• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

40A enough for GTX280?

Brutus75

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
113
I have a 600W PSU with 40A on the 12V rails, is this enough to power one GTX 280? Rest of the system is E6750@3.8GHz, 2x2 GB, 5 HDDs, X-FI, 7 ventilators.
 
Depends on the PSU and whether or not it's a quality unit and/or overrated. Please post more info.
 
Depends on the PSU and whether or not it's a quality unit and/or overrated. Please post more info.

Definitely more info. We can’t be expected to argue and disagree with any credibility if we don’t have all the facts.:p:D;)
 
That's enough for a GTX280. 40A is more than enough really.

That's if and only if the PSU in question is a quality unit that is actually capable of providing that much current while remaining within specification. Hence why BillR and I both asked for more information about specifically which PSU the OP is referring to.
 
That's if and only if the PSU in question is a quality unit that is actually capable of providing that much current while remaining within specification. Hence why BillR and I both asked for more information about specifically which PSU the OP is referring to.

QFT.

OP, we need more info about that PSU.
 
doubtful a 600w psu will last very long with 280's in sli. my rig draws over 650w from the wall at full load and its as bare of an sli machine as you're likely to see. water cooled q6600@3.6ghz, 4gb pc3-1333, raptor 150 raid0, stock 280's, 9 fans. even with an ideal 80% efficiency; 650w from the wall means that psu is delivering 520w of dc power.

gack. try reading rather than skimming. 40 total amps on a 12v rail is more than enough, but 40 combined amp over 3 12v rails is quite iffy.
 
That's if and only if the PSU in question is a quality unit that is actually capable of providing that much current while remaining within specification. Hence why BillR and I both asked for more information about specifically which PSU the OP is referring to.

I have had my 280 on a 550W PC Power and Cooling. I don't see how a 600W PSU with 40amps across the 12v couldn't handle it.
 
I have had my 280 on a 550W PC Power and Cooling. I don't see how a 600W PSU with 40amps across the 12v couldn't handle it.

You missed the point: A quality PSU with 36 to 40A, like your PC P&C, can do it. But we don't know that the OP's PSU is a quality PSU. There are shitty PSUs out there that claim to have 40A but in no way can actually provide that 40A cleanly and reliably. We're not having an issue with the QUANTITY of power but the QUALITY of power. See why BillR, Zero82z and myself are requesting more info about the OP's PSU?
 
doubtful a 600w psu will last very long with 280's in sli. my rig draws over 650w from the wall at full load and its as bare of an sli machine as you're likely to see. water cooled q6600@3.6ghz, 4gb pc3-1333, raptor 150 raid0, stock 280's, 9 fans. even with an ideal 80% efficiency; 650w from the wall means that psu is delivering 520w of dc power.

Who said anything about SLI
 
Since you have that PSU on hand already, can you tell me what's the number underneath that U and reversed R logo? Is it "E130843"?

So far, that PSU does not look good. 38A for a 600W PSU is pretty damn anemic. If E130843 is the UL number, then it's Topower made. Many of Topower's younger PSUs were/are pretty damn crappy, barely capable of providing their rated output.
 
I can't tell you that number because of the PSU's position. I am planning to buy a new PSU, probably a BFG ES-800W. Thx for your help!
 
I don't have a GTX 280, but I do have the GTX 260 core-216 version and on the box they also say it requires a 12V with 40A. But I am using a somewhat old Seasonic S12 500 which has two 12V rails with 17A and 16A and have absolutely no problems running this. Though I'm still on an old Opteron 170 @ 2.4Ghz, 3GB PC3200, 4xHDDs.
 
on the box they also say it requires a 12V with 40A.

Because they are smart and correctly assume that a vast majority of people are stupid as rocks. They have to hedge their bets and figure out what is the biggest POS PSU on the market, and figure the minimum ratings from their.

For their case, they must assume that average shit PSU might be able to do 50%....safer would be to assume 40% or less. Therefore, if you really need a good 400W PSU, they would spec a 800W.
 
Back
Top