4770k heat issue

newdamage1

Limp Gawd
Ive never been a serious overclock'er, and figured that I'd go a bit deeper on this build, and grabbed a 4770k and a z87x-ud3h. I've been using it stock as I don't have a HSF yet, and noticed that my load temps are crazy high. This is what Ive been seeing at all stock settings:

idle / browsing: 30-35c
Gaming (Planetside2): 60-65c
Handbrake: 85-90c
Prime95: 100c (in like 5 seconds flat)

I've pulled off the HSF and re-applied paste and made sure the everything was snug. I don't know what to think, do I have a dud? is the standard HSF for these chip inadequate? (both?)

Thoughts / suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
is the standard HSF for these chip inadequate?

This. The job of the standard heatsink is to keep the CPU under 105C when running normal applications. From your temps it seems to be doing that.

This. The job of the standard heatsink is to keep the CPU under 105C when running normal applications. From your temps it seems to be doing that.

is that right? the cpu will start to throttle at 90-95c. why would they come with a cooler that would let it get to the throttling point at stock?

"When it comes to load temperatures we fired up Prime 95 27.7 64-bit and saw the CPU core temperature rise to 86C with a CPU total TDP of around 75 Watts. The CPU temperature rose quickly, but eventually the fan profile kicked in and the fan speed increased enough to compensate for the heavy workload. No CPU Throttling was noted with the stock CPU cooler, but with temperatures hitting 86C, we highly advise aftermarket cooling if you plan on doing any overclocking as these new 22nm processors do run warm."

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2203/13/

It's the fault of two things that are 100% on Intel's shoulders: the OEM HSF and the "let's be cheap asses and put paste instead of solder under the IHS"... They certainly are capable of keeping the CPU under the temperature throttle/shutdown threshold, but just barely. You're going to have to tough it out until you can get a much better HSF.

The stock HSF is just absolutely awful. I just got my 4770k delivered yesterday, and coming from an I7 920, I saw the size of the box and thought "oh, this must be the packaging without the CPU cooler" as I thought I had read somewhere they'd sell it with and without a stock HSF. I was wrong, I opened it up and the stock heatsink is just absolutely tiny. The 920's stock heatsink was almost twice as big, I actually dug it out of my parts to compare.

I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised, it was pretty similar (if not identical) in size to my xeon 1230V2, which is Ivy bridge, but even on that thing I bought a cheap hyper212 evo.

Haswell actually runs pretty cool at stock speeds so the hsf supplied is fine.

Haswell actually runs pretty cool at stock speeds so the hsf supplied is fine.

The OP is running his CPU at stock and getting 100C temps at Prime95 and 85 to 90C on handbrake.

The OP is running his CPU at stock and getting 100C temps at Prime95 and 85 to 90C on handbrake.

do you really think intel would release a cpu with a cooler that would make the cpu throttle at stock speed?

Almost ciertainly you have a contact issue. Either between the core and the IHS or IHS and the HS. If you are damn sure you have mounted the HS securely to the IHS I would get a replacement cpu, or if you can't, delid that MF and fix it your self.

do you really think intel would release a cpu with a cooler that would make the cpu throttle at stock speed?

I don't know.. maybe they consider stuff like Aida64 FPU-only or Prime95 AVX overkill, much like Nvidia and AMD considered Furmark not representative of real world usage..As you can see in the first post, there's a massive difference running games etc. compared to artificial stress tests like Prime95 which is something I've observed too. Simply checking both CPU and FPU in Aida64 drops the temps 12+C compared to FPU-only.

Like I said, I'm not so sure. Considering the temps I get with the massive Phanteks PH-TC14PE and the diminutive size of the stock heatsink, I don't feel confident that it's up to the task.

Looks like they're testing without a case:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2203/5/

Installing in a small-ish case can easily add 10C or even more. Add another 5C due to a hot room (it's summer and everyone doesn't have AC running at full blast) and 100+C doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure everything is installed OK, but I'll tear the mobo out tomorrow and be absolutely sure I have good contact and then re-install. Do any of you have any experience doing an RMA for this sort of thing? (assuming my re-mount doesn't have any effect)

he say he is hitting 100c in a few seconds when running prime. at 100c i am sure it is throttling. He must not have it seated correctly.

here 86c at prime stock settings.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2203/13/

Throttling in my experience will not occur until it hits TJ Max (105c in this case). Maybe something is different with haswell but that's been my experience on Nehalem/Gulftown/SB/IB.

