bfg bundle with the 2x2 ram for $130 shipped.THere are some fanboys here so there will always be ati over nvidia vice versa

seriously 4850 is better. Your bias is your con.
200% seriously, it is not as both are par too par and only you preference deciedes if you go red or green buy both are just about the same and nither have any advantage over the other in any way.

I like nvidia more then ati.
I have owned a 8800gt and a hd4850 and I can say I prefer nvidia.
Sure with ati my max fps is higher but that doesn't mean shit when my lowest fps is low

Except it doesn't. The 4850 has higher min FPS than the 8800GT, even when run with higher settings. This "ATI has lower min FPS" bullshit really needs to die already. It simply isn't true.

I love how you can tell me that when i have owned both cards,ran the lost planet benchmark with both cards and recorded my framerates.I am sure it has something to due with my rig not being able to fully push the graphics card,but my min fps was lower with the ati card.

kllrnohj- I see you own a ati 4850 and I am glad that it works for you,but in my tests I got no improvement in min framerate between the 8800gt and the hd4850. I am playing at a low resolution also @1280x720 so most of my load is on the cpu anyways.

I will put my 9800gtx in my amd rig and run some benchies then build my new E8400 rig and run the same tests so I can see how far the 5000+ was holding me back.

I will give the 4850 credit tho it was a nice foot warmer

I will give the 4850 credit tho it was a nice foot warmer

lol, wut? You went from the 4850 to the 9800GTX, and you call the 4850 the foot warmer? You do realize that the 4850 generates *less* heat than the 9800GTX, right? Not much less, granted, but still less..

Actually I don't know why the OP created this thread, he was actually planning to go with the 9800GTX from the beginning.

No matter what people said about better AA for almost the same amount of money, he ignored it all. He kept on going about spending an extra $50 for the RAM, he said that he will get a free RAM with the purchase of a $150 graphic card. The free RAM only costs about $25 shipped after rebate and the HD4850 only costs about $130 shipped after rebate.

Wow I sense some tension from the red team.

I wanted a dual slot card without having to add a aftermarket cooler on it.My visiontek hd4850 with the gfx chilla always stayed cool.The 4850 wouldn't oc for crap,I am aware tho that my 9800gtx may be the same way.

I was really considering the hd4850 again,the AA is great the color is great but for some odd reason my performance was crap.I dont know.All is well with me and I am not upset about my purchase.
Ati does have great cards this time around and hopefully they can keep it up.

I just didn't understand why my min FPS was so low

That is why I said that I don't know why you created this thread. You mentioned about a card with dual slot cooler, as far as I can see, the $130 Sapphire HD4850 is a dual slot cooler card. You said that you need to spend an extra $50 for the RAM, as far as I can see the exact same RAM will cost you only $25. Maybe I'm not on the same internet as yours since I'm seeing things differently or perhaps you just can't see beyond the green screen ;)

I can see beyond the green screen but barely.

I wanted a card that will dump the hot air out of the case not inside of it.The less fans i have to use the better it will cut down on my noise
With that sapphire card I would need to put a fan in the side case panel so it could get the air out of it.

I did this with my gateway pc.I put a intake in the front,a exhaust on the side,and a exhaust in the back.It was loud and I dont want to go thru that again if I can just shoot the hot air out the back of the case

It all turned out for the good tho.I ended up getting the video card and ram for $129 before the MIR so after the MIR I will only end up paying $100 for the card and the ram.

I got $50 knocked off the price since I got some crappy cust service from the egg..I was a little pissed and I called to cancel my order.The cust service rep must of been a supervisor I talked to the 2nd time,She was not happy about what happened and knocked $50 off of my bill.

Actually I don't know why the OP created this thread, he was actually planning to go with the 9800GTX from the beginning.

Well he skillfully sucked all of us in to bicker and debate the minutia of graphics hardware that 99.9% of the population couldn't care less about (and the majority of us wouldn't notice if someone switched out our cards for one from the competition).

Kind of amusing actually.

I really did consider getting the hd4850 again.

This thread really turned into a show huh? (LOL) I never intended it to turn out this way but oh well.I ordered my shit and it's on it's way.

Thanks to everyone for posting in here I appreciate it.

I should have my new build (in sig) up and running tomorrow (knock on wood) and I'll post my intial impressions of Xfire 4850, being a Nvidia guy all my life.

I can't offer any comments of Xfire 4850 versus 9800gtx, but I can against my laptop (in sig) and my old rig of SLi 8800 GTS.

I wanted a card that will dump the hot air out of the case not inside of it.
Good call. When I moved from the 9800 GTX to the 4850 (more so to try the new ATI stuff), I noticed temps in my northbridge went up! I have a pretty streamlined case and airflow setup and the 4850 just kills it all. I'd do something about mine, but I've sort of self banned myself on any pc upgrades/games for a little while, heh. Good choice bro!

I want to try to keep my case quiet as possible buy still have good airflow.
This is my main reason for getting the 9800gtx since it is a dual slot card.The hot air will get pushed out of the back instead of inside of my case.

The 9800GTX has been significantly faster than the 4850 ever since the 180.xx drivers. The 9800GTX also runs cooler and overclocks better. I think the choice should be obvious (and this is coming from a 4850 owner).

The 9800GTX has been significantly faster than the 4850 ever since the 180.xx drivers. The 9800GTX also runs cooler and overclocks better. I think the choice should be obvious (and this is coming from a 4850 owner).

The 9800GTX generates more heat, and both the 4850 and the 9800GTX have pretty good OC potential. As for the 180.xx "magic drivers" - got any proof? Strikes me as eerily similar to the old claim that the 2900XT will be super fast with the next set of drivers. Drivers can only do so much, and the 9800GTX is a relatively old card on a pretty old core design (it is, after all, a G80 shrink). I highly, highly doubt that new drivers made it *any* faster, much less improved it enough to now be significantly faster than the 4850.

The 9800GTX generates more heat, and both the 4850 and the 9800GTX have pretty good OC potential.

I haven't seen a strong performing GPU that doesn't pump out a decent amount of heat. The real trick is to get it out of the case, or to get a case with good ventilation. I went with both routes and got a CoolerMaster Stacker Evolution 830 (mesh sides, top and front with lots of brackets for fans) and a dual slot card (Nvidia GTX 260). I wouldn't get an HD 4850 without a third party cooling solution that exhausts from the case. There aren't too many - about the only ones I've seen have been the HIS IceQ4 series such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161244

Stuttering in Farcry 2, graphical issues in Left4Dead, retardedly over complicated control panel to change options, stock cooler blows, funky textures in COD4 @ times...4850 FTL!

Hows that 9800gtx treating you dude?

I put one in my kids PC and they're loving it, I'm very impressed with how cool it stays and love the fact it vents the hot air outside the case, seeing as their case has poor airflow.
Also love the new drivers, Crysis Warhead and Farcry2 are running alot smoother for them.
Plus all their games are just working great and no problems.

Is it me, or does this thread seem pointless? Why even ask for suggestions between the two card when it's clearly obvious that you had already made up your mind before you clicked the "new thread" button? Retarded.

Stuttering in Farcry 2, graphical issues in Left4Dead, retardedly over complicated control panel to change options, stock cooler blows, funky textures in COD4 @ times...4850 FTL!

I do get the studdering in FC2, but none of the other issues in L4D or COD4. CCC is pretty simple IMO, it's just a matter of what you're use to I guess. I hear mac users rave about how much easier they are to use, but I don't see it when I'm behind one.

Back