42" OLED MASTER THREAD

TFT Central have their news piece up covering all the official info on the Asus 42” OLED PG42UQ as well as first impressions and hands on from the Uk launch event last week

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/asus-...d-full-details-and-hands-on-first-impressions
Seems like ASUS have tried to think of everything. The uniform brightness setting seems like a good way to avoid ABL in desktop use.

Lack of BFI is a bummer but I guess that's on LG not wanting to support it anymore for reasons unknown. I found the 120 Hz BFI on my CX 48" worked well enough for SDR content to be a useful extra option.

I do wish instead of 1x DP, 2x HDMI 2.1 and 2x HDMI 2.0 ports they had 2x DP and 2x HDMI 2.1. It seems like nothing comes with multiple DP ports anymore and that really sucks when the only things that are HDMI 2.1 capable are latest gen GPUs (I've got a 2080 Ti) and latest gen consoles.

No Dolby Vision or HLG but I'm not sure if this even matters at all for PC gaming. I can't remember the last time I used either one on PC.

HLG may be useful if you have a camera that takes photos or records video in HDR using HLG.
Its a fairly common method.

Last edited:

He says the AW3423DW is the best #1 HDR PC gaming monitor, and says the LG C2 42" is right there too. Pretty much saying both of these are the only new monitors to consider right now.

He says the AW3423DW is the best #1 HDR PC gaming monitor, and says the LG C2 42" is right there too. Pretty much saying both of these are the only new monitors to consider right now.

I would say the Neo G7 is a viable option if you must have 4k at 32 inches, as long as you can stomach the curve that is. At least it's better than the grossly overpriced Asus PG32UQX with it's 2008 response times and blooming galore.

PG42UQ review:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ft4y1G7tP

4K/138hz/12bit via HDMI.

Achieves 968nits from 1-10% window but only at 10000k color temp. At D65 its roughly 50nits brighter than a C2 from 1-25% window range (750 10% and 390 25%). Full field is typical 130ish nits.

Otherwise as expected. Actually uses LG's own Tcon.

PG42UQ review:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ft4y1G7tP

4K/138hz/12bit via HDMI.

Achieves 968nits from 1-10% window but only at 10000k color temp. At D65 its roughly 50nits brighter than a C2 from 1-25% window range (750 10% and 390 25%). Full field is typical 130ish nits.

Otherwise as expected. Actually uses LG's own Tcon.

Sounds about right. I don't expect anyone to buy this over an LG C2 because of the extra performance (Seriously who can tell the difference between 120Hz and 138Hz, and 700 nits vs 750 nits?), but rather because of it's monitor focused features. Given that the two are currently priced the same I say you can't go wrong with either one, just depends if you want something that will double duty as a TV or something that's better at being a full blown monitor. But the thing is that the C2 will start seeing some price drops either at the end of this year or early next year so the price difference then will make justifying the Asus harder.

I think the 138hz is a nice bump. From 120 to 175 on the AW3423DW felt massive because OLED pixel response where as on a LCD the slow panels make it much harder to distinguish.

But yeah as a decent all arounder its looks like Asus got it right their first go unlike Gigabyte. Even has 2x12w speakers and a separate subwoofer.

C2 will probably dip to $999 by the holidays. I'd pay a $100-150 premium for the native sleep/wake with PC alone as well as the better factory calibration because the C2 in game Optimizer is atrocious and using the ISF presets add noticeable mouse felt input lag.

Asus 42 inch - Does anyone know how the remote works on this thing. Is it IR or RF?

Can you select a discrete source or do you have to keep on pressing the source button and toggle around each and every source until you get to where you want.

I’m thinking in terms of programming a Harmony remote in conjunction with my USB hub for easy one press switching.

Last edited:
Asus 42 inch - Does anyone know how the remote works on this thing. Is it IR or RF?

Can you select a discrete source or do you have to keep on pressing the source button and toggle around each and every source until you get to where you want.

I’m thinking in terms of programming a Harmony remote in conjunction with my USB hub for easy one press switching.
I'm pretty positive it's IR which is why it has such a huge chin. Also I think you can shortcut sources on the remote.

Honestly - 138hz 10bit is worth the upgrade over the LG C2 42. Had I more moneys, I'd do that without hesitation. Also would buy a 3090ti.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I feel like the cooling system and increased brightness is also worth it over the LG

I feel like the cooling system and increased brightness is also worth it over the LG
That brightness increase will also be more tangible in real content.

