$4000 RTX 4090

As I illustrated, it makes no sense. I don't even think it's a good way to show off. It's just tells people you are willing to spend $2,000 on an RTX 4090 plus $2,000 more on a $150 AIO that didn't even cost half that to make.
Agreed. It's a pretty dumb way to flaunt if that's what one is after.

Though knowing how hard some ride the ASUS train, maybe they're not wrong.

I still say they should make a white edition for an extra 2k lol.

With ASUS it's all fun and games until you need warranty support... :ROFLMAO:
I've only had a couple experiences with their support in 20 years and it was actually fine. (Though I've never RMA'ed anything to them.) They sent me a BIOS chip for a board that bricked itself. Obviously, that was a long time ago. Outside of that its fair to say as a reviewer I've probably worked with more ASUS products than most people and I've had very few problems out of their hardware.

Sure, they have put out a couple of crap designs over the years but so has everyone else but I've rarely ever needed any type of support or RMA. Now I have RMA'ed a video card to MSI which they sent back damaged and after two attempts the card sort of worked awhile and then shit the bed. I finally gave up. At one time ASUS outsold everyone and thus, I think its one of those vocal minority cases. Sure, you get horror stories from time to time but I don't know how representational those stories are of the average RMA experience. I've had good and bad experiences out of most brands so I tend to take these horror stories with a grain of salt.

I've only had a couple experiences with their support in 20 years and it was actually fine. (Though I've never RMA'ed anything to them.) They sent me a BIOS chip for a board that bricked itself. Obviously, that was a long time ago. Outside of that its fair to say as a reviewer I've probably worked with more ASUS products than most people and I've had very few problems out of their hardware.

Sure, they have put out a couple of crap designs over the years but so has everyone else but I've rarely ever needed any type of support or RMA. Now I have RMA'ed a video card to MSI which they sent back damaged and after two attempts the card sort of worked awhile and then shit the bed. I finally gave up. At one time ASUS outsold everyone and thus, I think its one of those vocal minority cases. Sure, you get horror stories from time to time but I don't know how representational those stories are of the average RMA experience. I've had good and bad experiences out of most brands so I tend to take these horror stories with a grain of salt.
I would tend to agree but unless Asus has cleaned up its act it was the worst RMA service I dealt with in the past 5 years.

That's fair enough. Perhaps it may be a very vocal minority, but it is enough to give myself a moment of pause when considering their hardware. It doesn't mean I won't buy ASUS motherboards (my current and previous motherboards have been ASUS, in fact) - my experiences have generally been decent enough. But the old adage applies: your mileage may vary... Every manufacturer has hits and misses...

It's not like any one person can really vouch for RMA quality anyway, unless maybe they work at some large computer store where they regularly build things... well, except even that would not be an accurate representation of it, because if you worked at any large facility that could possibly influence a lot of people, they could treat you differently to begin with.

You'd essentially have to be in a position where you handle many cards and then distribute them to private anonymous entities that could then make the RMA claim for you, in order to get some idea of average support.

That's fair enough. Perhaps it may be a very vocal minority, but it is enough to give myself a moment of pause when considering their hardware. It doesn't mean I won't buy ASUS motherboards (my current and previous motherboards have been ASUS, in fact) - my experiences have generally been decent enough. But the old adage applies: your mileage may vary... Every manufacturer has hits and misses...

Yeah the bad things I've read about ASUS RMA... the sheer negativity of it... does give me pause; I try not to buy from them if I can help it. I've been reading about MSI lately, and multiple people on Reddit have said that they sent in a GPU and got back a working GPU, just that it took a bit. Likewise, we've had a member here on [H] that had an issue with their Suprim X fans, and the support took care of them. Likewise, I had issues registering my open box 4090 Suprim X Liquid, so I just got on their chat support line and some dude took care of me within 10 minutes (at like 2 AM by the way).

The only one that I've had to submit for warranty myself has been a Gigabyte 980 Ti. At first they sent me back a card that also didn't work, so I made a quick video of myself plugging it in and showing nothing but a test pattern on the TV, and another older GPU in the exact same system giving me a picture. They took it back and sent me a 1080 since they had no more 980 Ti's on hand. That was years ago. That 1080 is still working. But then again, you hear about people having all kinds of issues with Gigabyte nowadays, especially with that clip breaking incident on the heavy 4090s. Arguably I guess that is user error, but who knows? It all depends on who's working there, and it's almost impossible to gauge in any reliable manner...

I had an asus MB that came with Wi-Fi but wouldn’t show any networks. I sent it to them about four times and they’d just send it back saying the mb was fine. Turned out the MB was fine but the Wi-Fi card was dead. They couldn’t even figure that out. Through trial and error I figured this out and bought a new Wi-Fi card. Until this day idk wtf they even tried to troubleshoot

$4k is a lot but that thing is pretty bad ass.. that said seems like the overclocking headroom on 4090s is not great unless you get into over-volting and extreme cooling.. Still a very sweet flagship 4090.

