4770k heat issue

Hey, I am completely new to Intel and overclocking this thing.
My last CPU was FX-8350 / 9590.

So, no I got this 4770K here, stock / auto bios (Asus Maximus VI Formula) and I am like WTF. I was like, ok, let's see if we can get 4.6GHz, set it there, and 1.2volts, and boom, no boot. OK, maybe 4.5GHz, no boot, already anger coming up my throat.
back into UEFI, stock auto happy days - under load, e.g. AIDA64 stability test I get up to 80C

-back soon- :)

It's the fault of two things that are 100% on Intel's shoulders: the OEM HSF and the "let's be cheap asses and put paste instead of solder under the IHS"... They certainly are capable of keeping the CPU under the temperature throttle/shutdown threshold, but just barely. You're going to have to tough it out until you can get a much better HSF.

Integrated VRM is causing more problems then anything. Ivy was kind of average for OC but delidded you could get them in line. Even delidding haswell you get many chips which are thermal duds.

Hey, I am completely new to Intel and overclocking this thing.
My last CPU was FX-8350 / 9590.

So, no I got this 4770K here, stock / auto bios (Asus Maximus VI Formula) and I am like WTF. I was like, ok, let's see if we can get 4.6GHz, set it there, and 1.2volts, and boom, no boot. OK, maybe 4.5GHz, no boot, already anger coming up my throat.
back into UEFI, stock auto happy days - under load, e.g. AIDA64 stability test I get up to 80C

-back soon- :)

Yeah im on the same path coming from 8320, and scrathed my head looking at the bios...that said i had more luck, Running now 4,5ghz- 1,248V, Hitting 88C in prime95, but only 60ish in games.

Running OOCT Linpack now - again that is at stock settings in UEFI - already at 75-83C on the cores... I will try 4GHz after this, 4.2GHz 1.2v earlier crashed almost instantly!

Also, I don't think it is my cooling - my Kraken X60 with MX4 TIM, it kept my old FX-8350 @4.8GHz and also my test FX-9590 cool enough to run prime95 FFT....
Or is this 4770k generally soo much more effort than AMD's nuclear reactors?

I really think my chip is bad, what you guys thing?
Thanks! :/

Btw, just updated my sig... :)

I was just on two chats with Intel.
They were just saying, yeah, under 100C it's fine.
You shouldn't overclock it to 3.9GHz (???) - I asked him it this was Sales or Technical Support.
So basically they say if I watercool (ok, it's closed-loop, but still) up to 85C is fine under load for completely stock settings (or as Intel dude says a 3.9GHz overclock...).
I was just asking him if I should put my stock cooler on and do the same and if they'd also pay for my motherboard burning away? ...
Really, why is this thing so sh**

Running OOCT Linpack now - again that is at stock settings in UEFI - already at 75-83C on the cores... I will try 4GHz after this, 4.2GHz 1.2v earlier crashed almost instantly!

Also, I don't think it is my cooling - my Kraken X60 with MX4 TIM, it kept my old FX-8350 @4.8GHz and also my test FX-9590 cool enough to run prime95 FFT....
Or is this 4770k generally soo much more effort than AMD's nuclear reactors?

I really think my chip is bad, what you guys thing?
Thanks! :/

Btw, just updated my sig... :)

I just found out, that the bios set my 1866 CL9 ram to 9-13-13-29 timing, and when i set the right 9-9-9-24 timing, i get BSOD on win load.

If you have BSOD try bluescreenviewer, it will tell you what caused it...

I just tested the 4770K with the stock cooler, everything stock.
My room's about 21C, so not exactly warm.
Prime95 FFT - about 100C (between 98C and 101C), throttling back to 3.4GHz, sometimes 3.3Ghz.

So, basically this CPU does throttle so much under load that it does not achieve its regular operating speed of 3.5GHz with the stock cooler.

Is that normal? It's like saying, yes you can reach 3.5GHz normal speed, but that is more theoretical as it will throttle or you can't use the intel cooler.... derp.

Reading "http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/7" makes me cry... :/

Last edited:
Prime95 and Intel burn are not real world scenarios though.
I hit the max with prime95 and it throttled back as well, Intel burn passed but it was close.
During gaming such as ME2 using core temp the cores were around 147F, CPU was 130F.
Prime95, yeah the cores maxed but CPU only hit 167F.
This is due to the thick TIM used, the cores cannot dissipate the heat as well as they could.
Stock sink has a copper core and aluminum fins, it's the CPU and it's design which is more the issue.

Haswell actually runs pretty cool at stock speeds so the hsf supplied is fine.

This. Mine still ran withing range overclocked with a H100i, but honestly it ran super cool stock, so I left it that way. Its a very capable and powerful chip without much overclocking.

