4 different R9 290's with issues

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
1~ MSI Reference when it was still $399. Fan made weird rattling noise that just got worse.
2~ Gigabyte non-reference started screen tearing and rebooting PC
3~ Sapphire non-reference fans made strange whirring sound when they ran at higher RPMs
4~ Asus non-reference makes coil whining noise every time I move the mouse

And yes I tried eliminating what might cause the issues, but it always came down to the cards.

Decided to go back to Nvidia. I hope the MSI GTX 780 non-reference doesn't have any issues.

I'm sure some of you here with berate me on this, but I just want a frikn $400 to $600 vid card that doesn't do something it shouldn't f%^&$ing do.

Newegg has been great about all of this too.

Last edited:

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
Decided to go back to Nvidia.
I consider myself an AMD fanboy but I like to weigh both sides equally whenever I'm on the market.
But everytime I buy an Nvidia card, I find something to complain about.

So I've just stopped trying. I don't blame Nvidia but rather my inability to be satisfied with an Nvidia card regardless of reason.

Strangely, 3 of your complaints are for AIB boards which could be equally problematic for Green since they're the same manufacturers and the same coolers most of the time...

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Well ya know I've been with AMD since the 5000 series, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
I have two Sapphire reference 290Xs and they work fine. It sounds like you have extremely bad luck, honestly. Most of the non-reference coolers have been a lot better on the 290s than the stock ones. Did you go with the MSI 780 Lightning?

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a pair of Sapphire tri-x OC 290Xs 3 weeks ago and I've been giving them a literal beating mining and gaming with them overclocked and haven't had a single issue yet. /shrug

For every post like yours there are at least a hundred as many people not posting because they have no issues. You have my pity though, it must suck to have your luck.

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
it must suck to have your luck

Yep. Never had this much trouble with vid cards. EVER!!

Now I did see where someone else had the Sapphire and around 30 to 45% on the fan the whirring sound would start.

Too be honest I'm also just pissed at the price increases with AMD at the moment.