What is the actual point of this? I doubt it performes must better if anything over a strip or even a tuf. I doubt it will be worth anything as a collectors item.
https://www.google.com/search?q=asu...e=ive&vld=cid:371d7967,vid:qqGT9-91dVE,st:240

Let say that you are in the the "September " of your life span. You are a computer enthusiast and are sitting on a lot of money that you would have left to your children but one of them is an ingrate so, you spend some money. Assuming that you have everything else you have ever needed or wanted, you build yourself an ultimate gaming rig with have all the bells and whistles. Performance is just one aspect, esthetics another. This thing with a Hyperion case would be awesome if the 10-15 k is like 1500 to others.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/search?q=asu...e=ive&vld=cid:371d7967,vid:qqGT9-91dVE,st:240

Let say that you are in the the "September " of your life span. You are a computer enthusiast and are sitting on a lot of money that you would have left to your children but one of them is an ingrate so, you spend some money. Assuming that you have everything else you have ever needed or wanted, you build yourself an ultimate gaming rig with have all the bells and whistles. Performance is just one aspect, esthetics another. This thing with a Hyperion case would be awesome if the 10-15 k is like 1500 to others.

Maybe if it released as a full water block version with this sort of hardware, yeah it would make some sense. But just as an AIO unit? Nah. If you want a completely lack of compromise, it's basically full loop or bust. You're also getting very little performance gain out of it to begin with, but frankly just an AIO unit is going to handicap it in one way or another, imo.

Unfortunately, I can't fully refute you, because Nvidia killed off SLI entirely. So yes, to a pure gamer, technically any one strongest card technically is still the strongest card. If SLI still existed, one would keep in mind that for $4800, one could obviously have 3 freaking 4090s (before the price hike). They also did include custom chips on it.

But even without a full rebuttal... there still really is no reason other than just showing off. That's it. I wonder how many people on PCPartpicker have already bought into this shit just to have the featured build on the front page. I hope they're happy, their GPU costs ~$800 more than my entire system upgrade, monitor included. '_'

Ufortunately, I can't fully refute you, because Nvidia killed off SLI entirely. So yes, to a pure gamer, technically any one strongest card technically is still the strongest card. If SLI still existed, one would keep in mind that for $4800, one could obviously have 3 freaking 4090s (before the price hike). They also did include custom chips on it.
They'll bring SLI back when it "financially" makes sense for them. Features often come and go based on how good they sell, demand, and interest.

Annoyingly, I reckon super halo cards like this slowly help to drag up pricing for everything else...

Not really worth 4k even with the custom water cooling components. I'd say $300 for the AIO, $300 for the waterblock pieces, and $1600 for the GPU would place this at $2,200 for 'fair value'.

But nothing to do with the 4090 is 'fair value' anymore. Cool piece though if you want to flex and you have a lot of cash to burn.

Reactions: Xar
like this
This is becoming the realm of cone feet, $800 speaker wire and painting the edges of cd's with green markers.

If you guys find the 4090 - how much is it now? How much is it used, in your locale? Just curious. I discovered it's cheapest version is $1800 USD at Microcenter?
Was the msrp $1600?

If you guys find the 4090 - how much is it now? How much is it used, in your locale? Just curious. I discovered it's cheapest version is $1800 USD at Microcenter?
Was the msrp $1600?

keeps coming in and out of stock every few days at my local Micro Centers for around the same price ($1800)...at this point it might be better to just get the 4080 Super as a stopgap and wait for the 5000 series (and sell the 4080 S)

Reactions: Xar
like this
The original Titan was ~ $1k in 2013. Adjusted for inflation that's around $1300. And those were niche, high end products.
Flagships today shouldn't be more than $1k and the niche products $1500 tops. IMHO. The scalping / shortages from mining showed that people will bend over and pull out their credit cards and buy them regardless. Going to be hard to fall back to prior ways unless people just refuse to buy them.

The original Titan was ~ $1k in 2013. Adjusted for inflation that's around $1300. And those were niche, high end products.
Flagships today shouldn't be more than $1k and the niche products $1500 tops. IMHO. The scalping / shortages from mining showed that people will bend over and pull out their credit cards and buy them regardless. Going to be hard to fall back to prior ways unless people just refuse to buy them.
Price won't come down until there is a viable competitor to TSMC. Prices for wafers at TSMC have skyrocketed the past few years. I'm hoping Samsung can step up their game, and maybe Intel can open their foundries to outside customers.

Price won't come down until there is a viable competitor to TSMC. Prices for wafers at TSMC have skyrocketed the past few years. I'm hoping Samsung can step up their game, and maybe Intel can open their foundries to outside customers.
I get it but when people are still paying well north of MSRP that's a problem!

Even if you have the money, something like this has to feel wrong to most everyone. It's very, very close to identical to parts that cost less than 1/2 what it does. Even if you're all about benchmark scores, there are probably better ways to go about boosting those than dropping 2 extra grand on this. If you can manage to wait a year then I'm sure the 5090 will beat it by at least 25% if not potentially way more. Still, they wouldn't make it if people weren't willing to buy it. Tough to fault ASUS if they're just filling an apparent need.

Reactions: pavel
like this
AI will demand for silicon is the new price driver.

Back