42" OLED MASTER THREAD

it's a small 512GB NVMe from Intel. Back then, they are the only NVMe that support Win 7 drivers

Having said that, what I really want is a 8K, 48" OLED so I don't have to buy a 4K OLED now, and upgrade to a 8K at 48" whenever it comes out in the future

Last edited:
Should worry more about dead pixels aka organic degradation.

it's a small 512GB NVMe from Intel. Back then, they are the only NVMe that support Win 7 drivers

Having said that, what I really want is a 8K, 48" OLED so I don't have to buy a 4K OLED now, and upgrade to a 8K at 48" whenever it comes out in the future
Reminds of an old computer magazine who recommended 10mb harddisks to be completely future proof..

8k will not be a thing. 16k will.

Just so you know, the loss of performance going to 8k from 4k is around 70% for no perceptible visual improvements. And modern consoles can barely output 4k, and that's using gimmicks and reconstruction techniques from 720p, that still results in crappy and unstable framerates.

The visual difference between 4K and 8K is huge and just as significant as going from 1080p to 4K. No clue what you're on about.

8K from 40-48" is really bang on to use as monitor. The Dell 32" 8K IPS has been selling undeservedly well ever since it came out, 5000$ of 8K monopoly.

To say 8K has no perceptible improvements I think that's a bit much. But given that I can't even tell the difference between 4K and 1440p upscaled to 4K with DLSS, I'm not sure 8K is going to look leaps and bounds better.

Last edited:
The visual difference between 4K and 8K is huge and just as significant as going from 1080p to 4K. No clue what you're on about.

At least with regards to productivity ie screen real estate. For content consumption/gameing, not as much.

1080p -> 4K gives four times more screen real estate. 4K -> 8K gives sharper text.
Well, that is true if you use scaling but been a screen real estate junkie, I would much rather get a larger screen with 8K that I could run without scaling. 65" is probably the sweet spot here, the same as 4 32" 4K monitors without bezels.

For me, the sweet spot for a monitor would be a 43" 21:9 ultrawide monitor with a 7680x3290 resolution. The panel would be about 40" wide and 17" tall. Anything taller is uncomfortable for the neck, and anything wider makes the edges of the image too far on the left and right.

For me, 40" 16:9 (max 42") is the sweet spot. You can see anywhere on the screen by turning your head less than 20 degrees. 4K at 100% scale.

I tried 65" on the desktop once, but it wasn't practical:

2019-11-30 20.11.32.jpg

(65" is good from the couch 2m away, 4K at 200% scaling.)

another Philips? didn't the people at Hardforum get burn bad enough from their BDM4065UC series? including me? I know I had enough after spending over $1K and it dies just after its 4 yr. warranty. Fortunately, I have extended insurance

For me, 40" 16:9 (max 42") is the sweet spot. You can see anywhere on the screen by turning your head less than 20 degrees. 4K at 100% scale.

I tried 65" on the desktop once, but it wasn't practical:

View attachment 583269

(65" is good from the couch 2m away, 4K at 200% scaling.)
where do you sit? How can you hear anything w/ the central speaker so close to you? Why don't you make a wall stand and put the central speaker on the wall?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's really not that bad. I got to see a 48GQ900 at a friends house expecting the worst but it ended up convincing me to buy the PG42UQ when its released.
can you give more details? as the price of this is much lower than the Asus? what is wrong w/ the LG 48GQ900

The 42 is just the preferred size most of us use. If the 48 works in your space get it.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48gq900-b

No, I think I just find out the answer. It doesn't look good. AT the text Clarity page, it says

The LG 48GQ900-B has just okay text clarity. The pixel density is lower than most typical monitors, and the RWBG subpixel layout isn't supported by most programs, so there are more issues with text aliasing. Unfortunately, the matte anti-reflective coating adds a bit of haze to the screen, reducing the clarity a bit, so it's slightly worse than the LG 42 C2 OLED.

the only silver lining is, when it says slightly worse than LG C2, it suggests that LG C2 isn't great on text neither

No, I think I just find out the answer. It doesn't look good. AT the text Clarity page, it says

the only silver lining is, when it says slightly worse than LG C2, it suggests that LG C2 isn't great on text neither
It's going to have the same panels as the LG Cwhatever series. So for text clarity it will perform identical to other LG 48" displays.

