3DMark's Time Spy successor, Steel Nomad

Thought the S24 Ultra would have done better!

Screenshot_20240523_160329_3DMark.jpg

Looks to be roughly in GTX 1050 territory, not bad for a phone SoC!
Makes sense. The M4 is blowing it away. Makes me think the iPhone 16 Pro Max is going to really smoke 'em. Of course it's not going to have the thermal mass of the (iPad) so it will throttle madly or feel like a jon-e handwarmer. (or both!)

Makes sense. The M4 is blowing it away. Makes me think the iPhone 16 Pro Max is going to really smoke 'em. Of course it's not going to have the thermal mass of the (iPad) so it will throttle madly or feel like a jon-e handwarmer. (or both!)
Unless Apple is planning to fit the M4 into the iPhone 16, probably not.

Seems like a decent multiplatform benchmark. Here is a 15 Pro Max and I can post a M4 iPad in a bit.

1716517216409.jpeg

Here’s a decent stress test of a M4 iPad running the bench during a zoom call with 30 people and also air playing YouTube to a television while on battery. Not too bad.

1716517473056.jpeg

Man, apparently Qualcomm really put a stinker of a GPU in the Snap7g1. Not that I have any plans whatsoever to game on my Razr but damn I'm getting iGPU envy here lmao

On the dGPU front, I'm currently attempting to repair the voltmod on my A770 then I should be able to post some really big (relatively speaking) numbers :)

I'm tempted to hook up the EVC to the 3090Ti and pump up the volts, it's on a decent loop and has one helluva VRM so I might be able to get some good numbers there too!

Steel Nomad Light on my TR3 3960X / RTX4090 (CPU, RAM, GPU all running stock speeds) was a 20,888 score, lol :)

And given the newness of the benchmark, I was able to check off that "Legendary" Steam achievement with this result. Nice!

After pushing the GPUs, I'm currently at #1 in SN DX12 for 7900XT at 6973pts and #1 for A770 at 3344pts
Both cards volt and power modded and looped.

Not "HWBot official" yet, I'm waiting to put my subs in while I try and break 7K on the 7900XT. Very close.

Oh and I made this abomination (subtitles recommended)

View: https://youtu.be/wsb7kdF44d0

That vid is great. I appreciate the funny, niche content for PC hardware hot rodders. You won't go viral but you're good in my book!!

Superposition is still my favorite even though it's dated.
How about Final Reality? :)

I remember back in 1997 running that on my dual pentium pro 200 with Matrox M3D and it revealed the accelerator's missing D3D features. Badly.

Very good result, congrats 🍻
Your mod and cooling are interesting too, Elmor's thing probably?
Thanx! I like doing the hybrid mods.
And yah Im using an EVC2 for the overvolt and PL lift. RDNA3 has a ton of clock headroom, just needs more PL and voltage- but not even that much voltage!

I "only" ran up to around 1150mV for that session- which benched at 3.3 - 3.4Ghz+ shader clk- but the EVC software was throwing out numbers like 500-600W output just for VDDCR_GFX not counting MCDs, VRAM, losses, etc.

Thanx! I like doing the hybrid mods.
And yah Im using an EVC2 for the overvolt and PL lift. RDNA3 has a ton of clock headroom, just needs more PL and voltage- but not even that much voltage!

I "only" ran up to around 1150mV for that session- which benched at 3.3 - 3.4Ghz+ shader clk- but the EVC software was throwing out numbers like 500-600W output just for VDDCR_GFX not counting MCDs, VRAM, losses, etc.
What kinda hot spot temps did this produce? Were you chilling the water during the run?

What kinda hot spot temps did this produce? Were you chilling the water during the run?
I wasn't watching hotspot, more stuff running in background usually means lower bench scores lol. I'll check that though.
EDIT- with 1130mV + raised PL, hotspot maxed out at 87C (40C delta) during SN run; for comparison at stock volts (1050mV actual) + raised PL, hotspot hit 74C (26C delta).

Ambient water, no chilling. I haven't noticed this card being very temperature-sensitive- at least at the voltage/clock ranges I've reached so far. The 7900XT and 3090Ti in this box share a dedicated GPU loop with 420mm + 280mm + 240mm rads which can handle like 800W+ while keeping decent temps on either/both cards.

Last edited:
Wow you so [H]ard.😁 That cooling loop is crazy. Thanks for the reference points I've been a bit reluctant to push the power envelope on my xtx so far. Now I know that it'll tolerate quite a lot more power than I've given it on ambient water ~420 watts max. Thanks again for the info clock on.

Wow you so [H]ard.😁 That cooling loop is crazy. Thanks for the reference points I've been a bit reluctant to push the power envelope on my xtx so far. Now I know that it'll tolerate quite a lot more power than I've given it on ambient water ~420 watts max. Thanks again for the info clock on.
That's what I am saying! Super fascinating stuff. I am but a mere padowan. :)

That's what I am saying! Super fascinating stuff. I am but a mere padowan. :)
It's taken me 20+ years to get good at this, since the 3DM2001 days :D
My best OC/tuning advice is same as my general life advice:
- be bold
- but know when to be cautious
- observe patterns
- test correlations
- go with your intuition/gut
- learn from others
- accept failure, but not giving up

It's taken me 20+ years to get good at this, since the 3DM2001 days :D
My best OC/tuning advice is same as my general life advice:
- be bold
- but know when to be cautious
- observe patterns
- test correlations
- go with your intuition/gut
- learn from others
- accept failure, but not giving up
and never let the magic blue smoke out

Not bad, guess it's dx12 which is what it defaulted to. Going to get some more life out of this system.
1717040650754.png

Back