42" OLED MASTER THREAD

I dare say anything OLED is bad for work. If you're like me with multiple static items on screen all day, 5 days a week. I don't see how you won't get burn in using an OLED screen. They are great for multimedia and gaming. Office work? hell no.

Someone over on the CX thread has clocked in over 10,000 hours with zero burn using his as a work display, but I do suppose it's only a matter of time, probably another year or so and he'll start getting burn in. Still pretty impressive nonetheless because if you do the math that's 14 hours of use every single day for 2 years straight.

Here is the post: https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-48cx.1991077/post-1045335082

Here's my setup
307048829_825229048506155_2148090855923961343_n.jpg

306046703_1479377742509286_9063397378271934412_n.jpg

Hopefully you guys disabling the static image dimming bought the Geek Squad warranty.

Honestly, I'm a developer but I am constantly switching the windows around and I'm using some basic preventive mesures like having a black wallpaper, hiding the task bar , closing the TV as soon as I leave the room etc. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not too worried. Chances are that when burn in occurs, I will be HAPPY to replace the TV ;)

They are rendered, they are rendered in engine it looks like. BF2042 and Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians of the Galaxy has to be one of the most impressive HDR gaming experiences I have witnessed.

It is! I initialled played the PS5 version at 30 fps and it was such a revelation to play it maxed out at 90fps on the PC. And it's hilarious.

I dare say anything OLED is bad for work. If you're like me with multiple static items on screen all day, 5 days a week. I don't see how you won't get burn in using an OLED screen. They are great for multimedia and gaming. Office work? hell no.
Yah, I want to get one, but 50% of my work is emails and spreadsheets and the other half is video editing in Adobe; I feel like no matter how diligent I am, I'm going to get lazy at some point. Though I imagine i'd run everything as low brightness as I could? I tell myself I'd play more games with this monitor but maybe I'm just trying to give myself an excuse to buy it lol.

Yah, I want to get one, but 50% of my work is emails and spreadsheets and the other half is video editing in Adobe; I feel like no matter how diligent I am, I'm going to get lazy at some point. Though I imagine i'd run everything as low brightness as I could? I tell myself I'd play more games with this monitor but maybe I'm just trying to give myself an excuse to buy it lol.

Same but these look so good I am going to give it a try.

I wouldn't use an OLED if you do a lot of spreadsheets. For editing videos and photos I would. I use mine for software development and gaming and it works great for that. I run everything in dark mode, and I have secondary LCD displays I use a long side it. So if there is anything static like documentation or something I just throw it over on another screen.

Reactions: noko
like this
Yeah, that's really what's holding me back. I'm probably going to rebuild my desk to allow for a 32" IPS that can move in front of the OLED...

These displays are disposable to me. I don't care if I have to replace it 2 years from now because that's well worth it in exchange for the image quality it provides.

These are not for the keep your Dell IPS foe 8 years crowd.

I used the LG CX 48" as my main monitor for work and personal use for 2 years. 99% remote work so it got used ~8h on weekdays plus personal use on top of that. ASBL disabled because it's annoying as hell for desktop use. I also calibrated it to 120 nits which is what I would use on any monitor. Dark modes where available, taskbar/dock/topbar auto-hide on.

That same monitor is now my living room TV and there is zero burn in on it.

I'm a programmer so my usual workflow involves having several virtual desktops if I am using this display alone. Virtual desktops something like this:
  1. Communications stuff. Slack, Teams, email.
  2. Coding stuff. Usually Visual Studio Code.
  3. Web browser or two.
  4. Miscellaneous stuff like terminals, database tools etc.
Just switching between virtual desktops means there's enough movement on the screen that nothing has burned in. Now I probably would not get it if your work involves looking at a white bright Excel sheets all day long. I also would not get it if you are not ready that burn in is going to happen at some point maybe 3-5 years along the way. If you are looking for a 10+ year display then just stick with LCD.

Generally people make a too big deal about burn in as if it will happen if you leave static content on for 15 minutes. They said the same about plasma TVs yet the 8 years old Panasonic ST50 in my parents' living room is still going strong with zero issues. It doesn't help that people take channels like LTT as gospel for OLED burn in just because he got it by not doing any mitigation and probably running at high brightness in a brightly lit office environment.

