• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$3k on a TV

HurtMeP1nty007

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
505
I am in the market to get a new HDTV and my budget is 3grand. I am going to have an xbox 360 as well as an htpc hooked up to it. What would be the best one to get?

(just got a raise so now i can afford to do it :D )
 
Go for the Westinghouse 42" LCDTV 1080P and lots of connections, should be going for less than $2700.

Or the Sceptre 42" LCDTV 1080P, this one is even cheaper, $2,000 if you have a Costco membership.
 
If you want something bigger than 42", you will have to pass up on LCD and go DLP.

I think the current sweet spot is 37-42" for LCD TV. Plus both models are 1080P. You won't find anything bigger than 42" at 1080P for $3,000 ...LCD wise.
 
I'd say right now in the 50" range, you ought to be able to find good name brand plasmas right around 3k or a little more. Generally, Panasonics and Pioneers are held with the highest regard as well as their rebadged bretheren (see avsforum). I got a 50" Toshiba Plasma a few months back for 3200 on a lucky day and love it. In the rear-projection world, I think I saw the 50" Sony SXRD price drop to around 3k recently, and that's about as good as rp gets. If you want even more size for 3k, you'll have to sacrifice some pic quality (see dlp, 3lcd rp)... but then again some of the 1080p rear-proj sets nowadays are pretty good.

If you're not in a hurry, wait till late this year or next and see what SED brings to the table. In any case, if you have some time to research... definitely go dig into the AVSForum and see what you can learn. That's how i did it and I learned a crapload before I bought mine.
 
I wouldn't go for a Westinghouse just because everyone has it. Those with Westinghouse are limited to the budget.
 
i was at costco the other day and saw the vizio p50hdm for 2599. its a 50 inch plasma and has gotten pretty solid reviews. im thinking of jumping on one myself. only downside is there are no tuners...but most people have a cable box anyways, so thats a moot point.
 
One question, do you have the room for a projector and screen? If you want larger than 42" for your price range I think a projector would be a realistic possibility if you have the room.
 
gn0me said:
http://www.avsforum.com/

Has more information that you could ever possibly want in regards to big screen TVs
I was going to post the same... while your there, I recommend spending some time in the "Projectors Under $3500" area and research the Sanyo Z4 or Panasonic 900. Projectors have come a long way for a very little price. Why settle for 44" when you can just as easily and maybe cheaper have 120"?
 
Sams Club has the 2005 Model of one of the Sony 60" Models, LCD based 60" Wide HDTV with Free Stand ( $400 dollar Value ) for $3199.00


This is a very good price
 
Why not go hi-def plasma? Do you guys really love projectors that much? In my experience they are noisy, ugly and usually shitty pic quality......

Altho I suppose for a decent plasma you will probably have to spend more.....
 
Back
Top