In person, at about 1m viewing distance and 125% scaling it's similar to a smaller 1440p screen - ok, but not the sharpest thing out there. I wouldn't buy the 48" model at this point for desktop use, the 42" model is more practical.

RWBG layout only means fringing is visible on certain patterns, like yellow vs white (red line to the left/green line to the right). But it's hardly noticeable and in general text processing is very good due to the high resolution.
Even RGB LCDs get similar grades to the LG C2 from RTings, only 4k/27~32" get higher scores.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/42-c2-oled
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-360hz-pg27aqn
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/viewsonic/xg2431

RWBG layout only means fringing is visible on certain patterns, like yellow vs white (red line to the left/green line to the right). But it's hardly noticeable and in general text processing is very good due to the high resolution.
Even RGB LCDs get similar grades to the LG C2 from RTings, only 4k/27~32" get higher scores.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/42-c2-oled
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-360hz-pg27aqn
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/viewsonic/xg2431
That's WRGB, not RWBG :)

Honestly, I feel that Rtings ratings is all over the place and often very weird, like they say a monitor is great for office work at the same time they say text quality is really bad.

Last edited:

No, I think I just find out the answer. It doesn't look good. AT the text Clarity page, it say

Not going to lie, you could have been enjoying and OLED for months, just grab one and love what you get. There will always be something better around the corner.

Tongshadow is correct - the sub-pixel layout is RWBG. Also, there are limitations on which subpixels can be lit at the same time, so it's very different from LCDs.
It actually seems like both terms are used, where WRGB seems to be the more common one while RWBG is actually the more correct one. To make matters worse, there is even a RGBW which is a worse low cost option as far as I understand it.

The location of that center channel speaker is tragic.
The center speaker stand used to be high enough for the previous 40" monitor on that desk, so that the speaker was above the monitor. That arrangement had some scalability problems for 65". 😁 (I did a complete reorganization a couple days later and bought a normal TV table and a shorter center speaker stand under it.)

Last edited:
Pricing of the 42C2 seems to have bottomed out at $799, maybe $699 in certain cases that includes some discount hacks but for months now I haven't seen it go below $799 so if you can find it for that price I would get one before they're all gone.

Reactions: sethk
like this
Pricing of the 42C2 seems to have bottomed out at $799, maybe $699 in certain cases that includes some discount hacks but for months now I haven't seen it go below $799 so if you can find it for that price I would get one before they're all gone.
I'm rolling the dice and not getting a C2 or C3, but waiting for the next years model what apparently will be 240hz..
However, as with all monitors, I'm preparing myself for disappointment, and being forced to wait another few years for the next big upgrade.

I'm rolling the dice and not getting a C2 or C3, but waiting for the next years model what apparently will be 240hz..
However, as with all monitors, I'm preparing myself for disappointment, and being forced to wait another few years for the next big upgrade.

Not happening next year. The panel itself isn't planned until Q3 2024 meaning you eill be waiting until the C5 at least.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_082340_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_082340_Chrome.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 0

You cannot disable ASBL on the C3 confirmed, making this dead in the water for desktop use.

In the comments when I asked about disabling it via service menu, TFT Central says (paraphrased) "it is possible, it’s a little trickier to get to it. You’ll need a service remote still". I asked him if he could explain what that means.

It does suck that LG adamantly refuses to allow disabling this from the menus. While the TV seems to no longer cause ASBL to kick in during e.g dark movies, just being able to easily disable it from the menu would be nice.

In the comments when I asked about disabling it via service menu, TFT Central says (paraphrased) "it is possible, it’s a little trickier to get to it. You’ll need a service remote still". I asked him if he could explain what that means.

It does suck that LG adamantly refuses to allow disabling this from the menus. While the TV seems to no longer cause ASBL to kick in during e.g dark movies, just being able to easily disable it from the menu would be nice.

Looks like you are right, they just made it so that you have to take extra steps to get there:

Still, the C3 basically offers nothing over a C2 for PC users, and we can probably assume exactly the same with the C4.

Back