3d vision tips

Ghoststalker

Limp Gawd
I just ordered a pair of 3d vision 2 glasses which will be arriving in a few days. Can anyone provide me with tips/details on how to make the most of 3d gaming? It'll be my first time trying it out.

Are you doing single monitor or multi?

As long as you recognize that you'll get about half of the performance as you would from 2D, you'll be fine. It's pretty neat. Just don't expect too much. I used it once and the glasses now sit in another room in a drawer. :) It is also fun to show your friends as it is pretty awesome. I just can't stand the framerate hit. :)

Nice. Yeah it's pretty easy to do. It has matured quite a bit. Other than the obvious (120hz screen, dual-link DVI cable) - you'll be up and running in no time. I recommend Crysis 2. It's really cool in 3D.

Is there a way to enable the drive options for it? I can't seem to find any 680m drivers that will let me turn on 3d on my laptop and it's external display.

Is there a way to enable the drive options for it? I can't seem to find any 680m drivers that will let me turn on 3d on my laptop and it's external display.

Well, the question would be: how are you connecting the external display? Dual link DVI-D or DisplayPort to Dual link DVI-D (or DisplayPort to DisplayPort on compatibile monitors like the BenQ XL2420T/TX) are the only two ways to get 120hz. If you're using HDMI - you're limited to 60hz. Hence why there is probably not an option.

Well, the question would be: how are you connecting the external display? Dual link DVI-D or DisplayPort to Dual link DVI-D (or DisplayPort to DisplayPort on compatibile monitors like the BenQ XL2420T/TX) are the only two ways to get 120hz. If you're using HDMI - you're limited to 60hz. Hence why there is probably not an option.

I am going Displayport to Dual Link DVI (with an adapter that has USB power for it), so i can get it to 1080p@120Hz, but I can't enable 3d vision without the driver implementaiton.

I am going Displayport to Dual Link DVI (with an adapter that has USB power for it), so i can get it to 1080p@120Hz, but I can't enable 3d vision without the driver implementaiton.

Ah, then you're set. Must be a driver issue, as you said. The 680M is still relatively new. Perhaps something will come out for it. Does it work for the 580M?

Yeah, it works for the 580m, and all the other 6 series GPUs (675 and such)... So lame I can't get it to work before my deployment.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it helps to increase convergence or some such setting? Anyone know what I'm referring to?

I'm getting an error:

Error in Stereo Driver
NvAPI_Stereo_isActivated() returned 0 after stereo was enabled by default with Settings -> setDefaultStartupMode(true).

Any idea what I should do? It's like the active shutters aren't working when I launch the test application.

I'm getting an error:

Error in Stereo Driver
NvAPI_Stereo_isActivated() returned 0 after stereo was enabled by default with Settings -> setDefaultStartupMode(true).

Any idea what I should do? It's like the active shutters aren't working when I launch the test application.

Have you tried a fresh driver install? When I first got on board with 3D vision isn't wasn't as plug and play as I had hoped for. Starting with fresh drivers seemed to help.

As for your original question... something to keep in mind... not every game is well suited for 3D. Some games, it looks really awesome. A lot of games have technical problems. Some that can be overlooked, others that make the overall experience worse. And then there are some that don't have technical problems, but just don't seem to feel right. In my experience, first person shooters just don't feel right in 3D. Aiming is more difficult, things don't look quite right, and they give me headaches. Third person games though... they often look really great. Trine looks incredible in 3D. I recall Darksiders looking really great too.

I tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them, it doesn't appear to work. I can't figure out what is going on. The emitter goes bright green, the display switches to 3d, but the goggles do nothing ;)

Back