3D Realms "Bewildered" by Max Payne Flick

HardOCP News

[H] News
3D Realms’ CEO had a few choice things to say about the Max Payne movie that came out this weekend. I know I am going to sound like a dick here but the first thing that came to my mind when I read this is “Shut up and finish Duke Nukem’ Forever!!” No one at 3DRealms should be allowed to go to the movies until that damn game is done!

Miller said, "A big problem with the film is that we do not really know what is driving Max until we see the flashback scene showing him coming home and finding his family murdered. In the game, we put this scene right at the front of the story for a reason!

I have to agree that the movie Max Payne could of been much better. I went to see it opening day and was promptly disappoint with the content and how it did not follow the game too well.

What? A video game movie that didn't follow the game's story line and sucked? Now that's just impossible, who would have ever guessed???

i am hoping that the directors version will be more close to the game

i think people should just shut up about Duke Nukem, since the games are ancient-gameplay pieces of shit. it is going to end up like Doom 3/Unreal 2, etc and be all graphics with the same stupid, boring gameplay.

i think people should just shut up about Duke Nukem, since the games are ancient-gameplay pieces of shit. it is going to end up like Doom 3/Unreal 2, etc and be all graphics with the same stupid, boring gameplay.

You shut your dirty mouth! :eek:

Ha.

New HardOCP video.

Kyle bring your camera to a movie theater, record it, give us an interview before, show movie, and your final thoughts afterwards!

I know they is probably some law saying you shouldnt, but IMHO Kyle=law!

The movie left me a WTF feeling at the end...

I mean a whole movie could have been done just fine based on the narrative portions of Max Payne alone with only a few key gun fights be choreographed. Instead we end up with a narrative that made no sense.

You should just shut up about duke nukem. You obviously missed the whole fucking point to duke nukem so crawl back under your rock, please.

But how was Marky Mark as Max Payne...if he did a decent job I will go see it, if not, screw them I am pirating it!

The simple fact the movie is PG-13 says it all.

Its been a long time since I played max payne...but I remember it being extremely gritty. I recall a particular scene in the game where you follow a trail of a baby's blood.

Recreating such a gritty game as a PG-13 movie is laughable.

Meh, Duke Nukem Forever? it's never going to happen... at least they're true to their word unlike those bullshiters that came up with that Neverending Story movie nonsense....y

Doom3 kicked ass... what do you mean same gameplay... if i remember correctly in doom1 and 2 you CANT LOOK UP AND DOWN... same gameplay shyeah right... i mean shit you didnt even play doom and doom2 with a mouse... and doom3 had an awesome atmosphere amd a plot that built up and got pretty intense (you know if you got into the game instead of going bah doom3 thats gonna suck)... yeah Unreal 2 was shit, but so was the original, 2004 and whatever... they all sucked.. not to mention how polished doom3 was.. i couldnt find any digital flaws unlike most other modern 3D games and it never ever crashes... i put my PC in my 'windowless' walk-in wardrobe for that game... damn it got hot in there........ shit hot... :p

I'm "bewildered" that a company whose biggest asset is a piece of vaporware is still in business!

The simple fact the movie is PG-13 says it all.

Its been a long time since I played max payne...but I remember it being extremely gritty. I recall a particular scene in the game where you follow a trail of a baby's blood.

Recreating such a gritty game as a PG-13 movie is laughable.

Ditto, as soon as I saw that those bastards had decided to jam Max Payne into a PG-13 rating I knew the movie was going to suck.

A duke nukem movie eh? I'm sure it will be terrible, I just watch the 5th element and pretend it's duke nukem the movie. They won't be able to beat that anyway

I never played the game so I went into the movie without knowing what I should be expecting. From that standpoint I thought it was an ok movie. It wasn't the best movie I've seen, but I was far from the worst. Sure there was a few parts where I thought they could have done a little better but I feel that way about most movies. I'd give it 3.75 stars.

They didn't wait till halfway throught the movie to tell you anything. They tell you shortly into the movie that his wife and baby were killed and the person was never found. You knew right way why he was out hunting people. The only thing you didn't find out till later was why she was killed. I liked how there was some mystery and how he didn't look at everything and start putting things together till years after the murder occured. I hate movies where a cop's family is murdered and an hour later they have put everything together and the case is solved. I felt the movies was more believable in that aspect than other movies.

I have to agree that the movie Max Payne could of been much better. I went to see it opening day and was promptly disappoint with the content and how it did not follow the game too well.
even the MP movie preview told me to steer clear least i be disappointed with it. really after seeing how well Hollywood did with taking Doom to the big screen i will definitely not run out to see another video game to motion picture convert first thing ever again with the exception of perhaps American McGee's Alice as I expect him to ensure it remain true to the game.

sure hope that the Wolfenstein movie doesn't get dorked up but we'll see if Roger Avary ever gets his act together.

- Robert (PmR)DIJ

Was in the spirit of the game but that is the most I can say. I kept waiting for some damn bullet time and pill popping! They had one slow-mo scene in the movie that I can remember, other than that max just got lucky. I was atleast expecting some bullet time when he took the supper drug, no such luck though.

