• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$374.92 build

akapaulk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2002
Messages
1,315
This computer is to replace my parent's old Windows XP computer from 2002. They just use it to get on the web and use MS Office. They already have the monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers. My goal was to provide a low income priced computer with quality parts. Please let me know what you think. Am I missing anything?

Burner
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$17.99

Case
Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$29.99

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$54.99

PSU
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
$29.99

RAM
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD2U800B1G5-DRH
$41.99

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$47.99

CPU
Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300
$51.99

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
$99

===================
Total: $374.92 + $0.99 shipping
 
I concur with lt_shiro, you're better off with a prebuilt than that DIY setup in terms of quality and best bang for the buck performance.

However, if you still want to do the DIY route, here's a better build:
$94 - AMD Athlon II X2 245 CPU + MSI 740GM-P25 AMD 740G mATX Motherboard
$43 - Patriot 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$40 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA380D 380W PSU
$30 - Rosewill R218-P-BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
---
Total: $381 plus tax and shipping

Significantly faster CPU, room for future CPU upgrades, significantly faster hard drive, and significantly better quality PSU. Only $6 more than your current setup.
 
Count this as a third vote for a prebuilt system on sale. Check the GenHard FAQ for a list of links for bargain hunting websites. With Back to School season in full swing, you should be able to find a real good deal on a desktop or notebook computer system.

You can also check out the Dell Outlet for some good deals on refurbished systems.
 
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/37228/hp-pavillion-refurb-desktops-p6240f-w-core-2-quad-q8300-2.5-ghz,-8gb-ddr3,-750gb-hdd,-wifi-n-$369,-s5220f-slim-w-dual-core-e5300-2.6-ghz,-4gb-ddr2,-640gb-hdd-$249-&-more
 
So I don't ever recommend prebuilt because well, I just don't like em. But for the uses I would do a Dual Core Atom since there a bit easier on the power bill & almost non existent on the desk if done right.

80 Antec ISK 300-65 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel Mini-ITX
45 SONY Black 8X DVD+R
7 Sata Power 7+6pin Cable (needed for the slim optical drive)
38 Rendition by Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
40 Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9160412AS 160GB 7200 RPM
162 Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo + Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

389 Shipped Total.. Also I built one of these for a family member a while back & she has had NO problems with it. Wont be as fast as the other builds above & not much if any cheaper, but very limited moving parts so almost no noise & very compact.. Yet will still do anything that most people need.
 
I concur with lt_shiro, you're better off with a prebuilt than that DIY setup in terms of quality and best bang for the buck performance.

However, if you still want to do the DIY route, here's a better build:
$94 - AMD Athlon II X2 245 CPU + MSI 740GM-P25 AMD 740G mATX Motherboard
$43 - Patriot 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$40 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA380D 380W PSU
$30 - Rosewill R218-P-BK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
---
Total: $381 plus tax and shipping

Significantly faster CPU, room for future CPU upgrades, significantly faster hard drive, and significantly better quality PSU. Only $6 more than your current setup.

As usual Danny picks out a great combo for both price and performance. And while I hate prebuilts, they do have their place. I usually just hand down my old builds to my mom but if I was in your situation I would seriously contemplate just getting a pre-built with support. A lot less headache for you if something goes wrong.
 
As usual Danny picks out a great combo for both price and performance. And while I hate prebuilts, they do have their place. I usually just hand down my old builds to my mom but if I was in your situation I would seriously contemplate just getting a pre-built with support. A lot less headache for you if something goes wrong.

This is always the argument for prebuilts.. But ya know I have done alot less tech support for my family since I started building there systems instead of letting them use prebuilt.. At this point only 1 person still has issues & its a HP slim that my step mom has.. & I am just waiting to change that out..
 
Back
Top