360 with VGA problem

Corbin

Limp Gawd
first of all I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but it has a lot to do with my 360 so I'll post it here.

I want to hook my 360 up to my pc monitor (this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8448584) with this cable (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5651709) and when trying to change my monitor's dispay to vga the screen turns black and then turns back on as dvi again. Does anyone know why it does this?
Ps I don't have any of the audio cables plugged in.

when i try i turn the xbox on with the controller but the controller just blinks and none of the 1/4 of the rings around the on button come on

when i try i turn the xbox on with the controller but the controller just blinks and none of the 1/4 of the rings around the on button come on

Sounds like your controller is not synch'd up with your 360. Try to synch them up again.

all 3 of them were synced right before switching the normal component cables from the tv to the vga ones to the monitor. Although i did have to unplug the power to switch things around.

I also did sync when I turned it on but still to no effect. I'm going to lay this off for awhile mainly because my tv is working fine right now and I don't even have the sound adapter to make it so I can use my speakers with the setup. thanks for the help however.

first of all I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but it has a lot to do with my 360 so I'll post it here.

I want to hook my 360 up to my pc monitor (this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8448584) with this cable (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5651709) and when trying to change my monitor's dispay to vga the screen turns black and then turns back on as dvi again. Does anyone know why it does this?
Ps I don't have any of the audio cables plugged in.

I'd pack up that VGA adapter, return it, then grab a simple HDMI-to-DVI cable instead (assuming you have a Xbox360 with a HDMI port and an audio dongle). It's cheaper and you'll get a nice and vibrant digital signal.

I'd pack up that VGA adapter, return it, then grab a simple HDMI-to-DVI cable instead (assuming you have a Xbox360 with a HDMI port and an audio dongle). It's cheaper and you'll get a nice and vibrant digital signal.

If you used this method, what would be the best way to get audio? Using the default AV cable and hooking that up to a converter > speakers?

You can't use the default av cables without modifying them. They block the HDMI port. You either have to buy the audio accessory from M$, buy low profile 3rd part cables, or modify your current cables (cutting).

Yes, that's the standard AV/Component cables. My 360 Elite came with an audio dongle, which is especially thin as to not block the HDMI port. If you don't have one, it's might be too much work to try to ebay one. If you have a premium unit you'd have to...

1. Buy an Xbox360 audio dongle. Can find em on ebay.
2. Buy a RCA (male) to 3.5mm (female) adapter. This allows you to plug-in your computer speakers. Otherwise the dongle includes an optical audio port.
3. Buy a HDMI (male) to DVI (male) cable. Linked you to a 10ft cable, but you may want more.

The audio dongle makes the entire package pricey, so in the end, you'd be spending about the same as you would on an official Xbox360 VGA adapter. Is it worth it? Depends on how nuts you are about image quality. You could go VGA and be happy without ever knowing what it looks like in DVI.. but once you know, you wont go back. The digital image is noticably better in comparison to my friend's VGA setup, but it's not going to blow anyone away.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
VGA and HDMI don't look all that different for me, especially if you're already scaling up to 1080p. The main thing is that the VGA adapter doesn't necessarily auto-fit the image to your TV/monitor like a DVI/HDMI will do. You might have to tinker with your image alignment/sizing settings.

VGA and HDMI don't look all that different for me, especially if you're already scaling up to 1080p. The main thing is that the VGA adapter doesn't necessarily auto-fit the image to your TV/monitor like a DVI/HDMI will do. You might have to tinker with your image alignment/sizing settings.

Very very similar and after tinkering with the settings on the VGA display, my room mate could get his display somewhat close to looking like mine, but he absolutely could not match my contrast and especially black levels. He has this Asus 22" LCD display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236050 and I have a Dell 2005FPW.

Asus VW224U Image
Display (projector) image aspect ratio 16:10
Image brightness 300 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Max horizontal view angle 170
Max vertical view angle 160
2ms GTG panel

Dell 2005fpw Image
Display (projector) image aspect ratio 16:10
Image brightness 300 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 600:1
Max horizontal view angle +88 / -88
Max vertical view angle +88 / -88
12ms S-IPS panel

Could be the differences in our panels. But even switch from VGA to HDMI/DVI on my own, I could tell the difference.

The difference between VGA and Digital (HDMI or DVI) is minimal with X360, but I do agree color and contrast do seem different. Your comparison is hard to validate though since your comparing a newer TN panel (Asus) with a much older IPS panel (Dell). The IPS probably does color a lot better to begin.

The difference between VGA and Digital (HDMI or DVI) is minimal with X360, but I do agree color and contrast do seem different.
It's minimal depending on the resolution of your monitor. I'm using a cheap 22" 1680x1050 HDTV that will only allow 720p and lower signals through HDMI from the 360, and as a bonus it will only do full-screen at 720p (thus doing the 16:9 to 16:10 stretch). So, the VGA works a lot better for me in that the 360 will output a 1680x1050 signal and retain the proper aspect ratio. Also, the 360's scaler seems to do a better job than the one in my TV, but YMMV if you spent more than $220 on an HDTV (which I consider a "score" considering I'm cheap and I sit close anyway). :D

Back