39" monitor was too big. Anyone else

Auxon

n00b
So I just upgraded my monitor to a 4k 39" TV. While the real estate on the desktop was phenomenal, the TV is just too big (I sit about 3.5' away). I'm going to return the TV.

Has anyone else had this issue?

P.S. I have a total of 26 messages in 9.9 years. Have I set some kind of 'biggest lurker' record?

I remember when I used to be able to post in the For Sale thread... ahh, those were the days ; )

It's not really an "issue", it's more a matter of taste. I've known people who are ok with placing ridiculous 40-50" TVs as their monitors while sitting less than 5 feet away and they were perfectly content with such setups.

I personally love the size but I have a standup desk and find myself physically moving left to right at times to do different things.

Actually ends up as a way to stay more active

I use a triple monitor setup for my day to day system. Currently, it consists of two 27" ASUS 1920x1080 monitors and one 28" Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor. I also have a Seiki 39" on a different system in another room.

But no, I have no issues using such a setup,........

that's why we havd pc monitors to use them, not TVs. just buy a monitor and you'll be fine and use the tv for watching shows and shit ;)

"too big". That's not the real reason you're returning it, is it? It may be the root cause, but have you identified which of its ramifications it is that make the PC too big for you?

I myself sit 80cm to 1m from my 39", and I have two other screens next to it. I've only had it for 3 days now, but so far I'm liking it.

Yeah it starts being a problem for me I wear glasses too at 24" anything over that I move my eyes too much it's not a problem at greater distance 27" for my PS4.

P.S. I have a total of 26 messages in 9.9 years. Have I set some kind of 'biggest lurker' record?

I remember when I used to be able to post in the For Sale thread... ahh, those were the days ; )
Nah, there was someone else who had less posts than you and about the same or longer membership duration. Can't remember who it was.

Don't think of it as a TV, think of it as having four 24" monitors to work with without the hassle of actually having four 24" monitors lol. You can size all your windows the same as they were before, except now you can have 5 of them open at once.

Don't think of it as a TV, think of it as having four 24" monitors to work with without the hassle of actually having four 24" monitors lol. You can size all your windows the same as they were before, except now you can have 5 of them open at once.
More like 4 19" 1080p monitors (39/2)...
The 50" Seiki is 4 25" 1080p monitors, though, much more comfy for the eyes! :D

Nope. Get used to it. :D

actually this is good advice... I had to get used to using a 40" (coming from a 24")

Any larger and it would have been too wide where I would need to turn my head instead of my eyes.

A good chair that you can lean back in helps too.

I can relate. Even a 27" 1440p is a bit big to me, since I dislike looking at the screen from an angle. I seem to prefer two or three smaller monitors, all angled towards my face.

I can relate. Even a 27" 1440p is a bit big to me, since I dislike looking at the screen from an angle. I seem to prefer two or three smaller monitors, all angled towards my face.

I agree, my own 7-monitor setup is curved precisely for that reason. Having said that 3 of my monitors are 30" 1600p so for me size isn't quite the same issue :D

For gaming 39" is pretty great, way more immersive than a 27 or 30" monitor I had previously. I don't know if like 40-42" would be better, but 39" is definitely not too big.

For desktop use 39", at normal viewing distance of like 24-30", can appear to be too much. But I'd argue it only seems like too much if you're laying out windows out poorly. If you constantly go back and forth from one edge the screen to the other it'll seem too big, but just don't do that. Organize windows to minimize this.

You might argue that you shouldn't need to do that, that with a smaller 4k screen there wouldn't be any issue going from one edge to another. While true, IMO it is at expense of reducing amount of content on the screen.... Eg we've got 28" 4k displays at work and I dislike them. 150dpi or whatever is way too high. Everything is way too small. First of all Windows sucks with such high dpi, menus and everything is all too tiny. I'm often sshed into many systems and am using console and I always just want to increase font size more and more, or if I have web page open I want to zoom page to make things easier to read... to the point that I gain nothing by the super high DPI, I might as well just have a 1440p display.

IMO 100-120dpi range is ideal, at least for normal viewing distance. 4k at 110-120dpi would be between 36-40". I'd be okay with 36" I guess, but when you then look at available displays, 36" isn't really an option... its either 39" for $380 or you go super tiny.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that people usually don't ask for less of something,.....they typically ask for more,.....

So I suggest you upgrade that 39" monitor to a 50",.......... :)

You can thank me later,....... ;)

The size immersion can make you queasy. With something smaller, its just taking up your central field and less taxing overall. And probably the panel tech has something to do with it. Its not e-ink.

Depends on the desk setup, but I doubt I'd ever be comfortable with a 39" screen unless it was a curved 21:9 setup. 39" wouldn't be awful at 4k, but it's still a bit bigger than I'd like.

Just keep in mind that people usually don't ask for less of something,.....they typically ask for more,.....

So I suggest you upgrade that 39" monitor to a 50",.......... :)

You can thank me later,....... ;)

Agreed. ;)

The bigger it is the further back you should sit, but I can't really say 39" is too big. I'd just think of it as having more space to put stuff. I can imagine opening like two or three main programs in my immediate FOV and then having some other stuff off to the side that I might need to look at -- something like that.

The bigger it is the further back you should sit, but I can't really say 39" is too big. I'd just think of it as having more space to put stuff. I can imagine opening like two or three main programs in my immediate FOV and then having some other stuff off to the side that I might need to look at -- something like that.
Treat it the same as if you had 4 different monitors, just without bezels.

Back