3700X: High Temp Underloaded...

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
How is it my 3700X running at everything Auto except memory using XMP, and the temp gets up to 91 using Corsair H115i Pro when using AIDA64 to stress it? Reapplying thermal paste doesn't change anything. This is too high, especially when using a watercooler. What else to try?

I've noticed something different about VID in Coretemp64, though. It's fluctuating between 1.4325v and 1.5000v, but mostly it stays at 1.4625v. Speed jumps everywhere, but it stays most at 4.290Ghz (99.79x43). Isn't anything 1.4+ VID too high?

Last edited:
Could it possibly be a bad pump?

What tool are using to report temps?

How is it my 3700X running at everything Auto except memory using XMP, and the temp gets up to 91 using Corsair H115i Pro when using AIDA64 to stress it? Reapplying thermal paste doesn't change anything. This is too high, especially when using a watercooler. What else to try?

I've noticed something different about VID in Coretemp64, though. It's fluctuating between 1.4325v and 1.5000v, but mostly it stays at 1.4625v. Speed jumps everywhere, but it stays most at 4.290Ghz (99.79x43). Isn't anything 1.4+ VID too high?

A few things. First off, use Ryzen Master for monitoring on those. Secondly, the voltage behavior is actually normal. At stock settings these CPU's will sometimes pull upwards of 1.5v in order to hit their maximum boost clocks or to maintain a higher all core clock when fully loaded. They do this in bursts. It's perfectly safe and normal per AMD. I've seen this behavior out of the entire Ryzen 3000 series family on half a dozen boards. Clock speeds being inconsistent is also normal. Clock speeds on these processors are not static values. That's part of the controversy with regard to boost clocks as these CPU's rarely if ever achieve their advertised boost clocks.

As for your Corsair H115i Pro, try doing other tests besides AIDA64's stress test. See what you get. There may be something wrong with the cooler, but it might just be something with that particular test. I don't know as I haven't run that. I will say that ordinarily on automatic settings you won't see these CPU's hit those temps. It will retard the clocks and voltage enough to keep that from happening. However, with autoOC or PBO-AutoOC, hitting just below the thermal throttling threshold isn't unusual. They'll do that as the automatic OC is pushing the CPU's clocks as high as it can for as long as it can. This results in higher overall boost clocks under all conditions and thus, higher temperatures.

20200402_111538.jpg
20200402_111553.jpg

Pictures of the two screens...

Attachments

• 20200402_111538.jpg
    20200402_111538.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 0
I should state this is on a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra with G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600C16 memory.

A few things. First off, use Ryzen Master for monitoring on those. Secondly, the voltage behavior is actually normal. At stock settings these CPU's will sometimes pull upwards of 1.5v in order to hit their maximum boost clocks or to maintain a higher all core clock when fully loaded. They do this in bursts. It's perfectly safe and normal per AMD. I've seen this behavior out of the entire Ryzen 3000 series family on half a dozen boards. Clock speeds being inconsistent is also normal. Clock speeds on these processors are not static values. That's part of the controversy with regard to boost clocks as these CPU's rarely if ever achieve their advertised boost clocks.

As for your Corsair H115i Pro, try doing other tests besides AIDA64's stress test. See what you get. There may be something wrong with the cooler, but it might just be something with that particular test. I don't know as I haven't run that. I will say that ordinarily on automatic settings you won't see these CPU's hit those temps. It will retard the clocks and voltage enough to keep that from happening. However, with autoOC or PBO-AutoOC, hitting just below the thermal throttling threshold isn't unusual. They'll do that as the automatic OC is pushing the CPU's clocks as high as it can for as long as it can. This results in higher overall boost clocks under all conditions and thus, higher temperatures.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a little more relaxed now.

turn the fans up on the aio and lower the cpu voltage in bios -.05 to -.10v

turn the fans up on the aio and lower the cpu voltage in bios -.05 to -.10v

Can't find where to turn on the fan on the AIO to run at max. There's a profile to run at Extreme, which only goes up to 1150 RPMs.

It's a shame, can't really get this Ultra board to run nice with the 3700X CPU. I manually set the vcore to 1.3000v and in the BIOS, it's displaying as 1.308xx, but in Windows, Coretemp64 says it's only 1.0687v, but the temp still peaks at 75. If everything is left at Auto, it peaks at 91 and VID is 1.4625v! On my X470 AORUS Gaming 7 Wifi with the 2700X, I let everything at Auto and it runs cool, peaks at 61 with a VID of 1.2562v. This glitch is making me go berserk!

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with this CPU. Or board?

No, actually not, but I swap CPUs (2700X to the X570 and the 3700X to the X470 board) and I'm able to somehow replicate the issue. The 2700X also runs cool on the X570, and the 3700X runs hot on the X470 board. It's peaking at 78 on the X470, whereas the 2700X only peaks at 68 on the X570 board. I'm beginning to think it's a CPU issue here. It's on BIOS F11, so I'm going to try F12e and see if it makes any difference at all.