Source: I've been trying to squeeze as much out of my 3770ks in the past week as I can. Lots and lots and lots and lots of testing and monitoring in the 90-105c range.

Prime95 is not a normal application that a normal consumer using the stock HSF will run. And even so, it's keeping it within spec (under 105c). The stock HSF is sufficient for stock speeds.

Intel has stated themselves that you will not kill their processors with heat alone. After years of beating the snot out of my i7s with super high temps I'm inclined to believe them.

If you want to improve temps without a new cooler you might want to take a look at the airflow of the case. The smaller coolers really rely on proper airflow flowing across them from the case fans.

Ok I couldn't wait to tear it down. :p Pulled the mobo out, looked a-ok. I pulled HSF off anyway, re-tim'ed it and reinstalled. Same deal. See link to screenprint below. Even with a new HSF (I ordered a Evo 212) I cannot imagine this cpu will overclock at all. I may take newegg up on their return policy...

http://imgur.com/kXGU4uP

There's nothing wrong with the 4770k and stock HSF if you're using stock speeds. Just don't overclock it.

Yeah it get's hot. But what did you expect when you run prime?

It's been well know for quite a while that the intel stock HSF is NOT sufficient for their higher end processors at all especially the i7. I have tested sandy/ivy and as i would assume haswell unlocked/locked versions at stock will overheat under full load. It's not a heat transfer issue neither as it just doesn't dissipate the heat quick enough even with the fan on full.

Throttling in my experience will not occur until it hits TJ Max (105c in this case). Maybe something is different with haswell but that's been my experience on Nehalem/Gulftown/SB/IB.

TJ Max was lowered to 100C with Haswell, while the CPU itself runs notably hotter than IB. Not a very good combination when IB was already on the edge as far as temps. This is why I think the Intel stock HSF is marginal at best. For games and even video encoding and other "normal" tasks, sure, but Prime 95 AVX, Aida64 FPU etc. I just can't see how it would be sufficient.

that is the highest stock voltage ive seen under load. I assume it is set to auto?

that is the highest stock voltage ive seen under load. I assume it is set to auto?

Yes, I have not even bothered with OC'ing other than the light setting within Easytune (4.1), and that was just a short gaming session and then I reset it all back to auto. I may manually set stock settings and see if that's any different.

There's nothing wrong with the 4770k and stock HSF if you're using stock speeds. Just don't overclock it.

Yeah it get's hot. But what did you expect when you run prime?

The screen print above was handbrake running. In my original post, I only let HB run for a few minutes as the system buzzers had me spooked. In the past I would OC and then test running the things that the box would normally do, if they passed I would run prime to weed out any issues that would only be found in the extreme. This was years ago, tools and even methodology for this may have changed.

For comparison, all at stock atm, just picked up this week
Z87x-UD3H
Hyper 212, 1 fan, used there paste
Corsair 300R with no system fans

28c idle
70c prime after 20 min with fan at 1700rpm, just before i was about to post it shot up to 92c interesting
25c ambient temp

Edit: Back down to 70c again, still running the same instance of prime

Last edited:
Uhm, why in the HECK is your chip at 1.224V at stock settings? Your chip should not be anywhere near that high in terms of voltage at stock.

Heck yeah it will have high temperatures at that voltage. That voltage is not correct, either your BIOS is screwed up or you have adaptive voltage enabled which increases voltage too high during AVX loads. If you fix your voltage your temps will lower accordingly.

Uhm, why in the HECK is your chip at 1.224V at stock settings? Your chip should not be anywhere near that high in terms of voltage at stock.

Heck yeah it will have high temperatures at that voltage. That voltage is not correct, either your BIOS is screwed up or you have adaptive voltage enabled which increases voltage too high during AVX loads. If you fix your voltage your temps will lower accordingly.

Mine runs 1.204 stock under prime.

For comparison, all at stock atm, just picked up this week
Z87x-UD3H
Hyper 212, 1 fan, used there paste
Corsair 300R with no system fans

28c idle
70c prime after 20 min with fan at 1700rpm, just before i was about to post it shot up to 92c interesting
25c ambient temp

Edit: Back down to 70c again, still running the same instance of prime

Out of curiosity, what batch is yours? Mines L312B326

My chip runs 1.138v loaded at stock everything.
I set it 4.2 @ 1.15v on day one and it loads out 65c in prime. Gets same as stock volts loaded.
1.25v @ 4.5 I see upper 80s lol
Original H100 on medium setting.

I think its normal for that temperature especially when using crazy blend software like prime95. You won't get that temperature on normal tasking or even gaming.

