4080 Review

Why ? Well because they need to protect the last generation sales is why. Ya the 4080 seems to only exist to be... the exact right amount of improvement over the last gen, yet be so much worse then the flagship that the only cards that are logical to purchase are the 4090 or a last gen option. Slow clap for Nvidia clearing out their mining woopsie.

Why ? Well because they need to protect the last generation sales is why. Ya the 4080 seems to only exist to be... the exact right amount of improvement over the last gen, yet be so much worse then the flagship that the only cards that are logical to purchase are the 4090 or a last gen option. Slow clap for Nvidia clearing out their mining woopsie.

You are spot on! The only thing the 4080 got me interested in is seeing reviews of the new AMD GPUs.

Who would buy a 3080TI:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

Because the 4080 is too expensive at $1200 ?

Or pay more for a 3090 too ?

Starting to feel it is a if 3080TI goes for that numbers why reduce price situation more than an ampere protection, is there that much new stock around, price seem terribly high on them ?

You are spot on! The only thing the 4080 got me interested in is seeing reviews of the new AMD GPUs.
I hope AMDs card is what we expect it to be.... 4080+ performance for a slightly saner price.

Seeing what the 4080 is...
I give Nvidia a BIG.little GOLF clap. Way to perfectly place your product so the INSANE datacenter level POWA version selling for over 2k in the wild seems like a value. While consumers looking under that point feel deflated and say well might as well buy a 2 year old card for 800 bucks. F them frankly. I hope AMD has something with the 7900.... still even there AMD really should have pushed a 7800 out the door at the same time and hit a price point that just jammed up all those 3080s Nvidia is trying to crush gamers souls into accepting. You can't afford the good life be a good pleb and buy your 2 year old cards.

Intel shitting the bed hurts this morning.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I hope AMDs card is what we expect it to be.... 4080+ performance for a slightly saner price.

Seeing what the 4080 is...
I give Nvidia a BIG.little GOLF clap. Way to perfectly place your product so the INSANE datacenter level POWA version selling for over 2k in the wild seems like a value. While consumers looking under that point feel deflated and say well might as well buy a 2 year old card for 800 bucks. F them frankly. I hope AMD has something with the 7900.... still even there AMD really should have pushed a 7800 out the door at the same time and hit a price point that just jammed up all those 3080s Nvidia is trying to crush gamers souls into accepting. You can't afford the good life be a good pleb and buy your 2 year old cards.

Intel shitting the bed hurts this morning.

I believe AMD thinks the 6000 series fits for the 7800 and below for now. Likely they want to clear out stock as well. They just are not as badly overstocked as Nvidia.

I believe AMD thinks the 6000 series fits for the 7800 and below for now. Likely they want to clear out stock as well. They just are not as badly overstocked as Nvidia.
Is that true (on the new not used market side of things) relative to sales volume ?, looking at price, rebate-combo offer and availability, both seem much better on AMD side than Nvidia, if true that would be based on what ?

Same goes for the different company release date, everything seem to point on AMD having a bigger new card of the previous generation inventory issue and with an inventory at the current price-availability-feature that seem to do a perfect job for an 7700-7800 not xt replacement.

Last edited:
Well that tends to happen when you actually discount your products, amd dropped prices on their graphics cards super soon into their cycle
, nvidia on the other hand 2 year old tech and nothing other than the 3090/ti has had any meaningful drop in price maybe the 3080ti but I never even looked at that card, all the other cards though only that one "Waifu" card ever dropped below msrp

I'm not the "organizing" hammer-and-sickle type, but in this case I'd make an exception to form, let's call it, a Gentleman's Agreement (open to all races, creeds and self-identifiers...we don't exclude in the Gentleman's Agreement, we like our mobs with pitchforks and torches to be diverse and inclusive.) and just say "Yeah, Nah, Fuck That" to this hardware until its MSRP is $800 or below.

Mind you, this is still a "fucking insane" price, but a price point I'd consider "reasonable for what you can expect of it, probably more reasonable if you factor-in the performance using DLSS 3.0". Your mileage may vary on this statement, I understand.

