• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4790K with no IHS?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
Can the 4790k be ran with no IHS? Does anyone make a shim kit that will protect from cracking the core? Was thinking of doing this with my current build but may just use the IHS if it's to risky.
 
Yes, you can run it without IHS without a issue, a lot of people tho that.. cracking the die would be an issue if you really put exaggerated pressure with a cooler and this only can occur because you have to remove the CPU retention bracket, so the real care have to be at the moment of the cooler installation, MSI have a little tool called "MSI Delid die guard" meant to be used with naked core die to help at the moment of cooler installation and make everything sure that the applied force is pretty even, Also I know EK have a kit for their waterblocks for the use with naked core die so you won't be able to overtight the block, for the people who like to over-tight things its a needed tool...

Running naked core die it's great, I did it the last week of use with my 3770K when replaced it with the 6700K and temps are amazing..
 
Mine is naked as well.

The procedure to remove the IHS is a bit risky, but with the towel and vice method everything ended smoothly.
 
When you de-lid one of these LGA type CPUs, how do you get the socket to hold the CPU in properly? All the Intel CPUs I have around use the IHS as part of the retention mechanism; it looks like it would be loose in the socket without it.
 
When you de-lid one of these LGA type CPUs, how do you get the socket to hold the CPU in properly? All the Intel CPUs I have around use the IHS as part of the retention mechanism; it looks like it would be loose in the socket without it.

MSI Delid die guard or similar tool. there are a lot of those kind official as the MSI one or Unofficial made by the people..

But yes, your point is right, when you remove entirely the lid and the retention bracket the CPU isn't hold by anything which its the step that make the cooler mounting procedure risky..

26-die-guard-top.jpg


3lip.jpg




User Made retention bracket for naked die example:

screenshota005.jpg
 
Wow I had not even thought about retention but the above examples are awesome.. where could I get something like that? I have done a de-lid already and it went very well so this will be my 2nd one.
 
Yes, bare die dropped my 4760k temps like a MF and I can run it close to 5GHz with a Noctua D15 now. Just be aware that Direct Touch Heatpipe coolers cannot be run effectively without the noobshield as only one of the pipes will contact the core. AiO coolers should have no problem aside from needing extra mounting pressure which goes for all coolers. I like to use rubber washers approximately the thickness of the noobshield to offset the loss in height.

Those retention plates are awesome!
 
Can someone tell me where to get a retention plate? I am ready to do this! I mean hell we survived mounting heatsinks directly on the core many many years ago..
 
Yes, bare die dropped my 4760k temps like a MF and I can run it close to 5GHz with a Noctua D15 now. Just be aware that Direct Touch Heatpipe coolers cannot be run effectively without the noobshield as only one of the pipes will contact the core. AiO coolers should have no problem aside from needing extra mounting pressure which goes for all coolers. I like to use rubber washers approximately the thickness of the noobshield to offset the loss in height.

Those retention plates are awesome!


Lol noobshield. Love it
 
Well I got the precise mount kit and thermal paste delivered. Will be attempting this soon.. wish me luck.. I am hoping I don't have to drain my loop and can just lay the PC on it's side. Not sure if the top of my EK Res has an O-ring seal or not... if it doesn't this will go badly lol. I will lay it on its side in a direction that wont poor fluid into the PC at first to give it a shot.


Anyone know if this res (Xres 140) is sealed on the top?

 
Well that was almost toooo dang easy.. I found my last seat to be a poor one also which explains why my temps were never good with the loop. I was hitting 81C just a few minutes into OCCT but it never got over that and usually dropp into the mid to upper 70s when settled in. Now 62C is the peak it has hit.... VERY worth it and VERY simple to do.
 
Well that was almost toooo dang easy.. I found my last seat to be a poor one also which explains why my temps were never good with the loop. I was hitting 81C just a few minutes into OCCT but it never got over that and usually dropp into the mid to upper 70s when settled in. Now 62C is the peak it has hit.... VERY worth it and VERY simple to do.


Glad it worked out for you! Did you cut her top off or use a vice?
 
Starting to experience weird issues now.. strange my battery backup went out on me.... and I jsut got my first bluescreen I have ever had with my PC.. just some really odd issues.. but it all started a few days after going naked...
 
That vice puts some pretty crazy stresses on the substrate. Hopefully nothing happened when you took her top off.
What BSOD codes are you getting?
 
That vice puts some pretty crazy stresses on the substrate. Hopefully nothing happened when you took her top off.
What BSOD codes are you getting?

