42" OLED MASTER THREAD

That’s not the situation here in the UK. The Asus is £1399 and the C2 easily had for £950 and dropping. We are facing a large premium and that is a big consideration for me, though I prefer the Asus if all other things were equal.

Just wait it out I'm sure Asus will eventually price drop. The gigabyte 48 OLED dropped to around 700 at one point even though it retailed for 1500 brand new.

Just wait it out I'm sure Asus will eventually price drop. The gigabyte 48 OLED dropped to around 700 at one point even though it retailed for 1500 brand new.
Must admit we here in the UK usually do not see the price of monitors drop in the same way as TVs. The price I paid earlier this year for my Dell U4919DW was the same as when it was released four years ago. The C2 started at £1400 earlier this year, is now £950 or better, probably £800 for BF and 7 something by end of life next summer maybe.

I guess impulse control is indeed a useful trait.

They did a review on it somewhere else. It's in chinese thou. Good video.
They had to push color temp to 10,000k to get it brighter.

Id be nice to see what this heatsink looks like. is it more of a heatsink, or a film, and how hard it can be pushed before brightness controls kick in, and if they can be disabled like on the LG and Samsung.

so from that other review at youtube, (the chinese guy who says the 5 benefit of Asus) does the idea of the heatsink works? and that we don't need to worry about ABL?

I wouldn't put the 48" on a desk at all. I have a 80 cm deep desk and tried the CX 48" mounted on a monitor arm (using a VESA 100x100 to 300x300 adapter plate). It didn't work that well so I bought a floor stand that puts it at 1m viewing distance. That worked well for me. The 42" might be borderline acceptable on a monitor arm with a deep desk.

The stands on these are also complete crap with zero adjustments. The 42" model stand at least doesn't poke out too far out the back.

It also makes no sense to me to try to save 100 quid and deal with the 48" model's larger size. I didn't mind it, but would have definitely preferred a smaller one. Just get the 42".

I'm using Viewsonic 43.5", I use this monitor for about 1 to 2 yr., I am now looking at the actual dimension of the 48". It's only 3 cm extra from my existing Viewsonic, on both side for me, as far as the width of the monitor is concerned. It's nothing. For the height, in total, it's only 3 cm extra from my existing.

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/monitors/above-34-inches/rog-swift-oled-pg48uq-model/spec/

I'm using Viewsonic 43.5", I use this monitor for about 1 to 2 yr., I am now looking at the actual dimension of the 48". It's only 3 cm extra from my existing Viewsonic, on both side for me, as far as the width of the monitor is concerned. It's nothing. For the height, in total, it's only 3 cm extra from my existing.

https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/monitors/above-34-inches/rog-swift-oled-pg48uq-model/spec/
You can compare visually and in numbers here: http://displaywars.com/43,5-inch-16x9-vs-48-inch-16x9

It might not seem like a whole lot but these things add up and you also have to remember that it has an effect on how comfortable it is as just having to turn your head a bit more might be enough of a difference. The WRGB OLEDs generally work best with more viewing distance and a bit of DPI scaling to mitigate any text rendering issues.

For desktop use I'd just go with the smaller 42". The extra 100 quid is nothing in the long term so it's not a good place to save money.

so from that other review at youtube, (the chinese guy who says the 5 benefit of Asus) does the idea of the heatsink works? and that we don't need to worry about ABL?
Vince from HDTV test?
from a different review review where they compared the Sony A95K and the S95B they compared the ABL. The Samsung has a thin film, but it's nothing compared to the heatsink on the A95K. The Sony was very resistance to the ABL like a boss.

@ 1min 24sec

On the last video he talks about the Asus, but it was never properly talked about how they are tackling the cooling solution. Is the heatsink an aggressive beast like what the Sony has, or is it more like the unadvertised film used on the Samsung. Is it just there to allow for a higher peak brightness under 40% window only or will it be used to help with ABL?

I think until we see more reviews, the actual benefits might be more speculative unless we know they put something beefy in there, and that the software has been adjusted not to kick in ABL as aggressively. According to the advertisement material it's supposed to improve cooling by 8% compared to other ROG monitors with no heatsink under an asterisk.
https://rog.asus.com/me-en/monitors/above-34-inches/rog-swift-oled-pg42uq-model/

guru3d has a new review up.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-swift-pg42uq-138-hz-oled-monitor-review,1.html

New video up from someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvinh
like this
Odd that the Guru review states

"Final pricing just arrived; the 42-inch model can be purchased for $1,299, the 48-inch model is likely to cost around $1,499."

So is Newegg overcharging for it?

Odd that the Guru review states

"Final pricing just arrived; the 42-inch model can be purchased for $1,299, the 48-inch model is likely to cost around $1,499."

