450 GT only works in 1st slot?

djstarfox

Gawd
I'm trying to get a Sparkle Geforce 450 GT working in my computer.

It seems to only work when it's in the top PCIE slot, but I have 2 PCIE 16x slots. I wanted to move it to the 2nd slot for cooling purposes. However when I do, I get repeated screen blanks and Windows saying that the video driver crashed. In Linux, the whole machine just locks up after logging in.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
EVGA X58 SLI Micro
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Seasonic SS-560KM

I did RMA the first video card, but their replacement does the same thing!

However, I have an old 8600GT that works perfectly in either slot. What the hell is going on?

sounds like it may be a motherboard problem i've ran into this issue a few time with some motherboards, not all, i've had one motherboard that wouldnt even read a 8800GS(screen would just be blank) till i updated the BIOs, contact EVGA and see if they can give you some help.

Have you tried playing with the PCIe slot settings on the motherboard? Some motherboards have primary slot settings/bandwidth assignments/other things which might be causing this if it isn't in the first slot. What does the event viewer say?

You know when I built my first PC back in '98 I had a similar weird issue. With an ABIT mobo and a Diamond TNT card if I had ram in slot 1 it choked. I sold the card on ebay since it worked in my dad's pc, but right before it shipped I found the problem on usenet and moved the ram and it worked great. I purchased a different brand of TNT (asus) and it worked great w/ ram in slot 1.

I would not assume it's your video card.

Back