42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Does anyone know if dimming/ABSL issues were fixed in C3/C4? I hear mixed reports that a firmware update mostly fixed it. There is a "workaround" that was posted on youtube, but it doesn't look practical (puts your screen in factory mode permanently, seems like a giant PITA).

I just picked up a 42” LG C4 yesterday. First time using an OLED as a PC monitor and so far I’m very impressed. If anyone wants to do check anything let me know.

Or by using the software solution (which might only bring back the original service menu)?

As long as there is a solution then I'm fine with it. I'm keeping my options open because there are more reports of the MSI QD-OLEDs randomly turning themselves off mid game and while it has only happened to me once so far, I cannot rule out that it won't happen again sometime in the future. And unless MSI acknowledges the issue and promises to fix it, I may just have to look elsewhere for a replacement display and I'm not going to bother getting another QD-OLED because only HDR TB400 mode is useable to me and it has crappy peak brightness of just 460 nits, while the WOLED monitors are matte. That leaves me with the 42 C4 as the only potential replacement display, I'm fine with dropping down from 240Hz to 144Hz if it means getting better HDR, a glossy finish, and having a screen that doesn't decide to randomly turn off on me mid game and cost me a win.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Damn man you'd really take the 240 to 144hz hit that easy. I think it's the QD-OLED's biggest selling point.

I wonder what the state of the PG42UQ is now. It will still be brighter than the C4 (basically 2x as bright in content on 10% window vs QD-OLED) and only down 6hz while avoiding all the TV crap. Matte though.

Last edited:
Damn man you'd really take the 240 to 144hz hit that easy. I think it's the QD-OLED's biggest selling point.

I wonder what the state of the PG42UQ is now. It will still be brighter than the C4 and only down 6hz

No game I'm playing atm actually runs close to 240fps though (currently playing a lot of Helldivers 2 and that only gets 110fps with a 7800X3D and 4090 at 4K), and looking into the future I don't think that's going to change, I'm expecting to get no more than 144fps in pretty much all titles that are going to come out this year so there's not much point to 240Hz if I can't get the fps to make use of it. I did enjoy the hell out of my QD-OLED when I was briefly into The Finals and I got around 180-200fps in that game, but I've gotten kinda bored of it now. Anyways, there were people who were willing to go from a 240Hz OLED all the way down to a 120Hz VA with the Samsung G9 so by comparison, this isn't that bad of a drop lol. I'm also not going to bother switching as long as my QD-OLED behaves itself.

No game I'm playing atm actually runs close to 240fps though (currently playing a lot of Helldivers 2 and that only gets 110fps with a 7800X3D and 4090 at 4K), and looking into the future I don't think that's going to change, I'm expecting to get no more than 144fps in pretty much all titles that are going to come out this year so there's not much point to 240Hz if I can't get the fps to make use of it. I did enjoy the hell out of my QD-OLED when I was briefly into The Finals and I got around 180-200fps in that game, but I've gotten kinda bored of it now. Anyways, there were people who were willing to go from a 240Hz OLED all the way down to a 120Hz VA with the Samsung G9 so by comparison, this isn't that bad of a drop lol. I'm also not going to bother switching as long as my QD-OLED behaves itself.
Yeah I have the same thinking. Most I ever see in the games I play is 160FPS. Having 240hz really only benefits me on the desktop and some random indie title that can run on a potato.

I'm also already going back and fourth between a 240Hz OLED and a piss slow 144Hz IPS (InnoCN 32M2V) so I guess going to a 144Hz OLED isn't as jarring.

Same experience for me in the few days I had my 240Hz Alienware. Every game I played was around ~120 FPS (with ultra settings/ray tracing where possible) so I was wondering what the point of downsizing from 120Hz 48" to 240Hz 32" was. I'm guessing this will change though with the 5090.

It should be noted that a 240 hz display set to 240 hz would always be 240 hz regardless of the FPS. Might be marginal gains though.

So The Display Guy in his latest video says he disabled dimming on the C4. And that that was necessary to do. He doesn't go into details on that procedure though...

Same experience for me in the few days I had my 240Hz Alienware. Every game I played was around ~120 FPS (with ultra settings/ray tracing where possible) so I was wondering what the point of downsizing from 120Hz 48" to 240Hz 32" was. I'm guessing this will change though with the 5090.
Part of why the advanced BFI on the CX/C1 is so great.

Yeah I have the same thinking. Most I ever see in the games I play is 160FPS. Having 240hz really only benefits me on the desktop and some random indie title that can run on a potato.
To me it's just headroom. I'm currently playing Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth and on my 4090 that runs at 4K 120 fps with Nvidia DLAA. I could probably push it quite a bit further with DLSS and FG but what's the point if your display can't show those frames?

To be fair for anything but the most fast paced games, 120 fps is more than good enough and it's increasingly diminishing returns from there IMO. I just like having the headroom in the happy case that is possible without severe compromises.

Funny enough I just ran the FF14 Dawntrail benchmark. With 4K maximum settings I got 130fps, but after switching DLSS to "Always ON", my fps jumped to 210. I do plan to sink in a ton of hours into Dawntrail when it comes out so I guess the full 240Hz will finally be used again lol.

@thedisplayguy responded.

Q: "Some people are saying that dimming cannot be defeated on the C3 nor the C4 with the service menu. Or that it doesn't stick going right back to dimming when you cycle the power on these screens. Can you please confirm one way or the other?"

A: "I disabled it with a Windows program."

@thedisplayguy responded.

Q: "Some people are saying that dimming cannot be defeated on the C3 nor the C4 with the service menu. Or that it doesn't stick going right back to dimming when you cycle the power on these screens. Can you please confirm one way or the other?"

A: "I disabled it with a Windows program."
Nice, so using ColorControl.

Back