3rd party advice on RMA outcome

Betrayer00GT

Limp Gawd
Hey, guys.

I understand that an 8800GT and an old 8800GTS 640 are reasonably equivalent (96->112SPs, but 128MB more ram and 50% more memory bus width), but I bought a second card for SLI and the second card failed. Now I have an 8800GT RMA replacement and my original 8800GTS 640. Maybe an 8800GT is faster than a GTS640, but not a pair of them. Especially since my eventual goal is 3840X1024 triple monitor SLI.

Unfortunately, I got laid-off on 4/22, so I cannot just get a different/another card and move this 8800GT into a different machine. I am also not going to be moving to triple 19" monitors either, of course. I'll live with 2 for a while just fine, however.

I am wondering if anyone else thinks that RMAing a second card of an SLI setup should make any kind of difference. I paid almost $400 dollars for a second card months after I got the first, because I could afford it at the time, and now my RMA replacement gives me a pair of cards that can only be used separately while neither is close to where I was before the RMA. I'm just screwed? (well, in addition to being unemployed)

Oh, BTW, it is one of the XFX cards in my sig in case anyone didn't notice.

Did you talk to XFX about this already?

No, I found out after business hours today (Friday). They would not even be able to respond until Monday, and I am not even sure I should be upset. I have had my rig turned into a single gpu system, though I spent good money on SLI. Maybe it is unresonable to expect that to matter, though.

I am wanting to know what others think, before I go off and ask for consideration that may make no objective sense (though it makes sense to me, unless someone can show me a way of reasoning that changes that).

Call and talk to them. If they didn't know you had SLI before hand you can hardly fault them for giving you a better card in return. Call them up and explain the situation. They should either let you send back the GT for a GTS or let you RMA you other GTS for another GT. I don't think they will give you to much trouble over it, it is unnacceptable for them to break up an SLI system.

Thanks guys, I was planning to give them a call on Monday. I just don't want to have warped expectations.

Boomhower, that is basically where I'm at, but I don't think they are open on the weekends, and I wanted to see if others shared my expectations. Good point, except that they did know that this was a second card in an SLI setup, I told them in the ticket and in my "computer profile" that they made sure to ask me to update. This is either a minor attention-to-detail issue, or it is simply a policy that the use doesn't matter. Either way, I was going to call on Monday when they are open, but I don't want a warped expectation when I call them. Thanks for your comment. Hopefully others agree.

Well, XFX agrees, so that is awesome. I guess this was just a minor attention to detail issue. They obviously agree with boomhower and I:

We can RMa the other 88GTS for another 8800GT 512 card to get your SLI rig back up and runnning.​

If we upgraded you from an 8800GTS 640MB to an 8800GT 512MB and your second 8800GTS 640MB is XFX as well, we will happily swap out the working 8800GTS 640MB for another 8800GT 512MB card so you can continue to run SLI. (I hope that made sense) If you have any issues at all PM me and I can help.

If we upgraded you from an 8800GTS 640MB to an 8800GT 512MB and your second 8800GTS 640MB is XFX as well, we will happily swap out the working 8800GTS 640MB for another 8800GT 512MB card so you can continue to run SLI. (I hope that made sense) If you have any issues at all PM me and I can help.

Wow, that was very kind. Too bad my card isn't XFX. ;)

Actually, as I indicated, I had the offer of a second 8800GT in my ticket already. I think that is an excellent solution. However, I think I am going to use this as an excuse to finally sell my remaining GTS 640 to a friend with one already who has been saying he is interested in my second card since I got laid-off. I can use the money more than SLI, at the moment. Too bad, but I have other priorities for the moment.

I should be able to get a job, and then a second 8800GT, with in a few months. It will be an XFX card, too.

XFXSupport, thanks for your feedback. I am very pleased with the over all outcome of this RMA. I was just surprised at first, is all. I figured that if the SLI rig was going to be broken up that I would get a heads up before a different model card shipped. Still though, good job. I wasn't yet laid-off when I opened that ticket for the original RMA. Things have changed, and I am still catching up.

Back