4 different R9 290's with issues

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
1~ MSI Reference when it was still $399. Fan made weird rattling noise that just got worse.
2~ Gigabyte non-reference started screen tearing and rebooting PC
3~ Sapphire non-reference fans made strange whirring sound when they ran at higher RPMs
4~ Asus non-reference makes coil whining noise every time I move the mouse

And yes I tried eliminating what might cause the issues, but it always came down to the cards.

Decided to go back to Nvidia. I hope the MSI GTX 780 non-reference doesn't have any issues.

I'm sure some of you here with berate me on this, but I just want a frikn $400 to $600 vid card that doesn't do something it shouldn't f%^&$ing do.

Newegg has been great about all of this too.

Last edited:
Decided to go back to Nvidia.
I consider myself an AMD fanboy but I like to weigh both sides equally whenever I'm on the market.
But everytime I buy an Nvidia card, I find something to complain about.

So I've just stopped trying. I don't blame Nvidia but rather my inability to be satisfied with an Nvidia card regardless of reason.

Strangely, 3 of your complaints are for AIB boards which could be equally problematic for Green since they're the same manufacturers and the same coolers most of the time...

Well ya know I've been with AMD since the 5000 series, but this is just getting ridiculous.

I have two Sapphire reference 290Xs and they work fine. It sounds like you have extremely bad luck, honestly. Most of the non-reference coolers have been a lot better on the 290s than the stock ones. Did you go with the MSI 780 Lightning?

I bought a pair of Sapphire tri-x OC 290Xs 3 weeks ago and I've been giving them a literal beating mining and gaming with them overclocked and haven't had a single issue yet. /shrug

For every post like yours there are at least a hundred as many people not posting because they have no issues. You have my pity though, it must suck to have your luck.

it must suck to have your luck

Yep. Never had this much trouble with vid cards. EVER!!

Now I did see where someone else had the Sapphire and around 30 to 45% on the fan the whirring sound would start.

Too be honest I'm also just pissed at the price increases with AMD at the moment.

Back