Rtings monitor test bench for last years C1:

10% window - 790nits
Real Scene - 714nits

Rtings monitor test bench for 42" C2:

10% window - 699nits
Real Scene - 575nits

This Asus will hopefully be able to deliver closer to its 10% test slide number in real content because of the better thermal management but we'll see.

I'm bummed that BFI has been confirmed a no go for this display but hey nothing is stopping me from getting this and just keeping my CX as a BFI only gaming display :D (It's also a HUGE P.I.T.A. to switch BFI on and off on the CX anyway).

Anybody have good recommendations for a C2 compatible VESA desk stand (not the desk-edge clamping kind nor ones that need to be physically bolted through the desk!) that can do pitch tilt, height adjustment, and rotation... preferably to portrait?

Anybody have good recommendations for a C2 compatible VESA desk stand (not the desk-edge clamping kind nor ones that need to be physically bolted through the desk!) that can do pitch tilt, height adjustment, and rotation... preferably to portrait?
What kind are you looking for, exactly? You just negated almost everything out there, unless you want a floor stand.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Presuming it wouldn't become unbalanced due to the size of the C2 (yes I know it says up to 43 inches), that stand, with extension arms to fit the VESA mount, would likely be exactly what I'm after but for the fact that it is not freely height adjustable.

Edit to add for anybody else who might be considering a mount like this that portrait rotation only works for monitors with dead center VESA mounts and even weight distribution.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Presuming it wouldn't become unbalanced due to the size of the C2 (yes I know it says up to 43 inches), that stand, with extension arms to fit the VESA mount, would likely be exactly what I'm after but for the fact that it is not freely height adjustable.

Edit to add for anybody else who might be considering a mount like this that portrait rotation only works for monitors with dead center VESA mounts and even weight distribution.
I have 40Lbs mounted to it with the C2 at the top and it's fine.

I thought you intended to keep it in portrait permanently. For your needs I dunno if a stand exists.

The main points of attraction for me are the heatsink and the monitor features. The heatsink is a bit nebulous though because its a bit of an unknown as to how much it truly benefits. Does it assist in panel longevity? That would be my real concern because as a true desktop pc monitor this thing is likely going to see a lot of use as a true multifunctional display device.

In terms of strikes against, I really hate the visual look, that chin really looks bad. And the matte screen... thats a hard call. Not sure how enthusiastic about that i am.

I don’t know about others but if I got to one year using the same monitor it would be historic. I change mine regularly. So for me personally longevity on these things is a non issue.

I’m only interested in it being pixel perfect and an OLED PC monitor would be new ground for me. Thoroughly sick of LCD grey on my monitors and the true black and vibrant colours appeal more than the gaming features although they are welcomed too.

I don’t know about others but if I got to one year using the same monitor it would be historic. I change mine regularly. So for me personally longevity on these things is a non issue.

I’m only interested in it being pixel perfect and an OLED PC monitor would be new ground for me. Thoroughly sick of LCD grey on my monitors and the true black and vibrant colours appeal more than the gaming features although they are welcomed too.

It's good that you don't think about the longevity because OLED's do not remain pixel perfect for very long. After about a year mine has started developing dead pixels along the edges, same goes with other owners, at least when it comes to the LG CX. Dunno about the C1.

1660758751032.png

Picture of my own CX attached. Anyone who is concerned about long term burn in shouldn't be, as you will most likely be replacing your OLED due to dead pixels first lol.

Attachments

• 20220814_231038.jpg
    20220814_231038.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 0
It's good that you don't think about the longevity because OLED's do not remain pixel perfect for very long. After about a year mine has started developing dead pixels along the edges, same goes with other owners, at least when it comes to the LG CX. Dunno about the C1.

Picture of my own CX attached. Anyone who is concerned about long term burn in shouldn't be, as you will most likely be replacing your OLED due to dead pixels first lol.

So what did LG tell you when you contacted them for a warranty issue?

Must be nice swapping out expensive monitors annually.

So what did LG tell you when you contacted them for a warranty issue?

I'm out of warranty. LG only covers 1 year and I didn't bother to get an extended one from BestBuy. TBH though I can't even spot the dead pixels from my normal viewing distance, probably because they are all located at the very edge of the screen and it's not like this TV is curved or anything. I am fully aware of where the dead pixels are, but even if I stare at those spots, I can't actually see them. I have to press my face straight against the area to notice it. I'm just hoping that I don't start getting dead pixels right in the center area where they would be more easily to spot.

