3dfx Making a Comeback?

A) Most of the boards you linked are from around four years ago, when PCI compatibility had been winding down for a while but still existed as a niche for certain sectors.
B) This particular Asus board you've linked screams "industrial sector." Two PS/2 ports, hardwired RS-232, a VGA connector in addition to DVI-D and HDMI, and a PCI slot all indicate this was made for a target market more interested in legacy compatibility than raw performance. That is lent further credibility by the A520 northbridge. I'm currently trying to unload a DFI-ITOX SB600-C socket 1155 board on eBay with six vanilla PCI slots, and have done some research into this market at various times over the years.
C) From around socket AM3+ onward, PCI support on AMD boards is made possible by a PCI->PCIe bridge. That works fine for a comfortable majority of cards that play nicely with current operating systems, but is known to have compatibility wrinkles with certain old cards that try to access resources that were deprecated in the leap to PCI Express. It's more of a "good enough" PCI mimic than a fully conformant implementation.

Neat, a PCI card, now we can play Duke Nukem 3D on a 240Hz display, haha
Look at Batocera on an Odroid N2+, you can do that now.
C36D8A31-AD24-4959-A282-33755A6848A5.jpeg

I did that this past weekend actually. Also had a hacked version of it running on the Sega Genesis through Batocera.

I'd say Zero Tolerance is the better experience on the Genesis though.
Did that one through DosBox.

Look, guys! A tweet scheduled to come out on August 31 says ATi is coming back! Hype!

View attachment 381891

https://www.pcgamer.com/what-if-3dfx-was-coming-back/
ATi never left... They just got 'rebranded'. Not only that they are still right where they belong, just behind Nvidia. Shit, it's been 15 years since the acquisition and I still accidentally refer to AMD's graphics unit as ATi sometimes. That'll happen though when you get down with another companies IP and keep the product line up the same.

Are they going to hire a driver team this time?

Terry M WAS the team. Dude was beast, and an awesome guy. Met him many times, he even worked on my PC at LANwar 18. My 7500LE geeked out playing RTCW on my Gateway VX900 monitor due to something with unsupported resolution/refresh, so he changed up the driver .ini so I could play. Spent like a half hour changing several things. That is customer service. I was a 15/16 year old kid on a shit box of parts that my friend gave me to build my first PC and he did that for me. <3

Terry M WAS the team. Dude was beast, and an awesome guy. Met him many times, he even worked on my PC at LANwar 18. My 7500LE geeked out playing RTCW on my Gateway VX900 monitor due to something with unsupported resolution/refresh, so he changed up the driver .ini so I could play. Spent like a half hour changing several things. That is customer service. I was a 15/16 year old kid on a shit box of parts that my friend gave me to build my first PC and he did that for me. <3
Correction;
Are they going to clone that guy so they can have good drivers on release instead of 6 months later :D
Referring to ATi of old...

Looking at the screenshot, people really felt for a non bluecheck mark one week old account ? Are they common to be company non blue checkmark account outthere ?

Looking at the article it seem not, people did catch up that it was a joke quickly:
In addition, the presentation says Jansen Products can be contacted through a suspicious email address at jansenproducts@arcticmail[.]com. We’ve reached out to the company for clarification, but have yet to hear back. Nevertheless, the lackluster presentation leaves us thinking this Twitter account is part of a prank or scam.

So a Razer wannabe? Looks like a chinese company bought the brand name (if any of this actually materializes.. not holding my breath)

Except Razer has been around this whole time, while 3dfx got left in the dust and gobbled up.

It's a brandname, nothing more. Brands have power, but the smart consumer is on to the cheap chinese shit...

Infinity speakers - Once an amercian made, american owned BRAND. That made a reputation by making great speakers. Bought up by a chinese company, product quality has never rivaled its past self.

Onkyo - Once a respectable quality home theater amp/reciever. They had a good reputation too. Bought up by a chinese company (Pioneer), product quality has never rivaled its past self. For the first few year after pioneer bought them, they were just pioneer receivers with a different faceplate... and they were shit.

Whirlpool appliances - used to be american made, would last for 40 years. Company (brand) sold, now its a cheap knockoff.

There are plenty of other examples.

3dfx helped kick off the 3d accelerator for games market, glquake, unreal, half-life. The voodoo cards were just a frame buffer and texture mapper, they never even got to the point of having a T&L engine.
People will of course have good memories of those early games. But you can play those on new computers.. you don't need gimpy old tech to play the old games.

So a Razer wannabe? Looks like a chinese company bought the brand name (if any of this actually materializes.. not holding my breath)

Except Razer has been around this whole time, while 3dfx got left in the dust and gobbled up.

It's a brandname, nothing more. Brands have power, but the smart consumer is on to the cheap chinese shit...

Infinity speakers - Once an amercian made, american owned BRAND. That made a reputation by making great speakers. Bought up by a chinese company, product quality has never rivaled its past self.

Onkyo - Once a respectable quality home theater amp/reciever. They had a good reputation too. Bought up by a chinese company (Pioneer), product quality has never rivaled its past self. For the first few year after pioneer bought them, they were just pioneer receivers with a different faceplate... and they were shit.

Whirlpool appliances - used to be american made, would last for 40 years. Company (brand) sold, now its a cheap knockoff.

There are plenty of other examples.

3dfx helped kick off the 3d accelerator for games market, glquake, unreal, half-life. The voodoo cards were just a frame buffer and texture mapper, they never even got to the point of having a T&L engine.
People will of course have good memories of those early games. But you can play those on new computers.. you don't need gimpy old tech to play the old games.

Whole thing was a prank.

Oh man I loved that card too.. happy memories of the all in wonder model.

Nice! Mine was the all in wonder model as well. I remember it came bundled with Morrowind and Soldier of Fortune II, both of those looked amazing on that card.

Sadly I killed it by pushing a ridiculous OC (400+mhz...), that was back in the day when a misguided OC attempt could cause real damage.

Nice! Mine was the all in wonder model as well. I remember it came bundled with Morrowind and Soldier of Fortune II, both of those looked amazing on that card.

Sadly I killed it by pushing a ridiculous OC (400+mhz...), that was back in the day when a misguided OC attempt could cause real damage.

Yeah I remember when the 9700 pro came out, it blew everything out of the water back then and was the card to have. I wanted to get one but had just upgraded my computer and didnt have the cash for it so settled for a 9500 pro instead, still an awesome card and a huge upgrade from my GF 4. Saved up and got the 9800 Pro when it came out though, and used that card for a long time before my next upgrade.

Back