3xVertex 30GB

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
I am running 3 Vertex's in Raid 0 on the EVGA Classified X58 board. Are these good numbers? I am using the onboard Intel controller using SATA0,1,and 2 ports. I am also using the 1.10 firmware.
HDBenchmark.jpg

what firmware version are you using with those drives, and what OS? you should definitely be getting better numbers than that...each drive is capable of 250 mb/s, and although hey arent going to scale linear, it should be near linear, so you should be nearly saturating your onboard raid controller (ich10r) at around 600 mb/s

what firmware version are you using with those drives, and what OS? you should definitely be getting better numbers than that...each drive is capable of 250 mb/s, and although hey arent going to scale linear, it should be near linear, so you should be nearly saturating your onboard raid controller (ich10r) at around 600 mb/s
1.10, using Windows 7 x64. Did 128k stripe when I created the RAID 0 array.

well then you should definitely be getting some better numbers than those! what stripe size are you using? also have you dont the normal ssd tricks, disable defrag, indexing, etc? also enabled advanced performance on your drive from within the OS?

well then you should definitely be getting some better numbers than those! what stripe size are you using? also have you dont the normal ssd tricks, disable defrag, indexing, etc? also enabled advanced performance on your drive from within the OS?

128k and yes I have disabled all of those. Windows 7 installed all of my drivers except for my video card which I downloaded. Do you think a driver issue could cause this?

Last edited:
well if you are using the onboard raid controller you definitely need to get the chipset drivers on there, especially the raid ones. it has a specific raid drivers for that ich10r, try that first. I have the same board :)

well if you are using the onboard raid controller you definitely need to get the chipset drivers on there, especially the raid ones. it has a specific raid drivers for that ich10r, try that first. I have the same board :)

tried and I am still getting the same speeds. Not exactly sure what the deal is :confused:

EDIT: I saw that I might need to install the Intel Matrix software...doing that now.

i would encourage you to head over to the OCZ forums and check it out for some device specific tweaks, you should definitely be getting much better speed than that and they are better suited to help you in their forum.

Is the write back cashe enabled in device manager? It has to be to be close to maxing the controller out as well as having it enabled in Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

30/60GB are the slowest Vertex around with only:
Read: Up to 230 MB/s
Write: Up to 135MB/s
Sustained 70MB/s

Unlike the 120/250GB that has:
Read: Up to 250 MB/s
Write: Up to 180MB/s
Sustained 100MB/s

Is the write back cashe enabled in device manager? It has to be to be close to maxing the controller out as well as having it enabled in Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

So If I disable it in the Device Manager, it is disabled in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and vica versa. Are you saying I need to enable or disable it? I tried both but it didn't make a huge difference in my numbers.

those numbers are NOT fine, that is only 2/3 of the way to the fastest that controller can do...and regardless of if those vertex can "only" get 230 mb/s your numbers are slow~! I have attained speeds of 600 mb/s with the same board and the same drives

I Fixed my problem :). I had to turn off Windows write-cache buffer in Windows 7. Now I am getting 500 read speeds! There was a person on the OCZ forums with the exact same issue. We are both getting around the same numbers now. What is interesting though is the 512k Read seemed to drop off some on both of ours.
HDBenchmark2.jpg

HDTune2.jpg

Last edited:
WOW that is great to hear! excellent results! I ma glad to see that you got some help on their forums, there are some great guys over there to help with that kind of stuff!

I Fixed my problem . I had to turn off Windows write-cache buffer in Windows 7. Now I am getting 500 read speeds!

Seriously, do you notice any "real-world" difference?

Question: when you have your 3 drives hooked up together, you're getting the combined maximum speeds of 3xSATA300 ports, right? I always worried that if your drives were too fast (SSDs only), you'd hit the SATA bus limit of 300 MB/s, but it seems like that's only for each individual drive.

Ideally that's how it would work. In reality most motherboard raid setups can only handle 400ish MB/s max read speeds. The Intel ICH10r is good for 600MB/s. The better PCI-e X8 hardware raid controllers are good for upwards of 900MB/s

I just went from 300MB to 600MB a second. Yes I can tell a difference. :D

I'll take you guys' word for it.

The speed is soo fast to begin with, I don't how must faster you would need to go (percentage of improvement over 300MB) before it became noticeable.

I can't tell much difference in my E6850 between 3.3GHz and 3.8GHz.

You should easily notice a 100% in read speeds like you guys had, but I just wanted to know for sure. :)

Last edited:
Question: when you have your 3 drives hooked up together, you're getting the combined maximum speeds of 3xSATA300 ports, right? I always worried that if your drives were too fast (SSDs only), you'd hit the SATA bus limit of 300 MB/s, but it seems like that's only for each individual drive.

Actually, the fastest SSDs are starting to bump up against the SATA II transfer limit. I believe there is a SATA III spec in the works, but it will be a while before the actual hardware hits the streets.

Now any drive running that fast is crazy fast. And if 300 MB/sec is not fast enough, then just do a RAID 0. You will then cap out most mainstream controllers.

Don

Ideally that's how it would work. In reality most motherboard raid setups can only handle 400ish MB/s max read speeds. The Intel ICH10r is good for 600MB/s. The better PCI-e X8 hardware raid controllers are good for upwards of 900MB/s
Sounds good. I just bought an X25-M, but I'm thinking it may be a good idea to spring for another when prices are cheaper.

Back