45.5 GB Installer folder size in Win 10 Pro 64 install???

x509

2[H]4U
I just ran TreeSize Personal on my old laptop and the new one I just bought recently. I was wondering why there was so much less free space on the C drive in the old system, compared with the new system, with roughly similar installed programs.:confused:

So I found out that the old system, call it System C, has this 45.5 Install subdirectory :mad: that is not present at all in the new system, call it System D. :cautious: When I expand the Installer subdirectory, there is a 4.7 GB $PatchCache$ subdir and then a whole bunch of smaller dirs with long, all numeric file names. o_O

If it matters, System C was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64, and System D, being new, came with Win 10 already installed.

Can I safely delete all or part of the Installer dir? :unsure:

It should be safe to remove. The official way from MSFT is to run Disk Cleanup, and let it scan for system files. It should be under the title of "Previous Windows Installations."

if you wanna decrease it some more i can reccomende to also dele all .cab files in
%windir%\logs\CBS\

I removed 60gb of accumulated drivers backup in one windows with "DriverStore.Explorer.v0.8"
i simpyl choose the eentir row and let it go to town. alot of stuff it couldntt remove ( the drivers in use).
system still worka flawless but 60gb lighter.

Use the disk cleanup function, it will nuke all your old service packs and install files along with the old OS files if you give it permission. My Win10 installs had about 20 gigabytes of crud there.

Back