Prime95 and Intel burn are not real world scenarios though.
I hit the max with prime95 and it throttled back as well, Intel burn passed but it was close.
During gaming such as ME2 using core temp the cores were around 147F, CPU was 130F.
Prime95, yeah the cores maxed but CPU only hit 167F.
This is due to the thick TIM used, the cores cannot dissipate the heat as well as they could.
Stock sink has a copper core and aluminum fins, it's the CPU and it's design which is more the issue.

Agreed, I hit around 90C in prime, but a more real world test, converting a big mkv to avi on 8 cores, and it only hit 70C. In games more like 65-70.
That is completely good.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
I mainly registered to thank the people contributing to this thread for stopping me form having to go trough a needles return of my CPU and/or motherboard.

Now to share my personal experience with the 4770k and the GA-Z87X-UD3H:

My CPU idles at 41C-43C on core #0 and 33C-38C o the rest of cores with an ambient temperature of ~20C with the stock cooler, one 12cm fan blowing out at 800rpm and the side panel open. I also use the build in video accelerator and that might also heat up things. This temperature is given by CoreTemp. The temperature shown by EasyTune is strangely ~10C less.

I've stress tested the system with IntelBurnTest, which is supposed to be more brutal than prime95, on the standard setting and it reached 101C in about 30 seconds but i let the test end and it did so successfully. I didn't even observe any throttling although TjMax is 100C.

Encoding a 720p DSLR clip to YouTube 720p with Adobe Media Encoder topped at 81C with all cores at 100%.

I suspect there are two things at play here:

- The first one is that the Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H runs all cores at 3.9GHz at all time if the power setting is set to Balanced or higher. Not lowering the cores at 3.7 or even 3.5GHz may explain part of the temperature issue. Btw, if the power setting is set to "Power saver" the CPU goes down straight to 800MHz.

- The second thing is the weird offset in EasyTune, i don't think Gigabyte would show a different temperature than all other system monitors if it wasn't for specific technical knowledge. Maybe that extra thick copper on the board and those extra thick gold plated pins mess with the thermal sensor. Why wouldn't they offset the temperature in the firmware is beyond me.

My CPU batch number is L316B316

So it seems ~100C in stress test with the CPU locked at 3.9GHz and stock cooling is normal...

Regarding the Hyper 212 EVO, does anyone know if the back plate fits with a case that lacks a cutout behind the CPU? I know i will have to take the motherboard out, but would it fit back in, or will it push with the cooler back plate against the motherboard tray? I guess the motherboard bronze spacers are of a standard dimension?

Last edited:
i have problem with high temperatures too
i7 4770k
air cooling: fortis he 1225
motheroard: z87-g43 MSI last bios 1.6
xfx 750 powersuply
case: gladius M40

i didnt OC processor.
all tests with opened case and all fans on (2 front 120 and 1 back 120)
termal paste is MX-4
i was reapply paste 3 times and ths are the best results(erlier i get worst temps about +2*C):
temps checked using: CPUID HWMonitor, and core temp

with idle i get 25-29*C
with artlantis - rendering scene for about 16 minutes i get max temp 66*C
with prime95v27.9 small FFT's max 81-83 but most of the time 79*C
with OCCT 4.4.0 max temp 79 after few minutes
with intel burn test i get max 85-86*C

i didnt try stock cooling but i think with prime i will get about 100*C...
crazy...

temperature in my room is now about 18*C so its not to hot... but im affraid about summer ... when temperature in the room will be 24-30*C... ten i think temps will be crazy even with my good air cooling.

Last edited:
Will 100C kill at 4770K at stock?

These procs have thermal shutdown protection. If the chip is about to get to that point where heat is going to damage it, it will power off. High voltage is what kills chips, for the most part.

Stress testing seems completely unnecessary at stock. Using the thing is a stress test at that point. If it blue screens, maybe change something, if not, try not to break it. :p

I see this thread is not closed so i'll follow up on my previous post.
The cause of my 4770k idling at 43C on the the GA-Z87X-UD3H was the video card drivers. They were somehow conflicting with the USB drivers and caused high interrupts on the CPU After updating the video driver the interrupt count is normal and the CPU throttles to 800MHz when idle on the normal power profile.
The idle temperature is 31C now.

It's been well know for quite a while that the intel stock HSF is NOT sufficient for their higher end processors at all especially the i7. I have tested sandy/ivy and as i would assume haswell unlocked/locked versions at stock will overheat under full load. It's not a heat transfer issue neither as it just doesn't dissipate the heat quick enough even with the fan on full.

Baloney.

The stock HSF at stock speeds runs cool enough to not throttle without some sustained crunch or impaired airflow.

Back