42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Yeah, I'm not sure if the BFI settings interact with the Trumotion settings (or if they act interdependently of each other), but regardless I hope the Trumotion setting gets fixed. On my LG CX the Trumotion setting only has an impact on 24fps/30fps content (making it look silky smooth) when the TV is set to 60 HZ. If I set the TV to 120 HZ, the Trumotion has absolutely zero effect on 24fps/30fps content. This is a known issue, that I know is discussed in some subreddits. Does anyone know if this has been fixed with the C1, or if not, with the C2?

I am pretty sure my C1 is set to 120hz, an 24fps content looks just fine to me :)

I'm still rocking a 3007WFP. One of my best purchases ever, even though the price seemed crazy at the time. Having 2560x1600 30" when everybody else was still on single 19" 1920x1080 monitors was a massive productivity win. It's crazy that a computer component has lasted me over 15 years. "compromise-free" marker for me.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm still using my HP LP3065 which is the sister to your Dell, same panel I'm fairly sure. Still fantastic for production, but the refresh rate hurts gaming.

The biggest thing that holds me back now is the burn in issues these new monitors have... I would settle for 120hz-240 2k-4k, good refresh, with good colors, I don't need 300+ hz. Sweet spot is probably 30-40", living with a 30 for so long I can't imagine dropping resolution and size, even if a fancy new 27" would wreck it.

You will be amazed going from the 3007WFP to 4K let alone a 42. I upgraded a long time ago to 1440P but my dual 2405’s 1600x1200 are still working. I tried the 40” 4K Samsung but could not handle 60Hz. I can’t wait for these.
Are you using these as a monitor conventionally or as a TV? I've used a 49" curved Samsung ultrawide and got used to it but I can't imagine the vertical height up close.

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a 1080Ti to a 3080Ti. Neweggs selling a bunch for not far over MSRP ($1599) and given recent events I don't see them getting cheaper in the short term so figured that was as good as I was going to get.

Once rtings and other sites confirm no major issues with the C2 I plan to upgrade my old B6 and will finally have 4k120 VRR up and running.

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a 1080Ti to a 3080Ti. Neweggs selling a bunch for not far over MSRP ($1599) and given recent events I don't see them getting cheaper in the short term so figured that was as good as I was going to get.

Once rtings and other sites confirm no major issues with the C2 I plan to upgrade my old B6 and will finally have 4k120 VRR up and running.

HDTVTest said that the 42 inch model WILL be less bright than the bigger sizes. By how much we don't know yet. Might be a dealer breaker for some if it's a lot less bright.

HDTVTest said that the 42 inch model WILL be less bright than the bigger sizes. By how much we don't know yet. Might be a dealer breaker for some if it's a lot less bright.
He also compared the 42C2 vs 65G2 side by side but didn’t notice any significant difference in whole screen brightness. I wouldn’t lose sleep over the loss of low amount of nits in a 3% window 😂.

He also compared the 42C2 vs 65G2 side by side but didn’t notice any significant difference in whole screen brightness. I wouldn’t lose sleep over the loss of low amount of nits in a 3% window 😂.

He compared it agaisnt a G2 and saw little difference? That actually sounds very disappointing for the G2. It uses a heatsink this time around so one would expect bigger brightness gains. Being the bigger sized OLED with a heatsink and not delivering much brightness increase over a small non heatsink OLED doeasn't sound great for the G series.

What kind of price are we expecting on this is the US? I’m reading a nasty price in British Pounds, surely it’s not that much here? Compared to other options?

Yeah I watched a video from LG on Youtube that said the 48 and 42 were going to be priced the same because of the yield on the panels.

LG has removed the 120Hz BFI option on the C2 series. Not sure why. Probably won't be a deal breaker for most people but still sucks to lose features.

LG has removed the 120Hz BFI option on the C2 series. Not sure why. Probably won't be a deal breaker for most people but still sucks to lose features.

What in the actual fuck. I’ll watch the video. Hopefully he means 120hz strobing for 60hz, which is an option. But knowing the way things are going… probably not.

Edit - nope. Seriously LG? Give us the damn option! Seriously if we’re informed enough to know what BFI is then surely we know it’s limitations and can make an informed choice? For fuck’s sake…

What in the actual fuck. I’ll watch the video. Hopefully he means 120hz strobing for 60hz, which is an option. But knowing the way things are going… probably not.

Edit - nope. Seriously LG? Give us the damn option! Seriously if we’re informed enough to know what BFI is then surely we know it’s limitations and can make an informed choice? For fuck’s sake…

Is it something that could be added via firmware update?

Is it gone just on the 42, or will it also affect the 48?
Man that was a bad move, BFI would have been the one thing that would have made it a big change from the alienware qoled.

Is it gone just on the 42, or will it also affect the 48?
Man that was a bad move, BFI would have been the one thing that would have made it a big change from the alienware qoled.

It's for the whole C2 lineup, his unboxing video is using a 48 inch. And it's not that it doesn't have BFI, it doesn't have it at 120Hz anymore which is stupid because 60Hz BFI is really flickery while 120Hz is great.

I pretty much never use the BFI on my CX 48" because it's so inconvenient to toggle on/off but removing the 120 Hz option sucks. To me it works fine on the CX so I don't know why they decided to remove it on the newer ones.

The ultrawide aspect ratio options are interesting. I wonder how they work in practise. Does it just change what the EDID reports?

Not really. The QD-OLED also doesn't have BFI, and the main thing people were looking forward to about the C2 was the new 42" size.
Nothing stopping them from implementing it. Seeing as they’re inherently brighter, their implementation won’t have as much negatives.

i hope 42" QD-OLED gets announced, i'm not even sure OLED is even worth it anymore. BFI looks like timing light or flickery siezure fest to me.

i hope 42" QD-OLED gets announced
There aren’t even any rumours at this time, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up, for this year anyway.

I think 2023 is the QD-OLED year, 2022 is like a test run. I mean: just look at the very very few product announcements for this year, it’s almost sad.

There aren’t even any rumours at this time, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up, for this year anyway.

I think 2023 is the QD-OLED year, 2022 is like a test run. I mean: just look at the very very few product announcements for this year, it’s almost sad.
That's because the yield on those tiny 34" panels was only 30%, not because they only wanted to do a test release. Its going to be awhile before we see large QD-OLEDs or large supplies of them.

Oh yeah that's true after glancing at the bigger models. Proportions are giving the illusion of it being thick.

Other than a panel upgrade and a smaller size offering I feel like they’ve removed features with this series. 120hz BFI would have been fantastic

Other than a panel upgrade and a smaller size offering I feel like they’ve removed features with this series. 120hz BFI would have been fantastic
BFI sounds like a recipe for eye strain in a dark room where every single second frame is off. That’s like a strobe light to some peoples eyeballs. I am sensitive to PWM issues and while I haven’t seen the implementation on OLEDs, as a computer monitor in a dark room that doesn’t sound like something I want at all.

Last edited:
BFI sounds like a recipe for eye strain in a dark room where every single second frame is off. That’s like a strobe light to some peoples eyeballs. I am sensitive to PWM issues and while I hasn’t seen the implementation on OLEDs, as a computer monitor in a dark room that doesn’t sound like something I want at all.
Uh huh… that’s why it’s an option. Don’t like it? Turn it off.

Back