4850 disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxcess

2[H]4U
*Sigh*.. I'm disappointed in the 4850 I got from Best Buy deal. It's not a step up from my 8800GT but a step back. Even though the windows score went from 6.9 to 7.3, game performance isn't there. Might be me doing something wrong but I've tested everything out. With my 8800GT @ 702/950 and the 4850 @ 680/993, the 8800GT scored 13399. Whereas the latter scored 13093. I'm not for synthetic benchmarks score either so I loaded up a game I've been playing, The Last Remnant. Game play on the 4850 was no where as good as the 8800GT. Framerate kept dipping to 20 fps on some battle scenes. 8800GT it was rare for me to see the framerate drop below 40.

//end rant

bullshit ok just bullshit

5850> 8800 in every single way.......so why not delte this crap before you get pwnt?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/30/amds_ati_radeon_hd_5850_video_card_review/4

Why don't YOU read more carefully, he said 4850 not 5850...

To the OP, not sure why you're getting the issues you are. When I went from my 8800GT to 4850 at first I was a bit dissappointed becuase one of the first things I did was run 3D mark, and the score was indeed lower. My worries quickly went away when I fired up the first game (which I believe was GRID) there was a noticable difference in that game, and all the subsequent games I played afterwards.

Did you run drivercleaner after uninstalling the nVidia drivers?

That's odd. I made the same upgrade you did from my 8800GTS and saw a jump in framerates in my games. Maybe you're being cpu limited in some way? Or try getting rid of all the Nvidia drivers and doing a clean install of catalyst.

nvidia cards will always rule ati cards in raw power.

hey guys, look at my highest fps in this game its sick, meanwhile the avarage fps is abysmal.

hey guys, look at my highest fps in this game its sick, meanwhile the avarage fps is abysmal.

You should really think about trolling somewhere else. My 4850 "ruled" my 8800 in everything except folding and 3dmark scores.

You should really think about trolling somewhere else.

how am i trolling when its true what i said?

you must be a diehard ati fanboy who cant handle the truth.

even the gtx285 keeps up with the 5850 in terms of avarage fps. nvidia cards are all about horsepower and torque, meanwhile ati is like a weak car with added intake, some performmance chips, etc.

even the gtx285 keeps up with the 5850 in terms of avarage fps. nvidia cards are all about horsepower and torque, meanwhile ati is like a weak car with added intake, some performmance chips, etc.

This man knows his shit, car analogies and everything.

Becuase it's not the truth. Clearly i'm a fanboy even though I own 3 nVidia cards and 2 ATI cards right?

Try making sure you've got those nvidia drivers removed. Every benchmark I've seen has the 4850 easily beating all flavors of the 8800 series. Try comparing your score with those of 3dMark / Futuremark. If your numbers are way off then you know somethings up. The Last Remnant isn't what I would call demanding. It can get a little much with tons of characters on field but overall you should be beating the 8800 easily.That game in particular should run much better on ATI than Nvidia since the game was originally developed for Xbox 360 and is basically a port.

I think this post warrants a one word reply:

huh?!?! :confused:

You should change your name to DualOwned

turn the shadow setting into medium.

there is some issue with the shadow on ATI cards in this game, it is the only game that have the problem so far from what I am seeing..

its a old news....

just turn it to medium and you will be fine, you cant even notice a graphic downgrade with that change..

so no worry about it ;)

*Sigh*.. I'm disappointed in the 4850 I got from Best Buy deal. It's not a step up from my 8800GT but a step back. Even though the windows score went from 6.9 to 7.3, game performance isn't there. Might be me doing something wrong but I've tested everything out. With my 8800GT @ 702/950 and the 4850 @ 680/993, the 8800GT scored 13399. Whereas the latter scored 13093. I'm not for synthetic benchmarks score either so I loaded up a game I've been playing, The Last Remnant. Game play on the 4850 was no where as good as the 8800GT. Framerate kept dipping to 20 fps on some battle scenes. 8800GT it was rare for me to see the framerate drop below 40.