I would happily buy another OLED, I'm just waiting for them to get a bit better (higher brightness for example). I could see myself putting a 42" curved model on my desk.

I've been in this game since 2014/2015 when 4K TVs were finally and consistently able to render 4:4:4 for perfect text quality. Most of the major players (LG, Samsung, Sony, heck even TCL and those other cheap brands) have been able to do this, so the C2/Asus are not special in that regard. Not sure about 1080p as I always used monitors prior to getting my Samsung 4K TV in 2015 that did 4:4:4. There was a huge thread on them because to have a 4K TV that could do 4:4:4 @ 60Hz with good input lag was a big deal at the time.
as long as the Asus is 4:4:4, I'm happy. See, some of you, in another thread that I read here at [H] may be 5 yr. ago, I don't remember when, was complaining his monitor does not have 4:4:4, so he shows a photo of the blur text on his LCD.

====================

has anyone play a blu-ray movie w/ good human skin tone and compare that to your own LCD side by side?

No kidding. But these 2 monitor the LG C2 and the Asus, is not really a monitor. It's more than a TV panel. As no real monitor c/w a remote. Remote usually associated w/ TV only. and w/ TV, it's usually NOT 4:4:4. So I think we need to be sure that anyone who owns this monitor can read the text on a wordprocessor w/o any ghost image
It is absolutely a TV panel. This was never in any question. It's just that TV vs desktop display panels are no longer two totally different things. 4:4:4 color hasn't been an issue for several years. Initially the LG CX has issues showing 4:4:4 but LG has long since fixed the problem.

4:4:4 vs 4:2:0 mainly has an effect on red and blue text. It can be hard to spot the difference otherwise which is why you are fine watching e.g BluRay movies which are 4:2:0 usually.

It's the pixel structure vs subpixel smoothing that causes any issues in text rendering. Neither Samsung QD-OLED or LG WRGB are ideal for this if you are running Windows. Windows doesn't handle grayscale font smoothing correctly (not sure if this is improved in Win11 but 10 is a mess), causing issues like some fonts losing smoothing altogether. So on LG WRGB OLEDs the best option to my eyes was using RGB font smoothing and then using Better Cleartype Tuner to adjust the contrast value. This combined with a bit of DPI scaling fixes the issues well IMO.

MacOS works better because its font rendering is different so subpixel issues don't come into play. It's generally built for higher PPI displays than these large 4K displays so the results are not ideal but it's not offensive at least.

I hope Microsoft starts supporting better font smoothing options to account for OLED pixel structures in the future.

you paid this kind of $ for a screen and PC and you can only afford a $2 "6 in 2" power plug? Are you serious? Shouldn't you at least get a APC surge station? Over here, I use APC Smart UPS for my LCD and PC
I've never used a UPS for a PC at home in my life. I'll stick with my $20 surge protector.

you paid this kind of $ for a screen and PC and you can only afford a $2 "6 in 2" power plug? Are you serious? Shouldn't you at least get a APC surge station? Over here, I use APC Smart UPS for my LCD and PC

the surge protector is glued under the desk.

Last edited:
as long as the Asus is 4:4:4, I'm happy. See, some of you, in another thread that I read here at [H] may be 5 yr. ago, I don't remember when, was complaining his monitor does not have 4:4:4, so he shows a photo of the blur text on his LCD.

====================

has anyone play a blu-ray movie w/ good human skin tone and compare that to your own LCD side by side?
The Asus can do Full RGB with no Chroma at 138hz with HDMI 2.1

For PbP there is no option to select between horizontal vs vertical split so I assume it's just 2x 1920x2160.

Can anyone confirm if the Asus PG42UQ actually presents to (or accepts from) devices a resolution of 1920x2160 in PBP mode so it can be true PBP and not scaled down? The linked manual is useless for this detail.

This review as close as I can find someone demonstrating the feature with two side by side 16:9 scaled down images (each link is timestamped): and this showing the OSD option

Would also be interested in what LG C2 Multiview shows.

Having used this PBP feature on a Dell U4320Q it's something that is very high on my priority list.

