4 VelociRaptor Raid 5 Array on Adaptec 5405 SAS

kewlncguy

n00b
I recently built a workstation with storage speed in mind and opted not to go with the onboard Intel Matrix raid but rather use an Adaptec 5405 SAS Raid controller and 4 VelociRaptor drives in Raid 5. I chose the Adaptec card because of my past experiences with them and the ultrafast 1.2GB/s bandwidth available as 4 x 300MB/s channels. Needless to say, shelling out $1560 (wholesale) for a storage array on a personal computer is a little excessive to say the least but all said i am extremely happy with the results.

As you can see in the pictures below the benchmarks proved that this combination is lethal (In a good way).

In Summary:

279 MB/s Average read with 440.5 MB/s burst on HD Tune 2.55

302 MB/s Average read with 838 MB/s Burst Speed on HD Tach 3.0.4.0

QUAD_R5_SAS.jpg

HDTUNE_R54.jpg

HDTACH_R52.jpg

Thats a neat setup you have there.

What do you do mostly on that type of WS that requires that kind of throughputs.

Thats cool I just got out of development...actually im unemployed atm but I just got tired of it the pay was good but just got old real quick for me. Im back in school trying to finish up my BBA now so well see what happens in 6 months.

But but but... the cost... :p

There's that one guy around here someplace that grabbed 4 16GB Mtron SSDs and RAID'ed 'em together, was pulling 430MB/s sustained reads... sick stuff man, totally sick stuff but, of course you've got him beat by about a terabyte and then some. :)

yea I want to grab like 16 WD6400AAKS and put them in a Raid0 on like an Areca 1680 I bet I could pull 1GB/s easy

I am actually stockpiling WD6400AAKS's for an 8 Drive Raid 5 system on an Adaptec 5805. This time I am going to use 2 - 4 in 3 hot swap enclosures

well, i can def. see why you did't go with these seeing the raptors are about $400 less expensive.
btw did you find a deal on the 5405 or did you pay full price?

I like it, I like it alot! ( Major Thumbs Up)

I wish there would have been some of this techi-teaching stuff when I was in college in the early 70s.

I may have even graduated! :D

piako. I got the card for like $340 and that includes purchasing the Mini SAS 8087 to SATAII Cable separate.

Back