43,000+ Gamers Call For Communication From Valve

pfft - how about these gamers say they will pay 50 bucks for the game? thats about 2.2 million right there

pfft - how about these gamers say they will pay 50 bucks for the game? thats about 2.2 million right there

I'm guessing the people doing this care enough about HL to pay for the game anyway, so it's kind of a moot point to say that IMO.

Perhaps they arent allowed to make anymore HL2, maybe LucasArts lawyers knocked on their door telling them to stop copycat'ing the Jedi Knight games :D

You have tried playing Jedi Outcast and then HL2 right after?, an enormous amount of similarities in the storyline and enemies/creeps, amazing how close they are, I'm gonna try playing them again sometime and then fraps all the similarities and make a splitscreen comparison. :D

Episode 2 bored me and I didn't even finish it so an Episode 3 doesn't interest me much.

Its sad really. I doubt I'll get to play it when it does come out. I no longer have computer that will run it and with the job market and economy the way it is. Its going to be a long time before I can dig myself out of this hole for anything new.

While I know they don't want to hype the game up till its done or anything I still think a little news as to whats going on would help the fans understand why its taking so long.

Valve is too busy counting their profits on Steam to care enough about an Episode 3.

I bet they have the game conceptually made already and are just waiting for a good time to build it out.....Say maybe when the next xbox and playstations are available for them to develop on.

Thats what I'd do.

I'd thought most people had come to the same conclusion -- that Ep3 has basically been turned into full-fledged HL3 and so that is why we hear so little on it.

I finally just played Lost Coast after upgrading my rig, little disappointing, but hey still alright. I need to play HL2 again...still one of the best FPSs around.

Valve had stated that information was scheduled to be released towards the end of 2008, and we believe that if they have chosen to change those plans, fans should be acknowledged

Well im no Einstein but i think its pretty safe to say thsoe plans have changed, you know..it being 2012 and all.. :)

Valve is too busy counting their profits on Steam to care enough about an Episode 3.
This.

When Steam became a success and Orange Box was released on console, anything important to PC gamers to a backseat.
They know a new/updated engine has to be created first before a the next HL game can be released. Some people maybe happy with 2007 visuals, but it would be underwhelming to the majority of people

Yes.... the next HL will be tied to the new consoles, and I wouldn't expect anything until they're released.
Get ready for Counter Strike:GO sessions with your console buddies.

I won't sign the petition; I think it's silly and will get us nowhere. But I do hope that Valve says something soon. I absolutely cannot wait to sink my teeth into Episode 3/HL3/whatever it will be called.

This.

When Steam became a success and Orange Box was released on console, anything important to PC gamers to a backseat.
They know a new/updated engine has to be created first before a the next HL game can be released. Some people maybe happy with 2007 visuals, but it would be underwhelming to the majority of people

Yes.... the next HL will be tied to the new consoles, and I wouldn't expect anything until they're released.
Get ready for Counter Strike:GO sessions with your console buddies.

You mean except for L4D2, Portal 2, and Counter Strike Source. Oh, and continually adding indie developers and getting new accounts for Steam so more PC users could get more games. Oh and being more involved with expanding PC gaming and getting more word about and finding more ways to get more gamers onto the PC platform...you mean besides that right? And all by a company 20 times smaller than other gaming companies...

While they are certainly raking in the dough, they have been pretty proactive in the gaming market. Just not so much with Half Life.

They released Portal 2 and free DLC for it not that long ago. It's not like they've just stopped making games entirely.

Perhaps they arent allowed to make anymore HL2, maybe LucasArts lawyers knocked on their door telling them to stop copycat'ing the Jedi Knight games :D

You have tried playing Jedi Outcast and then HL2 right after?, an enormous amount of similarities in the storyline and enemies/creeps, amazing how close they are, I'm gonna try playing them again sometime and then fraps all the similarities and make a splitscreen comparison. :D

Oh yeah those force powers are so similar, and the Combine troops using tactics instead of just charging at you like a Storm Trooper, or when Freeman uses the lightsaber on the...oh wait they are nothing alike :rolleyes:

You mean except for L4D2, Portal 2, and Counter Strike Source. Oh, and continually adding indie developers and getting new accounts for Steam so more PC users could get more games. Oh and being more involved with expanding PC gaming and getting more word about and finding more ways to get more gamers onto the PC platform...you mean besides that right? And all by a company 20 times smaller than other gaming companies...

While they are certainly raking in the dough, they have been pretty proactive in the gaming market. Just not so much with Half Life.

Counter Strike is pre-Orange Box.

All of their FPS games after Orange Box are tied to consoles.
None of those games are on the level of HL. Sorry.

Lots of crying in here.

Valve has their own internal timeline or to do list. A few years ago gabe made mentions of whats in the works. To this date they have followed that to a T. Counter Strike: Global Offensive marks the end of that timeline as well. What else do they have to work on once CSGO and Dota2 is released? Portal is still in DLC mode so portal 3 is ways away. Maybe another left for dead. The main thing is Half Life. I doubt a new engine will be made but instead they will revamp the already modular and thriving Source engine. Id be willing to bet as CSGO and DOTA2 mature in the betas that they will start on the next Half Life. Dont expect to hear anything of it this year either. This is the year of CSGO and DOTA2. I know valve said themselves that CSGO originated from them playing CSS and then they toyed with porting CSS to XBLA which spiraled into a while new game. Its been in development for like 2 years before last august when nobody had a clue about it.

Counter strike and about half of the other games that were released pre orange box were ported to orange box.

I think people forgot how long it took them to get TF2 out. I don't expect anything new soon.

Or how long Diablo 3 has taken, or Starcraft II. Both 10+ years.