Mine runs 1.204 stock under prime.

That is NOT the proper voltage, but if you're using adaptive voltage - that will add +1V during AVX type loads. IIRC the 4770k should not exceed 1.1V or thereabouts at stock. It certainly should NOT be 1.25V at stock, that is just nuts.

is your motherboard running all cores at maximum turbo? remember, intel specifies that this cpu should be running at 3.7 with all cores loaded, but ultimately this is up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement. a lot of them 'cheat' and run all cores at 3.9 instead. this in conjunction with the fact that haswell cpu's pull extra voltage when running avx instructions - even at stock clocks and volts - can mean that the stock cooler can be overwhelmed when stress testing.

also, don't forget manufacturing variances - you may simply have gotten a cpu that runs a bit hotter than the one that legitreviews was using.

That is NOT the proper voltage, but if you're using adaptive voltage - that will add +1V during AVX type loads.

haswell does this by design, even if you're running at stock clocks and stock voltage. the only way to prevent the extra voltage juicing is to set a fixed manual voltage.

Being a person that cannot leave anything well alone. I dug around in the garage for an hour and found the HSF from my old Q9450. I know 755 is smaller than 1150, but with a few mods and holding my mouth right, I got it to bolt on. Its about double the size of the 4770k stocker. See here
So, what was my results of this test? -2c at idle and maybe an extra 10 seconds before it hit 100c in handbrake. I really need to find something else to keep me ocupied untill the Evo comes in next week. ;)

That is NOT the proper voltage, but if you're using adaptive voltage - that will add +1V during AVX type loads. IIRC the 4770k should not exceed 1.1V or thereabouts at stock. It certainly should NOT be 1.25V at stock, that is just nuts.

That is stock with everything on auto (mb in sig). With that same voltage the chip will run 4.2.

Hi all

Re. my 4770k

I am too getting poor heat results all stock bios settings triple checked.....

tested with intel burn test which i have to stop short......

1st stock cooler 103c in less than 10 secs
2nd be quiet shadow pro sr1 up to 100c around 10 to 15 secs
3rd corsair h80i between 90c to 95c again around 10 to 15 secs

At the moment so i can work i am having to disable hyper threading and under volt the cpu to keep my temps down which is a joke ......

Surely this can not be right ...paying over £270 for this from intel i feel some what ripped off

ta sy

I almost forgot to report the end result of all of this. I ended up getting a EVO 212 and that put the heat issue to bed. I even get a mild OC off the chip too, 4.4 on 2 cores and 4.2 on 4 cores @ 1.2v and 75c. It will go 4.5x2 and 4.4x4 @ 1.255v and 90c but I need this chip to last a few years. OH, and I don't remember if I mentioned this previously, but this gigabyte board on "Auto" tries to run the CPU at 3.9 on 4 cores, setting them manually to the stock 3.5 does allow it to run (~80c) with the stock cooler.

I ran my 4770K with the stock cooler for a few weeks before I ordered the Phanteks PH-TC12DX and your temps with stock heatsink seem completely normal to me. In normal usage and games the chip won't throttle. Synthetic loads such as Prime95 produce unrealistic temperatures.

I have my 4770K OC'ed to 4K and it is running at 34c at idle with a Corsaid H100i cooler. It is batch L313B328

ive got mine at 4.2 at 1.15 volts at 25 ambient in my office idle is 28-31 across the cores running prime blend it gets to 67 this is with an h80i set to exhaust
anyone know how to set a manual voltage that will still go down at idle but at load wont increase above my set voltage? seems running prime and adia64 stress it will go up to 1.24 volts.

Hi all

Re. my 4770k

I am too getting poor heat results all stock bios settings triple checked.....

tested with intel burn test which i have to stop short......

1st stock cooler 103c in less than 10 secs
2nd be quiet shadow pro sr1 up to 100c around 10 to 15 secs
3rd corsair h80i between 90c to 95c again around 10 to 15 secs

At the moment so i can work i am having to disable hyper threading and under volt the cpu to keep my temps down which is a joke ......

Surely this can not be right ...paying over £270 for this from intel i feel some what ripped off

ta sy

Sounds like we almost got the same chip...

Tested with IntelBurnTest also.
with an h100i, at stock it maxes out at 72c.
when I tried overclocking to 4.0ghz @ 1.20v it hit 100c within a few seconds...

This is after I took the mobo apart and reapplied some ArcticSilver5 and made sure it was properly seated on the processor..

Back