Based on the quick reviews I am seeing these 40 series cards are also a (currently, as all GPUS will eventually top-out) waste of time at resolutions as low as 1440p where the CPU bottlenecks seem to creep in.....so.....other than multi-monitor sim fanatics and 4k/200+hz hard core insaneo gamers where money is really not a factor in the equation of "All In Or Die!", who's paying $1200 bucks for this shit!?

NOT MEMBERS OF THE GENTLEMANS AGREEMENT, I DARE SAY'!
OIP.jpg

Scalpers and Bots are Nvidia's new consumers.

If scalpers achieve to make good money with the announced price, would show how strange the current market is, but isn't a lot of a 180 degree here ?

Scalpers and bots were Nvidia consumers, now without mining and giant asking price, not much room for arbitrage to occur ?

the action could be elsewhere, but there is almost no 4090 being sold on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rtx+4090&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

35 Nov 14
29 Nov 13
31 Nov 12

brand new 4090 suprim was sold $2,400

If that scalper would have paid MSI new price of $1935 for it and paid 7% sales taxes, they would have made $18 on it, better not having spend anything on a bot or their real life waiting in line equivalent.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Far East gets all the cards while we get about 1/20th of them in the States.

The Far East gets all the cards while we get about 1/20th of them in the States.
I could have been misreading things, but people talking about would they able to sell all of them unseen level of volume in the channels were US based, and I feel would have said if it was in Asia.

Was it not by far the biggest launch of an halo card ever ?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-produced-over-100000-rtx-4090-units-thus-far.html#:~:text=Since the NVIDIA GeForce, RTX,been sold, according to data.

Even if they melt connector at a very high rate of 1/10,000 by week, there must be quite a lot of them in the field

Almost no 4090 would be based on what ?
And the source of the Guru3D article iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis... WCCFTech: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-has-shipped-100000-ad102-ada-gpus-for-geforce-rtx-4090-graphics-card-so-far/

Is nVidia trying to make Apple look like a value brand?
Well, Nvidia is trying to play out of the same book. Apple created their own isolated product ecosystem, nobody really competes with individual apple products as such, any competing product has to compete with Apple's ecosystem.

Nvidia is creating an ecosystem.

And the source of the Guru3D article iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis... WCCFTech: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-has-shipped-100000-ad102-ada-gpus-for-geforce-rtx-4090-graphics-card-so-far/
Do not leave out that It was confirmed by 285 follower twitter account chi11eddog@g01d3nm4ng0 !

But there is 1,144 bestbuy, for a product with camping and line around the block release, send an average 20 of them by locations on launch day, have best buy on location launch day be a ridiculously giant 23% of the world sales over 30 days and you are up to that 100,000+ card figure.

need amd RX 7900XTX to launch. Wonder how long Nvidia will keep prices like they are with real competition? who drops prices first? the one who moves their old inventory the fastest?

need amd RX 7900XTX to launch. Wonder how long Nvidia will keep prices like they are with real competition? who drops prices first? the one who moves their old inventory the fastest?
Not sure the xtx need to move price wise, worst case scenario you simply have lot models at actual MSRP, same for the 4090.

Considering the 3080TI-3090 pricing I am not sure how fast the 4080 will need to move, specially if the low volume are true, should be sold out for a while.

And AMD could end up needing to make so few xt because of good yield on the xtx because of the chiplet design with a small chip on a very mature process that they would not have the need to lower that price for a long time.

The first that has the ability and need to produce high volume, because the higher margin item using similar resource need (would it be cpu including new Epyc line up for amd or Hopper type for nvidia) is filled ?

I would not be optimistic for easy to add to cart online 4080-4090-7900xtx-xt significantly under current MSRP anytime soon.

Not sure the xtx need to move price wise, worst case scenario you simply have lot models at actual MSRP, same for the 4090.

Considering the 3080TI-3090 pricing I am not sure how fast the 4080 will need to move, specially if the low volume are true, should be sold out for a while.

And AMD could end up needing to make so few xt because of good yield on the xtx because of the chiplet design with a small chip on a very mature process that they would not have the need to lower that price for a long time.

