• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

3960X + Rampage IV build

totentanz

n00b
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
58
How does this look for a build? I'd like to OC to 4.5Ghz if possible.

cpu: Intel 3960X
cooler: CORSAIR H100
mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
video: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970
case: SILVERSTONE Temjin Series TJ11B
memory: 2x CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) total 64GB
power: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W Power Supply
ssd: 250GB Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH250A2K5 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
 
1. I would not do 60x unless you know for sure you want the extra 100 mhz for the extra $400-$500

2. You will not get 64GB from 8x4 Dimms that is only 32GB

3.You cant get a better PSU, well maybe, but that thing is awesome.

4. Consider the Crucial M4 256GB drive over the Intel? No specific reason. Its just a really nice drive.

Other than that. Great Build and the H100 will be more than enough to cool a 30K/60X processor. They make the same exact heat as one another.
 
Why not save the 400 bucks and go with the 3930K? The psu seems a bit overkill for that setup as well.

Will the 3930 overclock like the 3960?

I plan on adding a Raid 0+1 with 6 drives as well as a couple more video cards, so I think the extra power will be handy.
 
1. I would not do 60x unless you know for sure you want the extra 100 mhz for the extra $400-$500

2. You will not get 64GB from 8x4 Dimms that is only 32GB

3.You cant get a better PSU, well maybe, but that thing is awesome.

4. Consider the Crucial M4 256GB drive over the Intel? No specific reason. Its just a really nice drive.

Other than that. Great Build and the H100 will be more than enough to cool a 30K/60X processor. They make the same exact heat as one another.

2. Oh, I plan to get 8x8 DIMMs for 64GB. Is there any advance to getting 1866 memory? It's $500/32GB compared to $200/32GB for the 1600 stuff.

4. What is the fastest, most reliable SSD these days? I put Intel because I've heard they are the most reliable. Still true? And is there any difference between the 510 and 520 series?

Will the H100 cooler play nice with the TJ11 case?
 
2. Oh, I plan to get 8x8 DIMMs for 64GB. Is there any advance to getting 1866 memory? It's $500/32GB compared to $200/32GB for the 1600 stuff.

4. What is the fastest, most reliable SSD these days? I put Intel because I've heard they are the most reliable. Still true? And is there any difference between the 510 and 520 series?

Will the H100 cooler play nice with the TJ11 case?

You won't really be able to run at 1866 it will downclock your ram when all slots are filled. Agreed on the 60X not being worth it, 100Mhz and 3MB L3 cache isn't worth the extra and they perform similar. Its more of a "winning the silicon lottery" deal, and its not worth paying the extra 400 dollars to try imo. If you have the money go ahead, but in terms of gaining 1-2% maybe over the 30K, its not worth it.

Most of the time your memory will be downclocked to 1333 or something when all dimms are filled, i think you could possibly get 1600 but 1866 with all dimms and a healthy overclock on a 60x is a pipedream imo. You won't see much difference between 1600 and 1866 though.

As for the SSD, go for something marvell or samsung based. Crucial M4, Corsair Performance Pro, Samsung 830, or Plextor M3 series. You can't go wrong with any of those imo and i would just go with whatever is cheaper. I'd say the best out of all of them would be the first two though. Intel still has awesome drives, but they're usually very expensive compared to other offerings and marvell/samsung controllers are very reliable and have a good track record.
 
The H100 has thermal paste pre-applied. I'm using that for now on my 3960X, but haven't done any OC stuff yet.

I'd personally stick with 1600MHz ram; I doubt there's much of a difference especially considering it's quad channel already.

As for the 3930k vs. 3960X: get whatever your budget permits. I wanted to go with a 3930K, but had to shell out for the 3960X because of the stock woes.

SSD: I did consider Crucial's like but went with a Corsair ForceGT. Newegg had a good sale on them when I ordered parts. Crucial's are good though.
 
Ok, I'll stick with 1600Mhz RAM.

So with the H100, no thermal paste required?

Is there a better motherboard than the Asus Rampage 4 that can handle 64 (8x8)GB?

SSD I think I'll go with the Crucial M4.

Also, what's the best RAID controller out there?
 
Well no you do not need TIM for the H100. However if you want to clean it of and use an even better TIM I HIGHLY recommend IC7 Diamond paste as it is made of industrial grade micronized diamond powder and a solution to float the substance in. It has a very high thermal transfer rate and is 100% non conductive unlike those other silver and metal based TIMs which can cause a shit load of problems if it bleeds onto other components.

8x8GB is awesome however you will not overclock any CHIP that high with that much ram installed.

I can get my 3930K to 5.1ghz but I have to pump alot of vcore to get it to post and urn stable with all 8 slots filled. I have 32GB in 8x4 Corsair 1600. XMP Profile will allow 1600mhz all day long and rock solid stable at any clock speed.

I like the Crucial series because they are very very very fast on Random IO which is what matters. Not sequential. Sequential looks good on a chart but translates poorly to application and gaming performance if you have low random IO. The intels are nice but why when you can meet the same level of quality in a crucial or other marvel based controlled drive.

