• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3x crossfire review

cpu's do their work fairly similarly that's why having as many common denominators is important when comparing them. video cards; especially ones built upon the unified shader architecture, do their work so differently that one gpu vs one gpu isn't even a reality with them. everyone should know by now that modern gpus are for lack of a better word 'multi core.' and as to preferring dual video card arrays to four, and the 'suckyness' of quad sli or quad crossfire, where does that leave those of us who will likely buy two 5870x2's. must i once again remind everyone, 1x gtx295 = 2x gtx275 and 2x gtx 275 = 2x 4870 1gb. so is 2x 5870 = 2x gtx275? noooooo. its more like 2x 5870>>>>2x gtx275. but we already knew that, right? so what again is the purpose of this article?
 
Looks pretty much like the gain you get from going 2x 4870 to 3x 4870. Adding a fourth card (e.g., 5870X2/5900 x2) would give even less. Diminishing returns continue for multi-GPU configurations it looks.

Unless they get Eyefinity to work with more than two cards, there's really no point.
 
cpu's do their work fairly similarly that's why having as many common denominators is important when comparing them. video cards; especially ones built upon the unified shader architecture, do their work so differently that one gpu vs one gpu isn't even a reality with them. everyone should know by now that modern gpus are for lack of a better word 'multi core.' and as to preferring dual video card arrays to four, and the 'suckyness' of quad sli or quad crossfire, where does that leave those of us who will likely buy two 5870x2's. must i once again remind everyone, 1x gtx295 = 2x gtx275 and 2x gtx 275 = 2x 4870 1gb. so is 2x 5870 = 2x gtx275? noooooo. its more like 2x 5870>>>>2x gtx275. but we already knew that, right? so what again is the purpose of this article?

The purpose of this article with GTX 295 in there is pretty much pointless.
but I guess they just want another card from nVidia to show how well it perform :p

and again, the scaling on multi-GPU for 5870 seems pretty linear, but RE5 that min fps looks nasty.. I was actually thinking about put my other 5870 into my current rig for CF, I guess there is no need for now until they fix that.
 
The purpose of this article with GTX 295 in there is pretty much pointless.
but I guess they just want another card from nVidia to show how well it perform :p

and again, the scaling on multi-GPU for 5870 seems pretty linear, but RE5 that min fps looks nasty.. I was actually thinking about put my other 5870 into my current rig for CF, I guess there is no need for now until they fix that.

5870 cf isn't quite there yet, but as with ati drivers in the past the cf performance should improve pretty drastically. by the time multi gpu support improves, the price should settle to place where buying two 5870's would be a hard setup to pass on. especially for multi monitor users or gamers with 30's.
 
I would have liked to see how Tri-fire performed with Crysis/Warhead considering it still is the most graphically taxing game.

Also, doesn't enabling AA through CCC cause more of a performance hit than through an in-game engine? and doesn't Batman: AA selectively apply anti-aliasing which increases performance?
 
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-in-3way-crossfirex-review-test/9

if it's anything like the negative scaling with 5770 tri-fire compared to 2x5770 in the above review, i'd say tri-fire wouldn't help at all over xfire unless they optimize the drivers for it in the game.


That negative result appears to be only with Crysis.

I'm sure the multi gpu xfire technology could benefit from improved drivers.

Xfire performance in general with 2 HD5770s looks good though.
 
The GTX295 certainly holds its own vs 2x Xfire 5870. Sure the AMD is faster but you would expect that since it's the new generation. What I didn't expect is how close the gap actually is. The GTX 295 isn't even 2 of Nvidia's best GPU's either.

I'd like to see a Mars GTX295 vs xfire 2x 5870.
 
The GTX295 certainly holds its own vs 2x Xfire 5870. Sure the AMD is faster but you would expect that since it's the new generation. What I didn't expect is how close the gap actually is. The GTX 295 isn't even 2 of Nvidia's best GPU's either.

I'd like to see a Mars GTX295 vs xfire 2x 5870.

Me too!! :cool:
 
That negative result appears to be only with Crysis.

I'm sure the multi gpu xfire technology could benefit from improved drivers.

Xfire performance in general with 2 HD5770s looks good though.

yeah i know, but he was interested in crysis warhead specifically. most other games don't seem to have this issue.
 
Very impressive scaling for 3 GPUs in Crossfire. At 2560x1600 there is ~170% (2.7 times) scaling
over a single HD5870. Which is the only resolution I can image buying 3 $400 GPUs for. I never thought we'd see ~85% scaling per GPU added.

Reading the review was quite irriating though. His numbers are not wrong, but the way he expressed the percentages lacks consistency. You don't change your base when comparing.
 
The GTX295 certainly holds its own vs 2x Xfire 5870. Sure the AMD is faster but you would expect that since it's the new generation. What I didn't expect is how close the gap actually is. The GTX 295 isn't even 2 of Nvidia's best GPU's either.

I'd like to see a Mars GTX295 vs xfire 2x 5870.

I think the real surprising thing is that 3x 5870s use less idle power than a single 295. :eek:

I for one didn't see that coming.
 
The GTX295 certainly holds its own vs 2x Xfire 5870. Sure the AMD is faster but you would expect that since it's the new generation. What I didn't expect is how close the gap actually is. The GTX 295 isn't even 2 of Nvidia's best GPU's either.

I'd like to see a Mars GTX295 vs xfire 2x 5870.

And what are you going to do when the $1600 graphics card loses to the 2x $400 cards? LOL. Mars GTX295 is the worst use of money possible. It's 2x 285s glued together. A 5850 spaniks a 285. A 5870 will therefore beat a 285 without breaking a sweat. 2x5870 > 2x285s. The money you save from going with Crossfire 5870's can be used to getting a 30" Dell from the Outlet store. :)
 
Back
Top