I ran OCCT for a few hours no issues.. the BSOD was launching OCCT before ever turning on the stress test.. honestly I have alays had issues with this version of OCCT even on other PC's so its hard for me to make that proof of issue. I might give her a bump in voltage.. she is running a lot cooler on the startup.. I've been gaming etc with zero issues.. only 2 issues I have had is the BSOD and that over heat warning.. but temps are LOW.. idle in the 20s loads in the low 60s.
 
Sounds like you have a good place to start troubleshooting. Changing versions of OCCT!
 
Thermal issue never returned but the battery back that went bad was causing a lot of weird issues maybe even the blue screen. Back on wall power for now and no issues.
 
Well I got the precise mount kit and thermal paste delivered. Will be attempting this soon.. wish me luck.. I am hoping I don't have to drain my loop and can just lay the PC on it's side. Not sure if the top of my EK Res has an O-ring seal or not... if it doesn't this will go badly lol. I will lay it on its side in a direction that wont poor fluid into the PC at first to give it a shot.


Anyone know if this res (Xres 140) is sealed on the top?

That is a sweet case. That white is fucking awesome as hell. I swore I would never water cool again, but damn. Just damn.
 
That is a sweet case. That white is fucking awesome as hell. I swore I would never water cool again, but damn. Just damn.

Thanks! Man it had been since like 2000 since I did water cooling on this level.. back then it was pond pumps and danger den maze blocks. Things have changed so much. They also got MUCH more expensive along the way. In November this Loop will have been running a year. So far its been great but the Mayhems pastel fluid seems to be getting a tad lighter. Cooling performance has not changed and I see no need to address anything until it does. If you decide to do one use the Distilled water with Mayhems dyes if you want color along with a kill coil. That is probably what I will change out to later on... As for the white I was sick of building black PC's... I have a Mustang that is white and figured why not!

My reason for going white lol
 
What is ironic about this is I have been seeing these white power supplies and motherboards and I thought to myself how ugly they were and who the hell would want WHITE!!!. But after seeing that your build, I was shocked. I've seen a lot of modded builds on forums etc., but most are too blingy. Some of the custom cut cases with killer paint jobs are cool, but this has a whole simplistic yet stark artistic style.

What is a kill coil? I'm not all into the water-cooling lingo, as I only tried a CPU cooler from Thermaltake when I first built my i7-920 system back in 2009. Just didn't cool enough so I ditched it and got s Spire thermax 2 Air Cooler and never looked back.

We gotta get you a white motherboard next!!

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 S LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
 
Kill coil is a small slivered piece of sterling silver. Silver oxide has amazing antimicrobial properties. It's even used today in treating burn patients externally. Silvadine is the name of one of the creams IIRC.
 
Kill coil is a small slivered piece of sterling silver. Silver oxide has amazing antimicrobial properties. It's even used today in treating burn patients externally. Silvadine is the name of one of the creams IIRC.

Thanks lol. I have always liked a more simple clean looking build. To many cases these days are just way over the top forbmy taste. The kill cool keeps things from growing in your water loop going custom loop means you will have to maintain it. If you want something you can just slap on and enjoy look into swiftech and EK Predator.
 
Thanks lol. I have always liked a more simple clean looking build. To many cases these days are just way over the top forbmy taste. The kill cool keeps things from growing in your water loop going custom loop means you will have to maintain it. If you want something you can just slap on and enjoy look into swiftech and EK Predator.

Indeed. Now, most of your coolant concentrates, like EK's, have antimicrobial additives in them, so the coil isnt necessary.
 
Indeed. Now, most of your coolant concentrates, like EK's, have antimicrobial additives in them, so the coil isnt necessary.

Yeah for some of us those are having issues. I think longevity and least problem free distilled water and a kill cool is still the best option. I should have listened when I was told to do this. Mayhems gets a lot of good feedback here but in another forum where Mayhem is posting there are a good number of ppl having issues including Jayz2cents who honestly annoys me but I'm seeing the same problems in my pastel as he was. I will use distilled water and Mayhems die next time. For now I'll see how long the cooling performance lasts with the pastel. I need to look more into EK coolants.
 
Yeah for some of us those are having issues. I think longevity and least problem free distilled water and a kill cool is still the best option. I should have listened when I was told to do this. Mayhems gets a lot of good feedback here but in another forum where Mayhem is posting there are a good number of ppl having issues including Jayz2cents who honestly annoys me but I'm seeing the same problems in my pastel as he was. I will use distilled water and Mayhems die next time. For now I'll see how long the cooling performance lasts with the pastel. I need to look more into EK coolants.


I use the EK pastel green, and I love it. Smells tasty as well lol
 
Back
Top