The first that has the ability and need to produce high volume, because the higher margin item using similar resource need (would it be cpu including new Epyc line up for amd or Hopper type for nvidia) is filled ?

I would not be optimistic for easy to add to cart online 4080-4090-7900xtx-xt significantly under current MSRP anytime soon.
I expect the 7900XT price is sort of a BS price and SKU much like the 4080 12 GB was.
IMO If stock on the 6000s wasn't an issue we would have got a 7900 XT and a 7800 XT. Instead we got the odd move to XTX.
If AMD does mange to move the majority of their 6950/6800 stock... I could see them dropping the 7900 XT price another $100-150.
We haven't seen actual benchmarks yet but based on the slide AMD released with the 4 game FPS on it a few days ago... I would say 749.99 or so should be the price on the 7900 XT. Its too much of a down grade in performance for $100. However at even $799 in kills 6950 sales completely.

Further too my above post on the 7900 XT... really being a 7800 XT.
If yields are good I could see AMD phasing out the 7900 XT... and releasing a 7800 XTX with very close to the same specs. I don't know how possible it would be to cut the memory down a bit more... I think 16 GB is possible with that bus width ? Drop the ram put the same chips on sell it at $749.99 once they clear the 6950s.

Well, Nvidia is trying to play out of the same book. Apple created their own isolated product ecosystem, nobody really competes with individual apple products as such, any competing product has to compete with Apple's ecosystem.

Nvidia is creating an ecosystem.

I'm just not sure they can manage anything even close to Apple considering how much of their ecosystem is made by other people, specifically Microsoft.

They really do want to be Apple though, don't they?

If AMD does mange to move the majority of their 6950/6800 stock... I could see them dropping the 7900 XT price another $100-150
Possible obviously, but I am not sure they want to make them and sell them, they will probably be purely not fully working NAVI31 for a good while.

If a 80% or so yield is achieved on that relatively small 308mm die on the fully going on for a bit more than 2 years by now 5nm, they will need to sale 4 xtx for every xt sold and the xtx is still and AMD $1000 card, how low the xt would need to be to sales almost all of that volume.

I'm not the "organizing" hammer-and-sickle type, but in this case I'd make an exception to form, let's call it, a Gentleman's Agreement (open to all races, creeds and self-identifiers...we don't exclude in the Gentleman's Agreement, we like our mobs with pitchforks and torches to be diverse and inclusive.) and just say "Yeah, Nah, Fuck That" to this hardware until its MSRP is $800 or below.

Mind you, this is still a "fucking insane" price, but a price point I'd consider "reasonable for what you can expect of it, probably more reasonable if you factor-in the performance using DLSS 3.0". Your mileage may vary on this statement, I understand.

Based on the quick reviews I am seeing these 40 series cards are also a (currently, as all GPUS will eventually top-out) waste of time at resolutions as low as 1440p where the CPU bottlenecks seem to creep in.....so.....other than multi-monitor sim fanatics and 4k/200+hz hard core insaneo gamers where money is really not a factor in the equation of "All In Or Die!", who's paying $1200 bucks for this shit!?

NOT MEMBERS OF THE GENTLEMANS AGREEMENT, I DARE SAY'!
View attachment 526969
There are quite a few members on these very boards already with 4090s... I don't think you're going to find many holding to this.

Although I will say, even without seeing how benches are going to stack up, it seems to me that AMD is going to look favorably with the 7900XTX and 7900XT. Though both of those cards still cost more than $800. Not sure what to tell you.
If you're happy with "last gen" the 6900XT is looking very favorable. Looks like an easy $550 or so pickup.

Last edited:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I think it's fairer to say that when GPU mining was more active miners, a great many of which were in the "Far East" (plus the larger mining concerns in the US) were able to snag the lion's share of graphics cards.

Nvidia's reported earning numbers didn't make sense compared to stock on shelves globally (just look at the German website that was posting stock delivered from Nvidia and board partners versus outstanding orders), but especially in places like the US and Europe, unless consumer GPUs were mostly ending up in mining rigs at scale.

The real question is how many XTX cards will actually exist at that price. I’m hearing rumours that AMD has fewer than 12000 first party XTX cards for their world wide release the rest are AIB cards that will be costing north of $1000 USD.

