• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3ware Staggered Spinup Question

war9200

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
273
Hi,

In the 3ware manual it states:

Enabling and Setting Up Staggered Spin-up
You can set the number of SAS and SATA drives that will spin up at the same
time and the delay time between drive group spinups. This does not apply to
SAS or SATA drives that are attached to an expander.

With my Norco RPC-4224 when I enable staggered spinup with Hitachi 7K3000 drives it only shows 2 drives and boots as degraded; does anyone know if Staggered Spinup works properly with a Supermicro Chassis or do the drives literally need to be connected to the raid card via fanout connectors for it to work properly?
 
Does your norco have a SAS expander? 3ware staggered spinup always worked fine for me on supermicro chasis (9650se's controller) but those were hooked up directly to the backplain with fan-out cables. I don't see why the chasis would make a difference unless its a SAS expander.
 
Hi,

I'm using a 9750-24i4e and the RPC-4224, when I select staggered spinup, it fails to detect more than 1 or 2 drives at boot-up.

I wonder if the supermicro's I2C interface is needed(?) or some backplanes are not compatible with staggered spinup and others are?
 
I found the problem, there are two methods:

Staggered method. Indicates whether the type of staggered spin-up is ATA-6
or SATA OOB (Out Of Band). By default, when Staggered Spin-up is enabled,
the ATA-6 scheme is used. If your drives support the SATA OOB method,
select that method in 3BM. There is no electronic method for the
controller to know if a drive supports this method, so it must be set
manually. For staggering to work properly, the drives must support the
selected method. This policy can only be set and only shows in 3BM. For
details, see the 3ware Serial ATA RAID Controller User Guide.

The Hitachi drives do NOT like ATA-6 spinup, but OOB works!
Before when I was using spindown (below) my system would go from 250 watts to 800-900 watts every time I woke up the disks, now with this method it does not peak past 400-500 watts during spinup using this method.

Also the NEW 3ware firmware (to be officially released sometime this year) supports spindown when the drives are idle, this takes my system from 400-450 watts to ~240-250 watts!
 
Back
Top