Best raid controller bang for the buck is going to be the LSI Megaraid 9280 4i series. Or you can PM me and well discuss an Adaptec 6805 with battery module which is also very fast and powerful. I might be able to slam you a great deal and save you a ton of money compared to buying a NIB raid controller from an online vendor for well over 550-600 dollars.

As far as everything else goes. I do not know alot about that case you are referencing but if it is a full size ATX case it will work fine. The H80 is also a great cooler and easily cooled my 3930K at 4.5ghz all day long no matter the load and only uses one fan slot as opposed to two. I have sold my H80 though and I am now back to full custom water cooled loop.

Good luck and send me a PM if interested in talking about raid cards.
 
The RAM is going to be a limiting factor. Is there some particular reason you think more RAM = better computer? Why not put 16GB in (4x4 or 8x2) and pocket the difference? Unless you are running multiple RAM Disk installations or need to operate several very powerful virtual machines that much RAM will go unused, and in the process will bottleneck your performance.
 
Because the more system RAM you computer has = The More ladies will hit on you :p Like oh look at him he has 32GB system ram, my old BF had like 8GB system ram like OMG, word up GF! Better get him quick or sumhthin...?
 
Because the more system RAM you computer has = The More ladies will hit on you :p Like oh look at him he has 32GB system ram, my old BF had like 8GB system ram like OMG, word up GF! Better get him quick or sumhthin...?

Dont hate on this dude because he can afford 64GB of RAM.

Why do people buy Ferrari? Because they can!
 
For TIM, I'd go Indigo EXTREME

I will second that. But the problem with Indigo is once you remove the chip for something else in the future, the indigo is done for. You have to purchase another application.

Also read the directions and make sure you burn the indigo in properly.

Also there is not an indigo kit for the socket 2011 yet. They just came out with the one for 1155 after one year. It may be quite some time before we can use that.
 
I can't remember the name, but there is another company that uses the exact same product. let me find it.......

HERE it's called T1000 and they have socket 2011 support and offers 4-5 degrees C lower on Load than Arctic Silver 5
 
Last edited:
I will second that. But the problem with Indigo is once you remove the chip for something else in the future, the indigo is done for. You have to purchase another application.

Also read the directions and make sure you burn the indigo in properly.

Also there is not an indigo kit for the socket 2011 yet. They just came out with the one for 1155 after one year. It may be quite some time before we can use that.

There is a model for socket 2011 now. Available at FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs.

I don't like that sometimes you have to lap your CPU and heatsink to completely remove Indigo Xtreme.
 
Dont hate on this dude because he can afford 64GB of RAM.

Why do people buy Ferrari? Because they can!

Maybe he should buy a Limo or a Semi Truck instead of a Ferrari.

Because More Memory = More Space, not More Speed

And I'm not hating on him, I just think you should know how much is needed and not go crazy overkill if possible.
 
There is a model for socket 2011 now. Available at FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs.

I don't like that sometimes you have to lap your CPU and heatsink to completely remove Indigo Xtreme.

With what a GrindeR? Jeebus! :D I hate safely removing year old thermal paste, that can be a pain.
 
Maybe he should buy a Limo or a Semi Truck instead of a Ferrari.

Because More Memory = More Space, not More Speed

And I'm not hating on him, I just think you should know how much is needed and not go crazy overkill if possible.


Well I wasn't saying it would be faster. But.....yeah 64gb is like a Mac truck hahaha
 
P1020417.jpg
 
Don't get the ax1200 if you value silence. I'd go with the Seasonic X-1250 instead. Or you could get the Seasonic 1000 watt platinum if you're not going above Tri-fire.
 
It's his money. If I had the money, I'd get a 3960X too.

THe problem with getting a 3960x right now.... is that soon in the next few weeks or months Intel is going to release the 3990x for the same price that is even better haha
 
Don't get the ax1200 if you value silence. I'd go with the Seasonic X-1250 instead. Or you could get the Seasonic 1000 watt platinum if you're not going above Tri-fire.

HUH???/

WTF.jpg


This is one of the most silent power supply units I have ever owned and I own 2 of them. I think my cell phone is louder powered off than this PSU.
 
HUH???/

WTF.jpg


This is one of the most silent power supply units I have ever owned and I own 2 of them. I think my cell phone is louder powered off than this PSU.

You must have gotten one of the good ones. The fan alone is 26 dB which ISN'T silent. I got one that was so loud I sent it back and got a Seasonic X-1250, couldn't be happier. Lots of reviews on newegg with people complaining of the ax1200 being noisy.

When I still had the ax1200 I took videos to compare with my seasonic 1000 platinum , http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038356271&postcount=19
 
Last edited:
Again, his money...

Right but I am not saying he should not get the 60x to save money. I am saying he should wait and get a better processor. Intel has rumored to be releasing this soon in fact. That is all. End of it.
 
Back
Top