3870x2 and 3870 to gtx465

newbs

Gawd
Would going from a 3870x2 crossfired with a 3870 to a gtx 465 be much of an upgrade?

Good Luck finding a benchmark to compare that lol....

Well i found something close.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/graphics-cards,1.html

If you look through there charts the closest i found was 2 x 3870x2's Which is a bit ahead of a 460, So it should be pretty close with the obvious smoother game play from not having 3 way Crossfire. Cant really say it would be an upgrade other than not having to deal with 3 way crossfire.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I would guess yes the 465 would be an upgrade. It will almost certainly produce smoother framerates since it isn't relying on Crossfire scaling. And it would particularly be faster if you're gaming at a resolution above, say, 1280x720, so that the 512MB memory on the 3870 would be filled.

OP I'd be waiting for a 6950 or a GTX 570 (probably around $329.99-$349.99) both card are probably gonna be here around mid December. If they are outside your budget, please post your budget and specs.

OP I'd be waiting for a 6950 or a GTX 570 (probably around $329.99-$349.99) both card are probably gonna be here around mid December. If they are outside your budget, please post your budget and specs.

Please read there is no cost involved as I can source the 465 from a machine I already have. If you want the specs I can do that I suppose.
Currently her machine is a I7 860 12gig 3870x2&3870 4hdd 1 optical drive SB audigy 1 or 2. Soon her machine will be an I7 950 12 or 15 gigs (unless more is needed) same hdd's,optical and sound card and either current video cards or a 465.

Please read there is no cost involved as I can source the 465 from a machine I already have. If you want the specs I can do that I suppose.
Currently her machine is a I7 860 12gig 3870x2&3870 4hdd 1 optical drive SB audigy 1 or 2. Soon her machine will be an I7 950 12 or 15 gigs (unless more is needed) same hdd's,optical and sound card and either current video cards or a 465.

In that case it wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all actually. What about giving her both of the 465s and getting yourself or whoever owns the other system one of the above mentioned cards.

Not really trying to buy anything since pc budget is tight due to upgrading most of our machines. She does not game hard and only at 1600x1200. But a good point about frame buffer was made, so if gpu is only slight at least there is more ram. Besides when I get the itch to replace my tri 470's she can have those.

Not really trying to buy anything since pc budget is tight due to upgrading most of our machines. She does not game hard and only at 1600x1200. But a good point about frame buffer was made, so if gpu is only slight at least there is more ram. Besides when I get the itch to replace my tri 470's she can have those.

Based on that then she is fine with what she has but going to a GTX 465 isn't going to be upgrading much. Obviously it's your decision to make so it looks like she'll have similar performance either way you go. Nothing will make her much happier than the other. She may be a bit happier with the GTX 465 and that'll probably generate less heat and pull less power than the 2 cards she has now.

Back