For those that have come from one of the UW 38's, what's your experience been like? I WFH a lot so a bit unsure (IT, so RDP sessions, spreadsheets, Teams etc)

I did do a 43 at one stage but found it a bit big. The 38 is a perfect size for me, but have a slightly better desk setup now so thought I could give it another go.

For those that have come from one of the UW 38's, what's your experience been like? I WFH a lot so a bit unsure (IT, so RDP sessions, spreadsheets, Teams etc)
Had a 38GL950G with 17k hours of use, both work and play. It is a perfect sized monitor, but the 42's can be perfect also if you set a little further back from them. The 42UQ is my first Oled, so I'm not keeping it on as much as I did with the 38. It did take a few days to get re-adjusted to a 16:9 format with no curve. Most of my work related stuff now goes on a secondary monitor.

I was able to order 2 from the asus store this morning. I’m now really regretting canceling my first order on Wednesday because I thought they were gonna allow me 3 at once…

My PG42UQ arrived a bit earlier today. Will post impressions later tonight.
I received my PG42UQ yesterday. I need more time with it, but so far I am happy. I have a PG32UQX currently as a point of comparison. The color reproduction and brightness are much higher on the PG32uqx, but the motion clarity, contrast and gaming immersion are a big step up on the PG42. I need to spend more time with the display, but it really is impressive.

I received my PG42UQ yesterday. I need more time with it, but so far I am happy. I have a PG32UQX currently as a point of comparison. The color reproduction and brightness are much higher on the PG32uqx, but the motion clarity, contrast and gaming immersion are a big step up on the PG42. I need to spend more time with the display, but it really is impressive.
I just quickly set mine up to make sure it works before I head out but the input signal change time is infuriating me already. Alt tab out of a game HDR game, 5 seconds of black screen, etc. I've just been so spoiled by the C2 doing it instantly that every lost second feels like an eternity and is causing frustration.

Mine came with V23 firmware and HDR does not at all look right (just seems super red). Gonna update to the latest when I get back to see if it solves the problem. Also got no signal when first trying 138hz/12bit over HDMI but rebooting the monitor and PC and trying again has it working.

Screenshot 2022-09-17 153550.png

I noticed, that when running the display in constant HDR mode and letting Windows manage the sRGB gamut, the image quality gets improved. I haven't measured the exact color values yet, but checked with the online Lagom test - the black level became so much better, and also the white level. The shadow details now really stand out in sRGB games. Also by eye - the colors are correct as well. Can't say that anything is saturated or washed out. Gamma is definitely lower, probably exactly the way it should be.

But most importantly I noticed significantly less input lag with HDR enabled. I think that when the LG C2 is run in sRGB mode, it introduces processing lag in order to emulate the color space, and when you move this processing on to the Windows engine, the display is relieved from this duty and shows less input lag, displaying image natively, without processing. It also seems to introduce less eyestrain... All in all it definitely feels like this is the correct way to use the LG C2.
This OLED gets better and better with time, like a fine wine. 😀

I just quickly set mine up to make sure it works before I head out but the input signal change time is infuriating me already. Alt tab out of a game HDR game, 5 seconds of black screen, etc. I've just been so spoiled by the C2 doing it instantly that every lost second feels like an eternity and is causing frustration.

Mine came with V23 firmware and HDR does not at all look right (just seems super red). Gonna update to the latest when I get back to see if it solves the problem. Also got no signal when first trying 138hz/12bit over HDMI but rebooting the monitor and PC and trying again has it working.

View attachment 511175
Interesting. I would def update to the latest available FW. I did notice that at 138hz there was a motion flicker when panning the camera slowly in games. It went away after setting back to 120hz.

Had a 38GL950G with 17k hours of use, both work and play. It is a perfect sized monitor, but the 42's can be perfect also if you set a little further back from them. The 42UQ is my first Oled, so I'm not keeping it on as much as I did with the 38. It did take a few days to get re-adjusted to a 16:9 format with no curve. Most of my work related stuff now goes on a secondary monitor.
Yeah - that's pretty much the main reason that's putting me off this. The 38's are a perfect size and very good for my productivity.

Putting work stuff on another monitor wont really work for me, sadly.

Back