I had the same dead pixels on the edges with my launch day CX and was 4 months out of warranty. LG still came out and replaced the panel for free with literally 0 hassle.

They asked me to do a pixel refresh and it didn't solve it so they immediately scheduled a repair.

I don't think it's a common issue. I know someone else with a CX who bought it at the tail end just before the C1 released who doesn't have a single dead pixel.

I'm also in the camp of don't care at all about a displays longevity. Life's too short for me to be one of those wierdos who thinks a monitor is some decade commitment like a TV in the 90's. Half the fun in a new monitor is either messing with the new toy or revisiting content/games/media you enjoy to see it in a new light.

Last edited:
I'm out of warranty. LG only covers 1 year and I didn't bother to get an extended one from BestBuy. TBH though I can't even spot the dead pixels from my normal viewing distance, probably because they are all located at the very edge of the screen and it's not like this TV is curved or anything. I am fully aware of where the dead pixels are, but even if I stare at those spots, I can't actually see them. I have to press my face straight against the area to notice it. I'm just hoping that I don't start getting dead pixels right in the center area where they would be more easily to spot.

I had the same dead pixels on the edges with my launch day CX and was 4 months out of warranty. LG still came out and replaced the panel for free with literally 0 hassle.

They asked me to do a pixel refresh and it didn't solve it so they immediately scheduled a repair.

Yeah, I'd definitely contact them even if you are out of warranty. Worst case they say no and quote you a price on a panel exchange.

Yeah, I'd definitely contact them even if you are out of warranty. Worst case they say no and quote you a price on a panel exchange.

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to sell the CX that way the next person can at least get a fresh new panel right beforehand. Right now I'm not sure if I want to actually get rid of it since it's the only OLED besides the C1 that can do 120Hz BFI.

This isn't something that people who bought the CX at the very end of it's lifespan is immune to either. One of my cousins who bought a CX in May 2021 also has dead pixels and so does another one of my buddies who bought one in April 2021. I would say it is common.

Attachments

• 1660772204205.png
    1660772204205.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

I think one year is too little. I have used my LG CX for 2 years as a desktop monitor and LG C9 as a living room TV. Both still going strong. So for me an LG OLED should be at least a 3-5 year display, if not even more. My parents still use my Panasonic plasma TV that is like 8 years old. No burn in on that either like they claimed would happen back in the day.

Very very interested in this one, even though the godforsaken mate display (why, just why?!).
Same thoughts dealing with the mate display, this is not an Office monitor. At least in my case my gaming room can get pretty dark at any time. I will probably get one of these unless the 42" C2 has a good sell at under $1000 (currently at $1250 at BestBuy). Have to see more reviews on the ASUS Rog Swift PG42UQ plus they also have to become available in the US. Getting some decent options now for Monitors and TVs. I could see using the C2 as a monitor and then as a TV later while getting a better gaming monitor for the gaming PC, as in 5K OLED 120hz+.

I'm assuming since the PG42UQ is primarily geared towards gaming there is no PBP/PIP feature with this monitor? I saw no mention of it in the specs. Guess it makes sense since you won't want an OLED screen for office use.

I'm assuming since the PG42UQ is primarily geared towards gaming there is no PBP/PIP feature with this monitor? I saw no mention of it in the specs. Guess it makes sense since you won't want an OLED screen for office use.
If you have a look at the manual I posted above it does PIP and PBP from any source.

People will want the pitch black and vibrant colours of OLED for various use cases, not just gaming. Although obviously this is a gaming oriented monitor primarily.

The manual is now available. I’m hoping that you can assign the two favourite buttons to the DP and HDMI 2.1 source.

It looks like you get the same half arsed quality remote you’d see on a £40 Roku or Firestick. Not good for those that want to attach multiple devices. The LG being a TV does this bit better.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PG42UQ/ASUS_PG42UQ_English.pdf
Interestingly it says VRR is 48-120 Hz but I expect this is just a crappy copy paste in the manual and it works fine at 138 Hz too.

For PbP there is no option to select between horizontal vs vertical split so I assume it's just 2x 1920x2160.

3840x1600 is also listed as stock supported resolution so that's good.

I kind of like the remote in its minimalism. I don't particularly care for the C9/CX remote with lots of buttons that have no use and the scroll wheel that doubles as ok button is awkward.

As an overall package I don't have huge complaints about this if its price is not going to be totally out of line vs the LG C2 42".

Back