3xSLI GTX 590?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
Seriously, what would you do with three, or even four, GTX 590's in your PC? I can only imagine the power consumption.

Have a lot of RMAs on your hands?

I don't think that's even technically possible.

Yes, quad is the limit, also if they all explode at the same time you could die! :eek:

Seriously, what would you do with three, or even four, GTX 590's in your PC? I can only imagine the power consumption.

Only up to Quad-SLI is supported by Nvidia. So assuming your 590s didn't burn up, the most you could use at one time would be two of them.

Never mind, brain-fart moment, sabregen cleared it up though.

Last edited:
As far as I remember 3dfx's SLI (scan line interleave) which was made by the people that created both nvidia SLI and Crossfire had the ability to scale up to 32 GPUs (which it never did). Or something. But it was a different tech alltogether.

It would be an exercise in futility if it were possible.

1x 570 = 1280MB per GPU
1x 590 = 768MB per GPU
2x 590 = 384MB per GPU
3x 590 = 256MB per GPU
4x 590 = 192MB per GPU

When each of your GPUs has less RAM to use than a 6800 Ultra, you have a problem.

your math is completetly fucked. the 590 is 1.5GB per GPU, end of story. since it's already SLI'd that means each GPU already has the other GPUs (on the same card) framebuffer in it's own VRAM. When you go to 2x 590s, or quad sli, the GPUs on one card are SLI'd with the GPUs on the other card... you're not quadrupling the overhead, it remains double.

your math is completetly fucked. the 590 is 1.5GB per GPU, end of story. since it's already SLI'd that means each GPU already has the other GPUs (on the same card) framebuffer in it's own VRAM. When you go to 2x 590s, or quad sli, the GPUs on one card are SLI'd with the GPUs on the other card... you're not quadrupling the overhead, it remains double.

Hey that's really interesting thanks for the info, IDK why I mixed that up so badly. So what happens in the case of three GPUs, or four GPUs that aren't shared in sets of two like the 590?

EDIT: OK got it Quad SLI is the same as 590 SLI.

quad sli hold the same, as you just stated. in the case of 3 GPUs, each one has a copy of another's framebuffer, they're just not in straight pairs.

1>2
2>3
3>1

as an expample. in practice, though, it will be up to the board/CPUs PCI-E controller to determine which one is mirroring which

so, would it be possible to use 4x 590's in the same system if you didn't SLI them? I'm thinking HPC here ;)

same thought w/ 6990's if you didn't CF them?

so, would it be possible to use 4x 590's in the same system if you didn't SLI them? I'm thinking HPC here ;)

same thought w/ 6990's if you didn't CF them?

Yes its possible, BUT only 2 590s/6990s can be SLI'd

You can use as many GPUs as your mobo will support (ive seen a dude folding 7 580s)

but only 4 can be sli'd at a time (or 2 with dual chip boards)

Folding is the only way to utilize more than 4 gpus

Found the pic of the 7 580s folding

True desktop computing ;)

img20110402201437.jpg

Quote from Overclockers.com water cooling system Thread.

Last edited:
1 minute research would show you this

gtx590pcb-590x241.jpg

Only 1 connection for SLi ... so no way you could even think going more than 2 cards in a system ... even if the mobo/architecture allowerd ... that it doesn't ... as others said ... max is 4 gpu's :)

As far as I remember 3dfx's SLI (scan line interleave) which was made by the people that created both nvidia SLI and Crossfire had the ability to scale up to 32 GPUs (which it never did).
Actually they did scale to 32 GPUS. Quantum3D did it with the AAlchemy series of products developed for professional and military simulators.

Here's a Quantum3D AAlchemy board with 8x VSA-100 GPUS (3dfx Voodoo5) and it scaled to 4 boards per system:
q3daa81321.jpg

Also Evans & Sutherland had a quad R300 (Radeon 9700) board which also scaled to 32GPUs (8 boards per system) in the E&S SimFUSION series:

atisimfusion7000hz0.jpg

Back