Kyle <3 IT was not George it was Scott Miller PLEASE DON'T SMITE ME *COWERS IN FEAR*

Heh, he knows that...but since George is the man in charge (and can take away the kids' movie passes until the game is done) the comment was directed towards him.

Meh I thought it was a pretty good movie. And I also thought it followed the game pretty well as well. Just like a book you cant go to a movie expecting it to be a carbon copy of the game.

And they told you within like the first 5 mins of the movie what the deal with Max Payne was...

Meh I thought it was a pretty good movie. And I also thought it followed the game pretty well as well. Just like a book you cant go to a movie expecting it to be a carbon copy of the game.

And they told you within like the first 5 mins of the movie what the deal with Max Payne was...

I fully agree. Too many people expect to go in and see a movie based on a game or book and for it to be 100% like what they know. Most books / games have a story that takes longer than 90 - 100 minutes to tell. So they cut some stuff out, change some stuff around to get the story to a shorter version. They also try to open it up to people other than just those that already know the story. Hense in this case the PG-13 rating, its the same thing they did to Live Free or Die Hard. They want the movie to be veiwable by teens also, not just adults so they cut out a few f words, maybe tone down a scene or two and get it to the PG-13 rating. I've seen a few R rated / unrated versions of movies that ended up being PG-13 and other than a few very minor changes I never noticed much of a difference. Biggest difference I seen so far is a movie that had about a 2 minute scene cut from the movie. Although it played no part in the story other than to tell why a certain minor character that was introduced for a few seconds was never seen again in the movie, so I thought it actually was better with it missing. But by them making these changes to make the movies PG-13 they allow for a larger audience to see the movie and allow for them to make more money.

People just need to realize that when a book or game is turned into a movie it is going to be different. The same as a game based on a movie. They need the story line of the game to be longer than an hour and a half so they will add a lot of extra stuff to the game to make it take 8+ hours. Although if you want to pay $60 for an 1 - 2 hour game then you go right ahead. Same as a 20 hour long movie, if you want to watch one then you go right ahead. Most people aren't with you though. So a game story line is going to be redone to be an hour or two long, same as book.

With that said some game to movie or book to movie adaptations are way off of their source, in which case I do think is wrong.

Pretty much spot on what I was thinking. Even with the pg-13 vs R thing. A rated R version of this movie wouldnt have added a whole lot of extra depth but it would have slimmed down their profit margins. A lot of these arm chair movie critics in here just dont seem to understand this.

They sold the rights and never even read the script? No wonder it sucked, and no wonder DNF isn't done.

I didn't see the movie but the guy who did Sin City would have made an interesting movie?

didn't the star of this movie admit to not even playing the game or being AWARE of it before he was approached with the script?

fuck marky mark.

and fuck 3D realms if they think they can do anything but stay in their holes and code. if those bastards don't finish duke nukem forever.... I'll have to rip off their heads and shit down their necks (yeah, that's right, suck on that reference!! lol)

I thought it was OK. Good enough for a matinee.
The biggest plus: Not directed by Uwe Bolls! :D

didn't the star of this movie admit to not even playing the game or being AWARE of it before he was approached with the script?

fuck marky mark.

And? Whats your point? So he doesn't sit around all day playing video games. I haven't played the game either, I've heard of it a few times but knew nothing about it. I actually forgot it was game when I first started hearing about the movie. It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th article that I read when it stated "based on the game" that I remember that it was a game.

Being approached with a script for a story based on a game you never played is no different than being approached with a script for a new story you hever heard of.

Probably, but that dont change the fact that duke nukem has never been about stellar gameplay or graphics. Duke Nukem is about attitude and whoopin ass.

what are you talking about Duke3D was cutting edge gfx and gameplay for its time... it had many advantages over Doom, you can jump, you can aim up and down, you can have two platforms above each other (kinda 3D maps, doom had 2D maps) and the gameplay was ahead of doom, shrink rays, freeze guns.... and dont forget the strippers...

what are you talking about Duke3D was cutting edge gfx and gameplay for its time... it had many advantages over Doom, you can jump, you can aim up and down, you can have two platforms above each other (kinda 3D maps, doom had 2D maps) and the gameplay was ahead of doom, shrink rays, freeze guns.... and dont forget the strippers...

Ill tell you what you make a poll asking what people remember about that game, whether its the graphics or duke nukem himself.

Ill tell you what you make a poll asking what people remember about that game, whether its the graphics or duke nukem himself.

yeah but my point is that it was still cutting-edge back then.... you think if they released the original Duke3D today (first release pretend it was never released before) with its 486 requirements that it would sell AT ALL?? I mean even 1 copy?

personally.. i remember blowing shit up with RPG more than any of Duke's comments...

the only line i can remember is the "its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and im all outta gum"... and thats because i'd edit the config files and test out the new settings on the first level....

Eat shit and die.

Back