3900x, Ubuntu & 3600mhz ram.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
So I've had 2x16GB (single rank) ddr4-3000 working fine on my 3900x/crosshair VI for a while.

I've replaced this with 2x8G ddr4-3600 cas16 and about once every day or two a program crashes (seems to usually be Xorg) and I get this in the logs:

Code:
[22729.576327] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[22729.576331] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[22729.576336] [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:71:0) MC27_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|SyndV|-|-|-]: 0x982000000002080b
[22729.576339] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x0001002e00000500, Syndrome: 0x000000005a020001
[22729.576341] [Hardware Error]: Power, Interrupts, etc. Ext. Error Code: 2, Link Error.
[22729.576342] [Hardware Error]: cache level: L3/GEN, mem/io: IO, mem-tx: GEN, part-proc: SRC (no timeout)

So is it
1) Bad ram
2) Bad cpu
3) CPU just can't handle 3600mhz cas16?

Motherboard is an X370 board (crosshair VI). This has the T-topology layout so maybe 3600 w/ 2 sticks just doesn't work on this box? Possible?
I could swap these 2 sticks to my windows i5-8400 box I suppose....

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
You might want to increase your memory voltage. It's doubtful that anything's bad. These boards and CPU's are simply fickle when it comes to compatibility. What RAM is it?

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
You might want to increase your memory voltage. It's doubtful that anything's bad. These boards and CPU's are simply fickle when it comes to compatibility. What RAM is it?

In the short term I've moved this to my i5-8400 box to see if anything pops up...If nothing pops up in a week or so of gaming/playing/load I am going to move this back to my 3900x box.
I was thinking maybe with t-top I'm being too optimistic on the speed I can reach...

Edit: Looks like there is a new bios out as well. I'm on 7704...Maybe the new AGESA code helps?

Ram is:
Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4W (White)

Last edited:

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
In the short term I've moved this to my i5-8400 box to see if anything pops up...If nothing pops up in a week or so of gaming/playing/load I am going to move this back to my 3900x box.
I was thinking maybe with t-top I'm being too optimistic on the speed I can reach...

Edit: Looks like there is a new bios out as well. I'm on 7704...Maybe the new AGESA code helps?

Ram is:
Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4W (White)

The new AGESA code might help you. It might also make things worse.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I'd definitely double check with memtest to make sure your memory is stable IN THAT SYSTEM.

I was thinking that your motherboard might be holding you back with the higher memory speed, but maybe not. That's one board I haven't used. I'd almost wager that all three parts, the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, are all good independently, but for some reason don't like working well together. The T-topology might have something to do with it.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Welcome to AMD Memory Compatibility Bingo(tm)

[may the odds be ever in your favor]

Lol...It's not THAT bad. It's not like it doesn't work at all. I bet with a 500 series motherboard it would work fine ;).

There must be something with the t-topology holding memory back because just about everyone switched to daisy chain in the 400/500 boards. I'm not an engineer though just a pragmatist.

IdiotInCharge

NVIDIA SHILL
OR he could just use ram that's listed in the mobo compatibility table. It's not rocket science.
You seen what memory availability looks like?

It's pretty shitty over here in the 'States. Very difficult to get your 'preferred' kit. I've been looking for 2x32GB 3600C16 kits to drop into my Intel system that would be probably kosher if I dropped them into an AMD system later, and well, they usually go for ~US$350+.

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
You seen what memory availability looks like?

It's pretty shitty over here in the 'States. Very difficult to get your 'preferred' kit. I've been looking for 2x32GB 3600C16 kits to drop into my Intel system that would be probably kosher if I dropped them into an AMD system later, and well, they usually go for ~US$350+.
That's hardly the point though. You have to follow the compatibility table or take responsibility for the problems. It's not AMDs problem if you can't use the same kit with a competitions product...

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
That's hardly the point though. You have to follow the compatibility table or take responsibility for the problems. It's not AMDs problem if you can't use the same kit with a competitions product...

It's not AMD's problem either way. It's on the board manufacturer. It doesn't take a genius to realize that they can't possibly test every set of memory that could possibly be available over the life of the board. But with essentially only three manufacturers of RAM ICCs, you can make pretty good inferences as to whether or not something will work based on which ICCs are in it.

I can't remember the last time I actually looked at the QVL. I never had a serious enough problem to warrant it.

Last edited:

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
It's not AMD's problem either way. It's on the board manufacturer. It doesn't take a genius to realize that they can't possibly test every set of memory that could possibly be available over the life of the board. But with essentially only three manufacturers of RAM ICCs, you can make pretty good inferences as to whether or not something will work based on which ICCs are in it.

I can't remember the last time I actually looked at the QVL. I never had a serious enough problem to warrant it.
Yet the topic is now...

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Yet the topic is now...

Be my guest if you want to hunt down 3-year-old SKUs just so you can find something on the QVL list, especially for the OPs board. I just looked it up. The QVL has not been updated since 2017.

Do you also only buy SSDs off of the QVL or power supplies that have been tested with that motherboard? If you look on the CH6 support page, you can find the devices that ASUS notes are compatible. Once again though, a list from 2017.

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
Be my guest if you want to hunt down 3-year-old SKUs just so you can find something on the QVL list, especially for the OPs board. I just looked it up. The QVL has not been updated since 2017.

Do you also only buy SSDs off of the QVL or power supplies that have been tested with that motherboard? If you look on the CH6 support page, you can find the devices that ASUS notes are compatible. Once again though, a list from 2017.
Nice straw man there. I'm not the one having problems. Just buy junk if you want... But don't blame others if it doesn't work. It's not hard at all to find 3 year old components normally. Hardware development has become quite stagnant.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
So I've replaced my windows box ( intel i5-8400/Z370) box with a R5-3600 & an X570 board & moved the ram there. Will see if I get different results. I'm fine with the current box @ 4 * 8G ddr4-3200 cas16. Don't think it's on the QVL but haven't seen a single crash since I swapped.

I think QVLs are useful if you buy a board within say 6 mo. after it's released. Not really useful after that. I"m not blaming the board or amd or anything. Just trying to see if I can get it working. Technically no DDR4-3600 is "within spec" for ryzen AFAIK, but AMD still had it in some slides at one point that it was a best bang for buck.

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Lol...It's not THAT bad. It's not like it doesn't work at all. I bet with a 500 series motherboard it would work fine ;).

There must be something with the t-topology holding memory back because just about everyone switched to daisy chain in the 400/500 boards. I'm not an engineer though just a pragmatist.
These were my thoughts as well. I was actualy reading many t-top boards have trouble with hittig much more than 3433 or so...so it might just not be possible with that combo.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
These were my thoughts as well. I was actualy reading many t-top boards have trouble with hittig much more than 3433 or so...so it might just not be possible with that combo.

Tighten the timings then. Should be pretty close in performance if you can get 3200 with Cas 14.