//end rant

I went from an 8800GT 512mb to a 4850 512mb and it certainly was faster, not sure what you're doing wrong.

No one asked him what drivers he is using? You guys all got carried away feeding the trolls.

Try installing the 10.2s.

Anyways. I used driver sweeper and wipe out all the nvidia drivers. Installed Catalyst 10.2. After that, it's been racking my brain why the video card isn't performing the way it should be. One thing I did was modify the bios. Changed the gpu and memory upper limites to 800/1300 and adjusted the fan speed to be running 100% when temps reach 60*. Maybe I'll flash it back to the original bios and see what happens then.

when i swapped from a 8800gts 512mb to a single 4850 the performance was pretty much the same, but the gts 512mb is a decent step up from the vanilla 8800gt so you should see some good frame rate bumps. What brand is it, and what resolution? before anyone says anything about why i went from a 8800gts 512mb to 4850 it was a 4850 crossfire set up but i tried single card for a while to test things out.

Anyways. I used driver sweeper and wipe out all the nvidia drivers. Installed Catalyst 10.2. After that, it's been racking my brain why the video card isn't performing the way it should be. One thing I did was modify the bios. Changed the gpu and memory upper limites to 800/1300 and adjusted the fan speed to be running 100% when temps reach 60*. Maybe I'll flash it back to the original bios and see what happens then.

read what I post please

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035358754&postcount=16

why isn't anyone reading it..

its a KNOWN ISSUE for this game on ATI cards.. that ATI have never fix or even Square-Enix....

read what I post please

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035358754&postcount=16

why isn't anyone reading it..

its a KNOWN ISSUE for this game on ATI cards.. that ATI have never fix or even Square-Enix....
It's a known issue but not the issue here. Shadow has been set to the lowest when I had the 8800GT in the system. Everything is set the same as when I had the 8800GT in there.

Systems specs:
DFI UT P45 T2RS w/ e8500 at 8x500 // 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC8500 5-5-5-15 // PCP & Cooling 610 // 2xWD 640 AALS Raid0 first 300GB // WIN7 x64

System should be more than sufficient to play this game.

It's a known issue but not the issue here. Shadow has been set to the lowest when I had the 8800GT in the system. Everything is set the same as when I had the 8800GT in there.

Systems specs:
DFI UT P45 T2RS w/ e8500 at 8x500 // 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC8500 5-5-5-15 // PCP & Cooling 610 // 2xWD 640 AALS Raid0 first 300GB // WIN7 x64

System should be more than sufficient to play this game.

if that is the case, then something is wrong with your card.

even my old 4770 smoke it ...

Thank goodness, this guys' banning could not have came any sooner. I swear he only posted to inspite fanboyism in others and bait/troll. In my opinion, I think never unbanning him wouldn't hurt the community one bit.

Thanks guys for your input. I ended up resetting all the ingame video settings and then turned them on one at a time until I saw a major fps drop. It ended up being the battle screen shadow set on high quality. The texture shadow was already set to low. So weird that that setting didn't affect the 8800GT card but the 4850. I'll put in the 8800GT tomorrow and compare the difference.

I need to finish this game first before I start another one. Next up is COD MW2.

I am not sure I will help much on this one, but when installing the newer card, try reinstalling direct x 9 and then 10. I had a Bioshock issue for a long time, where I switched from ATI to Nvidia and then back again, and the only thing that helped was a reinstall of DirectX 9.0c and then a fresh Direct 10. Sounds silly but Bioshock just hitched like crazy. I know a lot of games have these installers built in, but I did it separately with nothing else running and used the newer versions. Otherwise, Bioshock would never full screen for me......

cheers,
Earl

Does anyone have a torque chart for video cards? I need to know how tight to make the screws that hold them in place. I need to remember to bring my torquewrench home today...the 1/2 inch drive one should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back