• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4 year old box, time for upgrades

alxlwson

You Know Where I Live
2FA
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Messages
10,619
Hello all. I've out of the loop for a couple years. I've still been gaming and what not, just haven't been building.

Anyway, I can't decide on doing a full platform upgrade, or just waiting for the new processors from AMD and running with a new video card and psu.

Anyway:


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming! Browsing, torrenting, etc...

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Not so much a budget, but I'm not buying enthusiast level parts.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible
Lexington, KY
.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Again, not real sure, depends on suggestions and recommendations.
CPU, GPU, mobo, PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I could be reusing parts. Obviously my Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard, Razer Mamba mouse, Samsung series 5 23in, Coolersmaster HAF XB, 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600, 1TB hdd, 120GB PNY XLR8 SSD, Lite-On dvdrw.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, but nothing hardcore.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p, 23in

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP, Within a week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Crossfire/sli, 6Gb SATA, UEFI bios would be nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Home Premium



I suppose I should list out what my rig is right now

AMD Phenom II x6 1045t
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
Corsair h80
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance with Kingtson RAM cooler blowing on them
PNY 120GB XLR8 SSD (os and games)
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm 32mB cache sata 3Gb ("slow" programs, storage)
XFX HD5770
BFG 550w psu
Coolermaster HAF XB


I ended up buying that new mobo because the southbridge went out on my old one.
Anyway, I really really would like to stick with 6 core. I do a lot of multitasking and photo editing on occasion. I should mention that as far as the gpu goes, I will be staying with AMD. I can't stand nVidia's driver suite.

Thanks for reading, and the reply's :D
 
Last edited:
What do you mean by multitasking? What are you using for photo editing?

Do you already have the processor on hand?

Please give us a budget. How much at most do you want to spend on these parts?
 
Personally, I'd OC your proc (if you haven't already) and throw in an Nvidia 760, call it a day etc.
 
Sorry for the delay. I guess for now with new AMD processors on the way early next year, I'm going to hold off on that front until I can see what the offering is. I've decided with the price drop off the 7950, that I'm going to x fire a pair of these. So the next question is, what Psu? I want it to be fully modular, and obviously have enough juice and quality to support this rig for the next two years.

Thanks!
 
What BFG 550W PSU do you have? How old is it?

Thing is ancient!! I don't remember of the top of my head, but I know it's not strong enough to run what I want. It only has like 39w on the pcie lanes.
 
Yeah that doesn't sound right even if it is one of BFG's older models. How old is it? Please find out the model number if you can.

Then again if you are serious about HD 7950 Crossfire, then you need to get the Corsair HX 750
 
Yeah that doesn't sound right even if it is one of BFG's older models. How old is it? Please find out the model number if you can.

Then again if you are serious about HD 7950 Crossfire, then you need to get the Corsair HX 750


It is a BFG BFGE550WPSU. 36A on the 12v. poopoo

I was looking around, and I saw the P1-750B-BEFX, XFX Pro Black Edition 750w full modular. Appears Seasonic makes it. TigerDirect has it for 160 with overnight shipping, and then a 20 MIR.

Very serious about the 7950 crossfire. I actually had a pair of them picked out on newegg, the HIS BOOST with the old arctic cooler style blower system on it. Woke up the next morning ready to buy, and they were sold out. So I've decided to go with some MSI cards.
 
I was looking around, and I saw the P1-750B-BEFX, XFX Pro Black Edition 750w full modular. Appears Seasonic makes it. TigerDirect has it for 160 with overnight shipping, and then a 20 MIR.
Not a good choice for the money at all since you can get the higher quality and also Seasonic built Corsair AX760 for that much money (not to mention the far far better customer support):
$160 - Corsair AX760 760W Modular PSU
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know Corsair has wonderful support. I'm not sure about xfx. I've been buying xfx dive 2002,and have never had a need to call them:) I am liking what I'm reading about the AX760.
 
I know Corsair has wonderful support. I'm not sure about xfx. I've been buying xfx dive 2002,and have never had a need to call them:) I am liking what I'm reading about the AX760.

XFX was very good at one point but apparently their CS has been downhill a bit. Hence why I'd rather recommend a Corsair over a XFX.
 
So I decided to go with a more complete upgrade. FX8320, msi 7950, seasonic 750w gold full modular, corsair h100i, Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0, and reused my ram. Plays Far Cry 3 and BF 3 @ 1080p on ultra at 70+ fps most out the time. Very happy with it!
 
Back
Top