3Dfx Rampage testing (2013)

Slot A boards were out during the voodoo2 cards.. I believe I ran a Abit BE6 with my V2 SLI rig back when. The other cards came later so wouldn't they have been testing those on Athlon/P3 rigs?

Slot A boards were out during the voodoo2 cards.. I believe I ran a Abit BE6 with my V2 SLI rig back when. The other cards came later so wouldn't they have been testing those on Athlon/P3 rigs?

Again, no one remembers aside from one rumor about Athlon Slot A. One would think a Socket A would work just fine the timeframe is right as would a Socket 370.

Ok, here is a question for the board members- What were the popular motherboards in the year 2000 with plenty of BIOS tweaking? Perhaps I'll focus on those and I'll get a bit more traction.

Last edited:
Athlon boards as of March 2000 (Anand)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/517

AOpen AK72
ASUS K7M, ASUS K7V-RM
EPoX 7KXA
FIC SD-11
Gigabyte GA-7IX, Gigabyte GA-7VM
Microstar MS-6167, Microstar MS-6195 K7Pro
Soyo SY-K7AIA
Tyan Trinity K7 S2380

Intel Boards, Socket 370, May 2000

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/12-socket-370-motherboards,196.html

Asus CUV4X-M
Azza 694TX
Biostar M6VCG
Elitegroup P6VAP-A+
Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
Gigabyte GA-6VX7-1394
IWill VD133 Pro
Lucky Star 6VA694
MSI MS-6309
QDI Advance 10
Soltek SL-65KV
Soyo SY-7VCA

Perhaps I'll focus on obtaining a few samples from these groups. Cpu's in the 800 mhz range seem to be the norm with intel just starting to roll out the socket 370 interface. AMD had not yet started shipping Socket A cpu's.

Suggested-

Abit kt7

Last edited:
I have a TUSL-2 you can try

and a TUV4X...but I would be wanting that one back

I have a TUSL-2 you can try

and a TUV4X...but I would be wanting that one back

Thank you but I'd have to pass on the first, its an i815 board and I'm just looking for the ones I have listed. The ASUS TUV4X looks interesting, I'd have to do some research.

I have a TYAN S1854. This has a VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset. Would this help you any?

I love this Retro 3DFX stuff. I had a Moster Fusion, and a Voodoo3 3500. The Vodoo3 3500 was in a spare/donor system I gave away, when the friend threw it out I grabbed the Voodo3 3500 and have it in my closet since about 2008

Again, no one remembers aside from one rumor about Athlon Slot A. One would think a Socket A would work just fine the timeframe is right as would a Socket 370.

Ok, here is a question for the board members- What were the popular motherboards in the year 2000 with plenty of BIOS tweaking? Perhaps I'll focus on those and I'll get a bit more traction.

I ran my Slot A EPOX 7KXA+ with a GeForce256 DDR and I had to follow steps/driver/installation sequence from a 5-page manual I got online article just to get a stable install of Win98SE. Imagine adding an unfinished GPU to the mix...

I think if you're going to try to find a good VIA Slot A mobo, try to dig up an ABIT KA7. I used one for a while because of the cache divider. The ASUS K7M was supposed to be good too.

Hey gdonovan,

Splendid job doing what you're doing, very much appreciated. That time I started doing all kinds of modding and overclocking myself and remember those cards very very well. Brings back very good memories no doubt. I just forgot most of the model numbers and stuff but reading all this did bring back some of it :)

I used the EPoX and Soltek the most because of more settings in the bios and overclock stability. That was my experience on them at least with Intel Pentium II's

This is a great thread.
I had a PCI Voodoo card back when.......running Windows ME (shudder)....on a Gateway beige PC trying to get the damn MIDI port working so my son could play racing games.....man, I think it was just before HL1 came out.

I still have a functioning Shuttle box with an Athlon 3500 and an AGP GT 6800 that works like a dream.:D

This is a great thread.
I had a PCI Voodoo card back when.......running Windows ME (shudder)....on a Gateway beige PC trying to get the damn MIDI port working so my son could play racing games.....man, I think it was just before HL1 came out.

I still have a functioning Shuttle box with an Athlon 3500 and an AGP GT 6800 that works like a dream.:D

I have a KT7A Raid box I am bringing back up and will have some pics soon.

I was just going to add, the Abit kt7-raid and then the kt7a-raid was my board of choice back then. Lots of enthusiast interest between the overclockability and the highpoint ata100/raid controller. If I was developing a gaming card back then, I'd be damn sure it worked on that board.

Badass thread, OP.

Love this nostalgia tech. Keep working!

I was just going to add, the Abit kt7-raid and then the kt7a-raid was my board of choice back then. Lots of enthusiast interest between the overclockability and the highpoint ata100/raid controller. If I was developing a gaming card back then, I'd be damn sure it worked on that board.

That board does fall into the timeframe checking reviews, I'll keep an eye out for one.

3dfx use that Mainboard

Attachments

• 10174119-1.jpg
    10174119-1.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 0
Ahh, the days of slot1\a cpu's in their own little cartridge type system. :cry:

To be fair, if your going to necro a thread, doing it on a 3dfx ones gets attention these days! People like us who used those cards and have fond memories eat this stuff up!
Hell yeah. Some of my fondest gaming memories were made with a 3dfx card pre-2001. Until nVIDIA bought them I used nothing else but their "3D accelerators" as they were called in the day after experiencing S3 ViRGE or ATI's 3D Rage II first hand.

My god, early 3D was a shitshow until 3dfx landed with an earth-shattering kaboom... And that includes nVIDIA's first product, the NV1.

A lot of the old threads, if they get necroed, the mods lock them forever. I don't know why. I hope it doesn't happen here. To add some actual value to this post, there is a guy I enjoy on youtube, vswitchzero, that has done repairs on a number of 3dfx cards. He was inspired to start his channel by necroware, another really enjoyable retro YT creator.

A lot of the old threads, if they get necroed, the mods lock them forever. I don't know why. I hope it doesn't happen here. To add some actual value to this post, there is a guy I enjoy on youtube, vswitchzero, that has done repairs on a number of 3dfx cards. He was inspired to start his channel by necroware, another really enjoyable retro YT creator.
Yeah, I hope it doesn't happen here, either. I'll check those channels out when I have time for a breather and can't figure out what to do.

Back