4 pin 12v connected to 8 pin eps12v = issues?

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
That's currently how I have it connected. And it does seem perfectly fine, but I did some researching and it's said that it can be a potential for some issues.

Any thoughts on this?

That's currently how I have it connected. And it does seem perfectly fine, but I did some researching and it's said that it can be a potential for some issues.

Any thoughts on this?

8 pin connector designed for multi sockets board,
so IMO if we use single socket that would be just fine

[ATX12V1]: 8-pin power connector
This connector supplies +12V power to CPU.
You may connect either a 4-pin ATX12V or
an 8-pin EPS12V power source
. However, it
is recommended to connect the 8-pin
EPS12V power source to meet the 240VA
protection limits.

So, you should be OK.

Well, I'm wondering how much of a recommendation it is..
Recommended to a point where it'll negatively impact your hardware, as in shorting the board or such.. Then that's a pretty serious recommendation. Just can't seem to find out exactly how recommended it is.

Also, does the fact that a 4pin is connected limit the overclocking potential?
Because I was wondering why I can't overclock so high. Maybe it is attributed to this?

Shrugs. >_>

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

It is purely a safety number (240VA) from UL so if you unplug it and stick the connector on your tongue it is unlikely you will die. Please do not try this experiment.

Below is the way I remember it, that does not mean its exactly correct. This may be due to repeatedly sticking my tongue on power supply connections, not sure, everything is fuzzy now.

The 8 pin connector originated back when ATX EPS server supplies that supported mulitple cpu sockets on a server board could not meet the 240VA saftey requirement with 4 pins and so put in an 8 pin connector, 4 pins for one cpu socket, 4 pins for the second cpu socket.

While the P4 furnace CPUs came into vogue (or was it the P3's ) and made it necessary to add a dedicated aux 12V connector to supply the CPU Voltage Regulator with its own dedicated 12V feed a lot of people were using EPS server class power supplies because the power supply industry was slow to move to high output supplies desired for OCing. Remember enthusiasts are probally about 5% of the market, Office drone computers are far away where the volume is and power supply makers were not going to increase costs putting fancy supplies in that class of equipment. The board manuf noticed this and provided the needed 8 pin connector on enthusiast boards so EPS spec supplies could be used and just tied all the +12 together and the ground together to run to the single socket. This was mainly found on the high end boards and the more midrange and "office drone" boards got the single 4 pin connector.

The above has carried over to today.

You are fine. Stop worrying about it. The 4 pin will NOT affect your OC as long as your supply can supply the needed current. (and that PCP+C should )

<click>
"mmm, looks tasty ! "
<bbbzzzztttt!>
<Thud>

8 pin connector designed for multi sockets board,
so IMO if we use single socket that would be just fine

Sort of Incorrect. Originally designed for, yes. But as Bill points out....

The 8 pin connector originated back when ATX EPS server supplies that supported mulitple cpu sockets on a server board could not meet the 240VA saftey requirement with 4 pins and so put in an 8 pin connector, 4 pins for one cpu socket, 4 pins for the second cpu socket.

While the P4 furnace CPUs came into vogue (or was it the P3's ) and made it necessary to add a dedicated aux 12V connector to supply the CPU Voltage Regulator with its own dedicated 12V feed a lot of people were using EPS server class power supplies because the power supply industry was slow to move to high output supplies desired for OCing. Remember enthusiasts are probally about 5% of the market, Office drone computers are far away where the volume is and power supply makers were not going to increase costs putting fancy supplies in that class of equipment. The board manuf noticed this and provided the needed 8 pin connector on enthusiast boards so EPS spec supplies could be used and just tied all the +12 together and the ground together to run to the single socket. This was mainly found on the high end boards and the more midrange and "office drone" boards got the single 4 pin connector.

The above has carried over to today.

Correct.

You are fine. Stop worrying about it. The 4 pin will NOT affect your OC as long as your supply can supply the needed current. (and that PCP+C should )

Well, I will say that I've seen a number of boards that have 8-pin connectors, when used with only 4-pin ATX12V PSU connections, show burn marks or often times melted connectors. This isn't a PSU problem as if it was we'd see burnt insulation on the wires (yummy smell! :D) It's a matter of too much juice being drawn through too few pins on the board, so at the very least I'd suggest a 4-to-8-pin adapter at the end of your power supply's connector.

Sorry to "scare" but I used to do RMA/RTV for a living. Seen too many burnt up Intel boards to suggest using just a 4-pin when 8 pins are suggested.

Hey Jonny, I have a question.

I seem to be having alot of unstability issues, especially ever since I've installed my new hard drives.

Before the new drives, it was 2 x 200gb sata (raid0), 1 x 250gb ide, 1 x 250 sata.
Now after purchasing 2 more drives it's as follows:

1 x 150gb raptor, 1 x 500gb spinpoint t166, 2 x 200gb (non raid), 1 x 250gb sata.
Only drive that I've removed is the 250gb ide one.

I'm wondering if my psu isn't giving enough power. I seem to be getting alot of random crashes, when there's alot of disk access.

The errors I'm getting are as follows:
&#8226; The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
&#8226; and the few occasional Kernel_stack_inpage_error.

Seems to be definitely hard drive related. But I've tested my drives and it seems to be all functional. I'm thinking maybe it is hard drive related, but the power supply is causing the hard drive to act up by not giving enough juice?

Currently, I unplugged 2 of my 200gb sata drives, and it hasn't crashed yet..

ALSO, I've read through your site - and it's very informative. =)
But it would be great if you can recommend me a psu.

One factor is that the case I have, the psu goes on the bottom and the compartment is seperated from the rest of the case. So, the PSU's with the fan on the bottom would be blocked. First of all, would this cause any problems? If so, which psu would you recommend that would suit my case?

I've been leaning towards the corsair 620w. (or maybe the PC&C 750w quad) What would you suggest?

Thanks =)

Oh and by the way, I tried this PSU calculator Link
and filled in my specs, and it says I'll need 1,000w+ >_> Should I be worried?

Back