Last edited:
3000 Series run way hotter than 2000 series, that is not an apples to apples comparisson, also, CoreTemp DON'T show CPU Vcore, it show CPU VID which is not the same as Vcore... as Dan_D said above install and do all the monitoring with Ryzen Master. there is where you will get accurate readings for everything, Aida64 CPU and CPU Diode readings are tipically wrong by few degrees.

Also be sure to set the pump speed to performance mode or extreme.

IMHO, everything it's fine with your CPU..

3000 Series run way hotter than 2000 series, that is not an apples to apples comparisson, also, CoreTemp DON'T show CPU Vcore, it show CPU VID which is not the same as Vcore... as Dan_D said above install and do all the monitoring with Ryzen Master. there is where you will get accurate readings for everything, Aida64 CPU and CPU Diode readings are tipically wrong by few degrees.

Also be sure to set the pump speed to performance mode or extreme.

IMHO, everything it's fine with your CPU..
Yeap, I installed Ryzen Master. Very informative. I don't know what is going on, but both Ryzen's 100 multiplier (used to be called Front Side Bus or FSB) fluctuates a lot, even goes down as far 80s, but it's never 100. Closest to that is 99.7 or something. I may be wrong, maybe the software doesn't really read it correctly, but the fluctuating is very bad. Is that normal? Don't remember Intel going this low, but my memory could just be fading.

On the new BIOS for my X570, but the temp doesn't change. The X470 is already on the latest BIOS. Okay, just gonna accept the fact that 3000 CPUs run hotter than 2000.

The fluctuations are normal. You can't really compare these CPU's to Intel's in terms of behavior and judge them by the same criteria. The bus as you call it is actually the base clock. It's just a value that's used as the basis for the clocks of the CPU, RAM, etc. There is no front side bus in the traditional sense. There hasn't been for over a decade now. The value is somewhat dynamic. They also never read 100MHz on Intel or AMD systems in most cases.

Can't find where to turn on the fan on the AIO to run at max. There's a profile to run at Extreme, which only goes up to 1150 RPMs.
is there not a custom option? there was last time i used their icue. other option it to connect them to the cpu fan header and make a custom fan curve for that header.
also, what dan_d said is true, these are not like other chips and yours is acting normally.

hwinfo 64 is best besides ryzen master to see temps

also an AIO 2x140 should never let that little ryzen get that hot. You probably have a bad aio

hwinfo 64 is best besides ryzen master to see temps

also an AIO 2x140 should never let that little ryzen get that hot. You probably have a bad aio
if the aio was bad it'd be hitting 100c no prob. he needs to get it configured right.

Set you H115i to have a custom fan curve and set it to CPU temp and make the fan curve, you need to add a custom curve using the + (add) button where you set the speeds. I have an H115i Platinum with custom fan curves created and my temps when running AIDA Stress test my CPU sits around 75C on my R9 3900X with all cores at 4.25Ghz.

Set you H115i to have a custom fan curve and set it to CPU temp and make the fan curve, you need to add a custom curve using the + (add) button where you set the speeds. I have an H115i Platinum with custom fan curves created and my temps when running AIDA Stress test my CPU sits around 75C on my R9 3900X with all cores at 4.25Ghz.
I guess I don't know how to use iCue. I created a Custom Profile and see the option to adjust the Custom Curve, and I adjust it to rev up the RPM or set it to 100% fan speed when it gets hot, but it's not doing it. There is no Apply button to click. And by just creating the Profile, I see that the RGB lighting work for fan and mouse, but I can't seem to make the CPU fan speed up. I'm at a loss here.

I guess I don't know how to use iCue. I created a Custom Profile and see the option to adjust the Custom Curve, and I adjust it to rev up the RPM or set it to 100% fan speed when it gets hot, but it's not doing it. There is no Apply button to click. And by just creating the Profile, I see that the RGB lighting work for fan and mouse, but I can't seem to make the CPU fan speed up. I'm at a loss here.
*how are the fans connected? to the block or to the mobo?
edit: "how" not "now"

Last edited:
Okay, just realized that 1200 is the max speed these fans can go. Bummer... This is insufficient to my liking. Time to hunt for a new AIO, maybe Kraken Z63, but the price is so high up there.

Last edited:
no idea what youre doing wrong. how are they connected? also, you should up the pump's speed too, now that i see its set to quiet.
ps, the fans should max at 2000rpm.

*how are the fans connected? to the block or to the mobo?
edit: "how" not "now"

no idea what youre doing wrong. how are they connected? also, you should up the pump's speed too, now that i see its set to quiet.
ps, the fans should max at 2000rpm.

Both fans are connected to the cable on the pump's head. No fans are connected directly to the CPU fan header on the board. My two fans max at 1200, even if I set it to 100%. Just set the Pump to Extreme, which is at 2780s RPMs now.

Okay, just realized that 1200 is the max speed these fans can go. Bummer... This is insufficient to my liking. Time to hunt for a new AIO, maybe Kraken Z63, but the price is so high up there.
Just replace the fans not to cooler

Also please dont use a curve when water cooling. Use a static rpm. Set it to the best noise to cooling ratio you like and forget it.