The real question is how many XTX cards will actually exist at that price. I’m hearing rumours that AMD has fewer than 12000 first party XTX cards for their world wide release the rest are AIB cards that will be costing north of $1000 USD.

At $999, one would expect just about any premium charged by a board partner, like minor modifications on a 4080 or 4090 cooler to fit a 7900XTX, would push the price over $1,000.

I think it's fairer to say that when GPU mining was more active miners, a great many of which were in the "Far East" (plus the larger mining concerns in the US) were able to snag the lion's share of graphics cards.

Nvidia's reported earning numbers didn't make sense compared to stock on shelves globally (just look at the German website that was posting stock delivered from Nvidia and board partners versus outstanding orders), but especially in places like the US and Europe, unless consumer GPUs were mostly ending up in mining rigs at scale.
Sorry. I did not realize he was posting in the past.

At $999, one would expect just about any premium charged by a board partner, like minor modifications on a 4080 or 4090 cooler to fit a 7900XTX, would push the price over $1,000.
My point is in terms of actual availability the price of the 7900xtx and the 4080 are going to be much closer than many here are hoping for.

Sorry. I did not realize he was posting in the past.
No, that person's sentence was still very much present tense, but it seemed founded on the recent past... whether that continues with China is an open question. Remember when 1440p monitors were first becoming a thing and B grade panels were super cheap in South Korea from the second or third string domestic brands compared to what Dell and HP were selling their panels for stateside? There is probably some element of that with graphics cards considering where the board partners factories can be located, especially the cards for China's domestic consumption. Mining really shifted movement to those massive farms and it has led to some well founded resentment... I certainly didn't enjoying paying XFX's jacked up original price for a 6900 Speedster Zero.

My point is in terms of actual availability the price of the 7900xtx and the 4080 are going to be much closer than many here are hoping for.

Not like many many 4080's other than a trickle of Founder's Edition cards are likely to list at $1,200 either. Preliminary pricing seemed to be placing cards as high as ~$1,450.

No, that person's sentence was still very much present tense, but it seemed founded on the recent past... whether that continues with China is an open question. Remember when 1440p monitors were first becoming a thing and B grade panels were super cheap in South Korea from the second or third string domestic brands compared to what Dell and HP were selling their panels for stateside? There is probably some element of that with graphics cards considering where the board partners factories can be located, especially the cards for China's domestic consumption. Mining really shifted movement to those massive farms and it has led to some well founded resentment... I certainly didn't enjoying paying XFX's jacked up original price for a 6900 Speedster Zero.

Not like many many 4080's other than a trickle of Founder's Edition cards are likely to list at $1,200 either. Preliminary pricing seemed to be placing cards as high as ~$1,450.
He was talking about 4090s and he is wrong. Not sure why you are white knighting for him.

Was it not by far the biggest launch of an halo card ever ?

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-produced-over-100000-rtx-4090-units-thus-far.html#:~:text=Since the NVIDIA GeForce, RTX,been sold, according to data.

Even if they melt connector at a very high rate of 1/10,000 by week, there must be quite a lot of them in the field

Almost no 4090 would be based on what ?
From that Guru3D post:
"Note that 100,000 units do not equal the total number of GPUs made or sold. Instead, it is the number of chips that were sent to partners so they could make RTX 4090 models."

100,000 worldwide is a pittance. That's not 100,000 FE cards, that's total for all manufacturers.

100,000 worldwide is a pittance. That's not 100,000 FE cards, that's total for all manufacturers.
FE was never implied in any way here, 100,000 would be nothing for a regular card, but a $1600-$2200 halo product that sound like a good launch, after a bit more than 2 years the 3090 is 0.48% of DX12 cards on the steam hardware survey same a bit less for the 2080TI

I’m hearing rumours that AMD has fewer than 12000 first party XTX cards for their world wide release the rest are AIB cards that will be costing north of $1000 USD.
Going to be lots more than that over the next quarter. Very different move than what Nvidia did with 4090. AMD had steady release to channel worked out, instead of a one day drop then bounce to next year.

Back