So is Newegg overcharging for it?
tom's hardware mentions that they calculated the price based on the Taiwan pricing, and that they don't formally know the US pricing.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-PG42UQ-PG48UQ-oled-gaming-monitors
Once that thing leaves to other markets the pricing may vary depending on item, trade agreements between countries, and taxes. It's the reason why sometimes some things cost more in EU, but that money goes towards other good things.

tom's hardware mentions that they calculated the price based on the Taiwan pricing, and that they don't formally know the US pricing.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-PG42UQ-PG48UQ-oled-gaming-monitors
Once that thing leaves to other markets the pricing may vary depending on item, trade agreements between countries, and taxes. It's the reason why sometimes some things cost more in EU, but that money goes towards other good things.
Okay so just speculation on Tom and Guru's part. Maybe Newegg does have the real price up but we'll just have to wait and see.

You can compare visually and in numbers here: http://displaywars.com/43,5-inch-16x9-vs-48-inch-16x9

It might not seem like a whole lot but these things add up and you also have to remember that it has an effect on how comfortable it is as just having to turn your head a bit more might be enough of a difference. The WRGB OLEDs generally work best with more viewing distance and a bit of DPI scaling to mitigate any text rendering issues.

For desktop use I'd just go with the smaller 42". The extra 100 quid is nothing in the long term so it's not a good place to save money.
their no. is higher compares to what I actually measure w/ a ruler. For eg., they said it's a 6 cm high difference. I measure it w/ my ruler, only 3 cm difference

The thermal readings are impressive. Hopefully we can push the brightness up a bit.

untitled-1.jpg

Those thermal images are from the rear of the displays. Wouldn't it be a bit more relevant from the front.

Okay so just speculation on Tom and Guru's part. Maybe Newegg does have the real price up but we'll just have to wait and see.
Newegg should be avoid at all cost. I just run into yet another issue w/ them. Once the 30 days is up, they block you from contacting them.

Slighty off topic here but LG has announced their very first 240Hz OLED panel that's going to be used in the new Corsair bendable monitor. Maybe we'll see a 240Hz version of monitors using the 42" 4K panel like this Asus sometime in the future? One can dream right?

Yeah I hope so do but I don't expect anything until 2024 at the earliest.

Slighty off topic here but LG has announced their very first 240Hz OLED panel that's going to be used in the new Corsair bendable monitor. Maybe we'll see a 240Hz version of monitors using the 42" 4K panel like this Asus sometime in the future? One can dream right?

For bendable OLED, how easy is it to damage the inside by bendable it? it's here,

Also is there a real reason for bendable? or is it just a gimmick because it follows the curvature of your eyes? like is it just BS or it really is better?

regardless, I don't buy from Corsair under any circumstance

Last edited:
For bendable OLED, how easy is it to damage the inside by bendable it? it's here,

Also is there a real reason for bendable? or is it just a gimmick because it follows the curvature of your eyes? like is it just BS or it really is better?

It's both a gimmick and a useful feature. It doesn't really need to be adjustable but OLED makes that possible as the panel itself can be flexible to the point of just putting it into a roll.

When screen size gets larger than about 32" 16:9, curve becomes useful by bringing the sides closer to your eyes. Otherwise you have to put more distance between the display and your eyes as it gets awkward to look at the edges. VA panel viewing angles also benefit from curve but OLED has excellent viewing angles no matter what so curve is more about viewing comfort than performance.

As an example, I tried playing games in 3840x1600 on my LG CX 48". It worked fine, but I really missed having a curve at that aspect ratio as it would make the sides nicer to look at.

What's the issue with Corsair that you don't buy from them? LG is making their own version of this btw, although it's not bendable but instead it's permanently fixed to an 800R curve.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-ultragear-45gr95qe-with-45-curved-oled-panel-and-240hz-refresh-rate

What's the issue with Corsair that you don't buy from them? LG is making their own version of this btw, although it's not bendable but instead it's permanently fixed to an 800R curve.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-ultragear-45gr95qe-with-45-curved-oled-panel-and-240hz-refresh-rate
their SSD totally fail during boot up, BIOS can't see it. And the way they fix it is NOT to answer any calls, not to response the emails, and their forum flood w/ complaints. poor management

TFTcentral already did a in depth review as did the Chinese reviewer. Not really sure what else you're looking for.

Jeez November? Might as well wait for a BF sale on the C2 then. By then whatever advantages the PG42UQ has wont be worth its price tag vs the C2

TFTcentral already did a in depth review as did the Chinese reviewer. Not really sure what else you're looking for.
I’m yet to see the TFT in depth review and didn’t have a free afternoon available to learn Mandarin.

Im looking forward to the HDTV review.

I’m yet to see the TFT in depth review and didn’t have a free afternoon available to learn Mandarin.

Im looking forward to the HDTV review.

TFTC's review is currently in early access but a big chunk of it has already been shared here.

TFTC's review is currently in early access but a big chunk of it has already been shared here.
The Chinese reviews subtitles are also pretty accurate but besides that it's all charts/measurements and demonstrations. No clue what someone needs mandarin for.

At this point I don't really care for HDTVtest when it comes to gaming related displays. The guy is out of touch and perpetuates nonsense like VRR flicker being exclusive to OLED. It only tool him 3 years to discover that it's inherent and occurs on LCDs too. Don't get me started on his infatuation with Dirt 5 as his primary means of testing HDR games.

Is the ABL bothering anyone? When my ADHD kicks in and I am rapidly clicking between tabs I notice it.

Back