I dont have the energy to explain 20 years of water cooling experience in a paragraph

No fans are connected directly to the CPU fan header on the board. My two fans max at 1200, even if I set it to 100%.
my bad! i googled your aio and accidentally when to the platinum version which has higher rpm fans. your Pro versions max out at 1200(+/- 10%, usually). so they are close to max already but no idea why they are stuck there.

Also please dont use a curve when water cooling. Use a static rpm. Set it to the best noise to cooling ratio you like and forget it.
fans or pump? we're dealing with an aio not custom, so static fans are not gonna work as good.

my bad! i googled your aio and accidentally when to the platinum version which has higher rpm fans. your Pro versions max out at 1200(+/- 10%, usually). so they are close to max already but no idea why they are stuck there.

fans or pump? we're dealing with an aio not custom, so static fans are not gonna work as good.

edit* sorry for typos... earlier I posted all of this from my cellphone sitting in my car chilling under a shady tree.

Set both to static. The principle is the same.
Water needs to maintain a constant velocity in order to maximize cooling potential. Water doesnt react to heat spikes like air does where you need instant radiation of the heatpipes. Water will hang on to its heat for hundreds of passes as it dissipates it pass by pass through the heat exchanger. Water is like a thermal sponge. It can suck up alot of heat over time and release its heat over time. Water cools by keeping a relative medium of constant absorption vs constant release.

Variable load throttling fans and pumps in an aio and custom loop hinders and hampers cooling performance.

In a big custom loop you can even turn rad fans off for quite a while as long as pumps moving and your cpu will not get hot until the water heats up to a point the cou gets hotter and hotter. I emergency tested my loop on my 3960x and was able to run 100% cpu for 37 mins before it got into 80s C. Normally mid 60s full load. Highest possible load is 71c avg. Water has a massive thermal capacity thanks to those nifty little hydrogen bonds. My loop contains just over 1 Liter of coolant. Which is about 1kg mass. 1g of water can absorb 4.186 joules per degree C so 1 liter of water can absorb over 4000 joules or 4kw of thermal energy before it raises 1c. Amazing property of water.

Last edited:
Variable load throttling fans and pumps in an aio and custom loop hinders and hampers cooling performance.
well, that goes back you saying "Set it to the best noise to cooling ratio you like and forget it." if you want better cooling under load, ramp the fans up until its at the desired noise/cooling level.

Set both to static. The principle is the same.
Water needs to maintain a constant velocity in order to maximize cooling potential. Water doesnt react to heat spikes like air does where you need instant radiation of the heatpipes. Water will hang on to its heat for hundreds of passes as it dissipates it pass by pass through the heat exchanger. Water is like a thermal sponge. It can suck up alot of heat over time and release its heat over time. Water cools by keeping a relative medium of constant absorption vs constant release.

In a big custum loop you can even turn rad fans off for quite a while as long as pumps moving and your cpu will not get hot until the water heats up to a point the cou gets hotter and hotter. I emergency tested my loop on my 3960x and was able to run 100% cpu for 37 mins before it got into 80s C. Normally mid 60s full load. Highest possible load is 71c avg. Water has a massive thermal capacity thanks to those nifty little hydrogen bonds. My loop contains just over 1 Liter of coolant. Which is about 1kg mass. 1g of water can absorb 4.186 joules per degree C so 1 liter of water can absorb over 4000 joules or 4kw of thermal energy before it raises 1c. Amazing property of water.

I set mine to a static speed for normal type temps/use. I have another profile that has the fans set a little higher for gaming to keep my 3900x under 70C. I do ramp them up after 50C since they are pretty quiet and do not ramp up immediately, they step up in speed slowly as to not react to spikes. I do notice that my temps will stay lower by making sure the fans are at 100% by 65C and they keep it under 70 in everything I do, P95 will of course push the temps up to 85C. If I left the fans at say 60% and never ramped them up via the curve then my temps would not stay below 70C like I want the to, to get the most performance from my CPU. I notice that after 70C is when it starts to not boost as high all core as it does under it. But my fans max out at 2000RPM.

Your loop of course with so much coolant will take longer as you said to heat that water up so that it does not cool as efficiently. My poor little 280AIO has the coolant changing temps, going up, in a matter of seconds with the 3900x at 100%. And it rises quicker, of course, the longer it is at 100%. I want a custom loop next but with this whole world shut down it will take a bit longer for me to want to spend $500, which is what the pretty Corsair custom one I want to build costs.

I use the Corsair H100i Platinum on my Ryzen 5 3600 in auto overclocking mode and run it in balance mode.

Check your mounting. Maybe it's not making full contact would be my guess.

I saw some EK custom kits at the local Microcenter, but they almost cost as much my life is worth, so can't afford one.

Better than my AIO water cooler? Something's wrong with my setup for sure.

just ignore that.. there's no way in hell that persons getting 60C on the stock cooler without it locked at 100% fan speed.. stock coolers good but it's not that good.

Back