4790K owners - what's your OC?

melk

[H]ard|Gawd
My 4790K is soon to arrive and I'm just wondering what others have seen for stable clocks?

It's an Asrock Z87 ITX board with H105 rad.

stock at the moment. it's 5 days old so I want to make sure everything is stable first.

I'm running on stock. Can go to 4,8, but the 400 mhz gives nothing in term of FPS, and the heat is noticeable, so I just put it on stock, my 280L Nepton iskeeping temps at 60C, fans are barely audible, so why would I bother.

Yeah 4.0 / 4.4 on these seems pretty great... not sure it's really worth it to muck around just for an extra 200-300mhz.

Why undervolt|?

I used my board setting to choose 4.6 and it seems to be locked in with no issues. Couple hours gaming so far. CPUZ says 1.28v max temp 66c

Running 4.4GHz @ 1.185v.
Can do 4.6GHz @ 1.375v, but there's really no noticeable difference, except higher temps and fan noise.

4.7ghz @ around 1.3 i think. I oc'd it the day it came out and havent touched since.

4790/ Asrock z97 Extreme6
4.5/[email protected].
This is my initial OC on this combo.

Prime stable 1hour but had a single crash in sc2 4vs4. Max temp was 85C in Prime, 2 cores only hit max 80C.Trying to test further to isolate if application crash by testing.

I tried when I first got it a month ago, didn't seem worth it. Even stock, the temps are much higher than I like. My 2600k overclocks much better, and easier, but stock 4790k seems just as fast to me.

None cause I have a 212 Evo and don't want to burn it out for no reason =)
Gets hot fast even at Winter time running something like Dragon Age wouldn't dare Run Prime 95.

Quick questions.
System died the other day (psu) but before I figured it out I went and picked up new psu/mb/cpu. As it was just the psu thinking of returning the cpu/mb.

How much faster is s 4790K compared to my i5-760 Lynnfield @2.8? Its going on fiver years but not sure if I will even notice the improvement.

Yeah, the 4790k would be way faster and a noticeable upgrade. That said, if you don't have an ssd boot drive, get that first.

I've got a 2600k at the moment and was looking at upgrading and picking one of these up. Is it even worth it? I havent overclocked my 2600, maybe it would be worth picking up a nice cooler and over clocking instead?

^ get the cooler and overclock instead. I only "upgraded" because I was going to use my 2600k in an HTPC build. The cooler will also last you a few builds as long as you don't go cheap.

Currently running 4.5Ghz @ 1.199v. Cooler is a 212 EVO with a pair of Corsair SP120s.

I've got a 2600k at the moment and was looking at upgrading and picking one of these up. Is it even worth it? I havent overclocked my 2600, maybe it would be worth picking up a nice cooler and over clocking instead?

LOL! These babies will easily do 4.5 on a good air cooler. There is no need to upgrade at the moment, just OC this bad boy and you're pretty much in the same league as the new rigs.

Back