480SLI to R9290 for 5760x1200 modded Skyrim results...

AlvinMaker

Limp Gawd
So, over the past couple of weeks you guys have given me some great advice- I was looking to move from my 480 SLI setup to a single GPU solution (at least for the time being, anyways). The main game I have been logging hours in has been a heavily modded Skyrim. At 5760x1200, my 1,532mb was GONE. (Skyrim HD re-texture, Lush trees and grass, EL&FX, etc...). I had (and still have) the opportunity to test out a Titan, but to be honest, I think I am staying on the "Red team" for this one. (I went with a Sapphire R9 290 "Tri-X") Performance is better in general, and having 4gb of VRAM has of course helped IMMENSELY for all the mods that were eating it up. Thanks for all the advice/guidance. I will be doing some overclocking and such now that I am confident my machine is stable with the new card. I'll post those for the curious once I get that going.

Here's a screenshot of my current setup (I still have tweaking to do- I basically threw the kitchen sink of mods at it to see what would happen :D) This is 5760x1200, 4XAA, 16XAF. Cheers!

Ta8DLxA.jpg

On a whim, I had grabbed FC3 RIGHT before I pulled the 480s- it was pretty much only playable on "Medium". With the 290, High is definitely playable, and Ultra was OK, but I imagine in a firefight it would get jumpy. (I haven't played with the settings at all to see what can be tweaked- just wanted a comparison on a slightly newer game)

Last edited:
Good to hear. If I recall correctly the AMD cards are better at the higher res, but if you crossfire in the future it may be more "stuttery" than an SLI setup.

BTW, your image isn't working for me.

Good to hear. If I recall correctly the AMD cards are better at the higher res, but if you crossfire in the future it may be more "stuttery" than an SLI setup.

Gotcha- I may go down that road in the near future, so I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I am not sure what's up with the image- I switched it to Imgur to see if that fixes it.

It shouldn't be more stuttery. Part of the problem with high resolutions and CrossFire was that the bridges didn't have enough bandwidth. The new 290 series cards communicate directly over the PCI-E bus so this is no longer a limitation. My cards seem very smooth in CF @ 2560x1440 with maxed out details.

Back