I think HL3 will happen about the same time *TF3* does. And TF2 still hasn't plenty of life left in it. Valve will eventually get around to a HL3, but DOTA2 and CS:GO are much larger (and more important) blips on their radar right now.

I love HL2 as much as the Steam group in question. But it's not going to kill me if it's 5-10 years away.

Sorry, I mean Counter Strike Global Offensive. Whatever the new CS is being called these days.

Oh yeah those force powers are so similar, and the Combine troops using tactics instead of just charging at you like a Storm Trooper, or when Freeman uses the lightsaber on the...oh wait they are nothing alike :rolleyes:

Here's a snip copy/paste from an old post I made earlier...

You got Jan Ors in Outcast and Alex Vance in HL2, they look alike, both playing the same cinematic role, terminal hacking computer chicks making funny comments. Oh, and both names are Male names in Europe, female names in the US.

You got the puzzle solving, flying electronic devices, that even look alike also, etc. etc :p

/edit
Oh, and the annoying headcrab like creatures in the crystal mines I just bumped into :p not to mention the "replenishment" stations, sooo HL2, or rather, vice versa :rolleyes:

/edit2
Oh, and we got Reborns (zombies), oh, and we get to go through a prison :D

/edit3
Yehaaa, ventilation shaft fan breaking for the win :D

...then I continued playing and found many more similarities, like the replenishment stations stops at 75% in both games, the viewable monitors that can be switched, showing the same thing, a headmunching creep chewing on some guys head, releasing prisoners, that say "we'll follow you", and many more things.

Guess I'll have to make that splitscreen comparison, you'll be surprised.

"Hey were gonna do this episodic thing cuz we care about the gamers and want to get content to them sooner and..."

Things change. I get it. FFS at least have the balls to come out and say things didn't work out as planned. People don't need it next year, they just need to know WTF is going on.

Never mind, just continue to ignore the game that put your company on the map and disrespect your fan base.

"Hey were gonna do this episodic thing cuz we care about the gamers and want to get content to them sooner and..."

Things change. I get it. FFS at least have the balls to come out and say things didn't work out as planned. People don't need it next year, they just need to know WTF is going on.

Never mind, just continue to ignore the game that put your company on the map and disrespect your fan base.

/thread

I don't think I'm owed anything or entitled to anything.
Having said that, I wish they'd come out and say what's going on.
HL2 is my favorite game ever - and I'd love to know what its future holds.

Ever find a really great, quality product whose creator then sold to another party who produced something similar, but oh so much less, quality wise? Don't know what has gone on at Valve, but the quality of the steam service is dropping (and not essential to a single player experience anyway) even as the amount of product rises. Realistically, Valve probably cannot make enough from the project. They would make something no doubt, just not enough. And loyalty to fans? Ha! That was yesterday in America, if ever.

Joined group, and invited friends. I don't care if it is a viral marketing attempt by Valve, I want to crowbar more headcrabs dammit! :mad:

Ever find a really great, quality product whose creator then sold to another party who produced something similar, but oh so much less, quality wise? Don't know what has gone on at Valve, but the quality of the steam service is dropping (and not essential to a single player experience anyway) even as the amount of product rises. Realistically, Valve probably cannot make enough from the project. They would make something no doubt, just not enough. And loyalty to fans? Ha! That was yesterday in America, if ever.
Nice troll, 2/10 at least.
Steam has only gotten better, from what it used to be to now is night and day. The amount of money they have from Steam itself is enough to take any risk on a new IP not to mention the continuation of Half-Life which straight up guarantees profit. People need to stop getting their panties in a bunch. Valve answers to no one unlike almost every other company because they literally have no one to answer too. No board of investors bugging them, nothing. When they are ready to push out a new title then so be it.

Valve announced a while back that they will cease episode based games and focus more on the free DLC and constant update based instead.

Sorry,but four years without so much as screenshot to prove anything is being done on the game is an insult. Valve is no longer a premier game publisher,like iD they're trying to get by on past reputation. They haven't done anything since Episode 2 that interested me in the slightest. I gave up waiting for the damn thing long ago.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Valve is NOT a game producing company anymore. They are a content delivery company...anything to get the easiest buck rolling in.

For the record...Half Life (original) was the best game they ever produced.

Sorry,but four years without so much as screenshot to prove anything is being done on the game is an insult. Valve is no longer a premier game publisher,like iD they're trying to get by on past reputation. They haven't done anything since Episode 2 that interested me in the slightest. I gave up waiting for the damn thing long ago.

Big fucking deal. HL was released in 1997 and not a word of a sequel until E3 2003. So were you also insulted during that time frame or is this just more entitlement drivel we have become so accustomed to in the last decade?

if someone tells you they are going to do something, it's not entitlement to expect them to do it, or at least want to know why they didn't.

Big fucking deal. HL was released in 1997 and not a word of a sequel until E3 2003. So were you also insulted during that time frame or is this just more entitlement drivel we have become so accustomed to in the last decade?

Totally different situation,and you damn well know it. The original game stood on it's own,no sequel was needed to complete the story. It was Valve's decision to go the episodic route,not ours. Once they committed to it,and ended Episode 2 with a cliffhanger,gamers had every right to expect the last episode,and in a reasonable time. Well,we've been hanging from that cliff for four damn years,with not so much as a lifeline from them to ease the strain. Half Life built Valve,it's the game that put them on the map,and it was gamers who bought the game who made that happen. Yet Valve seems totally unconcerned whether their flagship franchise sinks or not. It's the total lack of communication that has people upset,four years and not so much as a word? It's not "entitlement" to expect Valve to live up to the commitment they chose to make. Steam seems to be the only thing they're concerned with,as the quality,or rather the lack of quality,of their games since Episode 2,shows.

Back