4.0 ghz and up i7 OC

What is your QPI/Uncore frequency set to? I had issues before getting 4.0 with the uncore left high or on auto (usually it likes to default to 18x).

Try lowering it to 16 or 17, I'd be willing to bet that's why you need that much voltage.
You're probably running 18 which is why you need such high Vcc.

I think my multipliers are something like DRAM x8, Uncore x16, QPI x36.

I read somewhere that you want to have these multipliers at least 2x from another so 8×2=16, 16×2=32 -> x36 being the lowest QPI option. Also, as was said, if your multipliers are unnecessarily high then you'll need too much voltage.

Yeah they were both set to auto, i'll change them when I get home and see if thats the issue. I'm working right now =P

This thread is making me want to revisit my overclock as well. Though it's working well, I bet I can get the voltage down a bit more :)

I dropped the qpi dram and ucore as stated and am now stable at 4.0 ghz and 1.39 Core Voltage. WAYYYY better still higher than I want I've definitly seen this done at about 1.25 volts what else could I possibly be doing wrong.

UPDATE: BSOD 45 minutes into the stress test with revised settings

Last edited:
I dropped the qpi dram and ucore as stated and am now stable at 4.0 ghz and 1.39 Core Voltage. WAYYYY better still higher than I want I've definitly seen this done at about 1.25 volts what else could I possibly be doing wrong.

UPDATE: BSOD 45 minutes into the stress test with revised settings

Turn off HyperThreading, see if you can get 1.35v with it off, then work your way down from there.

Try following this guide.
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

Specifically lower your multiplier to 12 and start raising the bclk and Vtt and find out how much Vtt it takes to get the cpu to run 200bclk.

You might be boosting Vcc (Vcore) unnecessarily because the Vtt needs more (but you think it's the Vcc). You really need to isolate them from each other and see what needs what voltage to run the higher bclk.

Start at 12x150bclk at stock settings. Then try 160, 170, 180 etc. You can probably do 150 and 160bclk on stock Vtt voltage, 170 might need a couple bumps. 180, 190 and 200 will need bumps.

It takes more time, and that sucks I know, but hopefully you're not just dialing in settings that you've seen other people use. Best advice I can give is to start from scratch with your particular cpu which (IMHO) is sound advice since every cpu is different anyway.

Once you figure out how much Vtt it takes to do 200bclk (or higher, possibly) stable, then you can start raising your multiplier and adding Vcc to do so. I'd start from scratch though....put everything at auto, find your cpu's stock Vcc/Vtt voltages @ stock speed, and go from there.

Not sure if this was brought up, but have you flashed to the latest bios? It may help. Rampage II Gene went through quite a few bios updates.

The Rampage II Gene that I have allowed my i7 920 to OC like a champ, in an SFF case with limited cooling at that.

I do recall I had to set my DRAM BUS to 1.65 and QPI/DRAM to 1.55 (I may even have brought it up to 1.6) to get it fully stable. Anything lower at QPI/DRAM would crash the system or fail Prime95.

Back